• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wow! Kudos To This Public School Principal...

• Members

It's been done. I know of a family with virtually no education who homeschooled their children. Their oldest boy is now attending Pensacola Christian College majoring in political science. When you get to a tough area you just hire a tutor like my brother did for his kids.

There are also numerous materials and full curriculums out there which are designed to teach directly to the student. With these, students can learn the new material step-by-step (as can the parents if they wish).

As well, there are many computer programs and DVDs which teach that which the parents may not understand or that students need more help in.

In more populated areas there are often homeschool groups where those with expertise in certain areas help instruct, tutor or teach various children in these areas.

As has been mentioned, if the Lord leads parents to homeschool He will bless their obedience.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There are also numerous materials and full curriculums out there which are designed to teach directly to the student. With these, students can learn the new material step-by-step (as can the parents if they wish).

As well, there are many computer programs and DVDs which teach that which the parents may not understand or that students need more help in.

In more populated areas there are often homeschool groups where those with expertise in certain areas help instruct, tutor or teach various children in these areas.

As has been mentioned, if the Lord leads parents to homeschool He will bless their obedience.

:amen: to ALL of this. I highlighted 2 areas. :)

In Christ ~

Molly

• Administrators

pt - I don't think he was referring to curricula...I think he was more indicating the manner in which the children are treated. I have taught in several Christian schools, and attended several as I was growing up (I was very fortunate to be in on the beginning of the Christian school movement!).

Most Christian schools keep in close contact with the parents regarding a child's behavior. That is very important, because they are at school more than at home during their waking hours during the week. Our school is excellent about that! The teachers come to the home and visit, we have specific times of meeting to get grades, and anytime there is a problem or concern (whether it's parent or teacher), the teacher or the principal will meet with the parent.

I agree that parents should know everything about the school. The curriculum, philosophy of education (which is generally obvious in choice of curriculum), the spirituality of the staff, disciplinary procedures, etc. And I also agree that, once the kids are in the school, the parents should let the school do what it does. But - when kids aren't in boarding school, parents are very involved - homework, etc, etc.

• Members
Agreed' date=' we are huge supporters of parent lead home schooling and Christians schools (as they answer much more directly to parents). We did that with our children.[/quote']

I just noticed the part about Christian schools answering much more directly to parents. I totally disagree with this. Parents (unless they are academically qualified, and even then only in a very limited capacity) have no business interferring with a schools curriculum and methods. Their influence in that sphere is limited to which school they choose. They should find out what the school teaches and how before enrolling their children there. They have no right to enrol the children and then attack the curriculum and methods afterwards. Math is math, english is english and science is science. Parent's, nor anyone elses', opinions cannot change that. When parents think they know more than teachers (unless the teacher is obviously/blatantly wrong) then the child's education suffers at the expense of the adults' egos.

I know I'm a little biased as I was educated in this manner, but when kids (if and when I have them) reach the age of 12 they are going to the best Anglican boarding school they can get into (after my review of the curriculum of course) and I'm going to leave the rest to God.

You make me laugh, seriously I'm chuckling. You haven't even had children yet and you are an expert. Talk about an ego!