• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Paul Chappell - 12 Myths Of Pastoral Leadership

RSS Robot

• Members

pastoral-leadership

The problem with myths is their sly way of embedding themselves into your assumptions. They just become part of your thinking without you even realizing it.

Some of the myths below are commonly-held pastoral beliefs that we pastors have held without comparing them to Scripture. Others are commonly-held beliefs that we would never give voice to, but nonetheless, we act as if we do indeed believe them. How many of these have worked their way into your life and ministry?

1. The pastor’s first priority is the work.

Yes, God created Adam for the Garden, but He commanded Adam to cleave to his wife. We are commanded to love our wives as Christ loved the church. This means our marriage and family is our first responsibility—not the church.

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;—Ephesians 5:25

2. Time alone is selfish.

When you’re in ministry, there are always needs before you, and it’s easy to feel guilty for taking alone time to replenish. The truth is pastors need quiet times to let down and open up to God for replenishment and renewal. George McDonald wisely said, “The acquisition, maintenance, and siphoning off of spiritual energy is the chief concern of a pastor wanting to stay vital.”

And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he we
nt
out, and departed i
nt
o a solitary place, and there prayed.—Mark 1:35

And he said u
nt
o them, Come ye yourselves apart i
nt
o a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.—Mark 6:31

3. Planning a quality program is the key to success.

Ministry success is not about a program. It is about personal faithfulness and investing in eternity. Success is reached by being filled with the Holy Spirit, being obedient to the Great Commission, and being faithful to preach the Word of God. When we invest more time in planning a program than we do in those three areas, we may build apparent success, but it will be hollow and will not produce spiritual maturity in the lives of those we lead.

Preach the word; be insta
nt
in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.—2 Tim
ot
hy 4:2

4. The leader must be an expert in all areas of life.

No one is an expert in every area. A good pastor assembles a team of people who can help advise in financial, spiritual, and relational areas. The pastor will be a big part of that counsel, but he should not pretend to have every answer. Actually, there is a problem when a pastor has to be right or the best in every situation. Ultimately, the Word of God is our final authority.

A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain u
nt
o wise counsels:—Proverbs 1:5

Without counsel purposes are disappoi
nt
ed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.—Proverbs 15:22

5. It’s a sign of weakness to admit when you are wrong.

If a pastor has been wrong or offensive, he should be willing to apologize.

A man’s pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.—Proverbs 29:23

6. Corporate worship is replenishing.

Leading a church service, preaching, and ministering before and after services is extremely exhausting. These activities are the pouring out of spiritual energy, and that energy must be replenished.

For which cause we fai
nt
n
ot
; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.—2 Cori
nt
hians 4:16

7. Pastors are responsible to win the whole world.

Pastors should faithfully witness in their Jerusalem and occasionally in other fields as God allows. But it is not their responsibility to win every person in their community to the Lord—this is the church’s responsibility. The pastor should train and equip others to witness.

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the sai
nt
s, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:—Ephesians 4:11–12

8. Pastors are to be constantly available.

We try to be, and we do answer calls at all hours of the day, night, and week. But in reality, no one is available 24/7 for 365 days a year. I remember once when I flew home from our family vacation to conduct a funeral. At the time, I thought it was a good idea, but looking back, I’m not sure it was the best message to my family.

Although pastors must be willing to spend and be spent for people, we need to recognize our limitations and trust God to meet the needs we cannot meet. By avoiding the super-hero syndrome, we actually provide opportunity for others in the body of Christ to minister.

Bear ye one an
ot
her’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.—Galatians 6:2

9. Pastors can only be close with other pastors.

Pastors should have real spiritual relationships with men in their own churches. In fact, sometimes other pastors are quick to judge and gossip and will not always be the safe haven of friendship we think they will be.

Oi
nt
me
nt
and perfume rejoice the heart: so d
ot
h the sweetness of a man’s friend by hearty counsel.—Proverbs 27:9

10. Pastors’ best talents must be used with upwardly mobile people.

True successful ministry is downwardly mobile, and it is characterized by humility and prayer. Spiritual leaders are admonished to train faithful men, not successful men.

And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach
ot
hers also.—2 Tim
ot
hy 2:2

Often, the Lord allows trials in our lives to take us back to the cross and to bring us back to a place of humble investment in other’s lives.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet n
ot
I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.—Galatians 2:20

11. Pastors in contemporary culture can avoid hate and slander.

The only way to avoid criticism is to attempt nothing, be nothing, and do nothing for God.

And he spake before his brethren and the army of Samaria, and said, What do these feeble Jews? will they fortify themselves? will they sacrifice? will they make an end in a day? will they revive the stones out of the heaps of the rubbish which are burned? Now T
ob
iah the Ammonite was by him, and he said, Even that which they build, if a fox go up, he shall even break down their stone wall.—Nehemiah 4:2–3

12. A pastor’s value is measured in his development of institutions or great evangelistic outreaches.

In reality, aspiring to heavy leadership is a silly pursuit. First, because heavy leadership does not make us more valuable—our real worth is based on our spiritual birth. Second, because we should only want what God wants. The greatest joy is to serve—not to be recognized.

For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is n
ot
he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.—Luke 22:27

I’d like to tell you that I’ve identified these myths by observation only. But the truth is, I’ve believed them at times. Some of them I’ve believed for quite some time before the Lord exposed their fallacy to me. And every time He has exposed these myths for what they are, it has come as a sense of relief. I can’t be the perfect pastor, and God does not expect me to be. I can, however, be faithful and minister to His people in His strength!

View the full article

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Myths that were missed:

The role of 'a pastor' is spelled out in scripture.

A church should have a single human leader, rather than be led by all of its elders.

That presbytery should be discarded, for Nicolaity, which thing God hates.

Anishinaabe

A house  that is divided cannot stand!!! Who ever heard of a group of Baptist agreeing on anything? :amen:

• Members

Care to elaborate?

Eph 4:11
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

This is the only mention of the word "pastor" in the NT. It is part of a subset, in the plural form, and made equal to "teachers" (by English grammar rules) by its placement and punctuation.

1Ti 4:14
14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

The church was born with a presbytery leadership, all the elders were equal.

Eph 5:23
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church:and he is the saviour of the body.

The only Head that the church has ever had, is Christ.

Rev 2:6
6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

When the pastorking was introduced (Smyrna had this issue), God addressed it by twice saying "i hate".

Anishinaabe

• Moderators

Eph 4:11
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; A pastor is a shepherd, which is a leader of a flock. There are no more apostles, calling-wise, not more prophets, save for preachers, we still have evangelists, though they would be more akin to our missionaries today. So we have pastors and teachers, from a local perspective.

Of course, we have elders and bishops, but there is no evidence that these terms don't speak of the same person as a pastor, though referring to his different roles. Though certainly I subscribe to the biblical idea of multiple elders if necessary, though in a smaller church that would not be necessary.

This is the only mention of the word "pastor" in the NT. It is part of a subset, in the plural form, and made equal to "teachers" (by English grammar rules) by its placement and punctuation. And so it is-a pastor is not greater than a janitor, just in a different area of specific service as a teacher or a janitor or whatever the need.

14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

The church was born with a presbytery leadership, all the elders were equal. No, Paul started most of the churches and dod most of the ordaining of their leaders, though he sent Titus to ordain, as well. Then those so ordained, continued the work. A pastor is leader, though still serevant to all, and answerable to the church.

Eph 5:23
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church:and he is the saviour of the body.

The only Head that the church has ever had, is Christ.

Rev 2:6
6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

When the pastorking was introduced (Smyrna had this issue), God addressed it by twice saying "i hate". The Nicolaitans were the Catholics, more specifically, those who conquored the people, for so the name means..

Anishinaabe

• Members

I see you offer words....your own, Mike. Becsuse you have no scriptural definition, or description of the role of pastor.
We have a whole ficticious character, a "top man" leader, invented on zero biblical mandate.

The church was born with a group of 12 elders, no?

Paul didn't start the church, Jesus did.

Act 20:17
17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.

Phi 1:1
1 Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

I've shown you Biblical evidence of churches which Paul started, and their plurality of leadership.

Your turn...

Anishinaabe

• Members

Brother "Prophet1,"

Could you help me, for I am not precisely certain of your contention in this matter. 

Are you contending against the use of the term "pastor" for the office of spiritual leadership within a church (rather than the terms "bishop" and "elder")?  Or, are you contending against the idea of only a single individual filling this office of spiritual leadership within a church?  (Is the term "pastor" acceptable to you as long as there is a plurality, so that the idea of pastors serving in the role (office) of pastoral leadership is acceptable, but the idea of THE pastor is unacceptable?)

Thank you for your consideration of these questions.

• Members

Brother "Prophet1,"

Could you help me, for I am not precisely certain of your contention in this matter.

Are you contending against the use of the term "pastor" for the office of spiritual leadership within a church (rather than the terms "bishop" and "elder")? Or, are you contending against the idea of only a single individual filling this office of spiritual leadership within a church? (Is the term "pastor" acceptable to you as long as there is a plurality, so that the idea of pastors serving in the role (office) of pastoral leadership is acceptable, but the idea of THE pastor is unacceptable?)

Thank you for your consideration of these questions.

The latter.
The pastoral role is only defined in the OT, and is the same as a teacher...to feed the flock.
The church office is called "bishop".
All bishops, pastors, teachers, and evangelists, in a local church, make up the elders.
The elders are to rule, as a group.

Anishinaabe

• Members

An elder led fellowship with these elder (say three) one or more must have a gift of pastors/teachers, one or more should have the gift of Helps And one or more should have the gifts of administration.

the gift of Prophecy only if he is speaking forth the word of God which will also include some prophecies not yet fulfilled.

only one use of the word pastor(Singular) in scripture  Jer 17:16 As for me, I have not hastened from [being] a pastor to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was

before thee

eight uses of the word pastors 

Jer 2:8 The priests said not, Where [is] the LORD? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after [things that] do not profit.  Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.  Jer 10:21 For the pastors are become brutish, and have not sought the LORD: therefore they shall not prosper, and all their flocks shall be scattered.  Jer 12:10 Many pastors have destroyed my vineyard, they have trodden my portion under foot, they have made my pleasant portion a desolate wilderness.  Jer 22:22 The wind shall eat up all thy pastors, and thy lovers shall go into captivity: surely then shalt thou be ashamed and confounded for all thy wickedness.  Jer 23:1 ¶ Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD.  Jer 23:2 Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the LORD.  Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

There are six uses of the term bishop and you will notice the last one is a title of Jesus Christ.

1Ti 3:1 ¶ This [is] a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.  1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;  2Ti 4:22 The Lord Jesus Christ [be] with thy spirit. Grace [be] with you. Amen. <<[The second [epistle] unto Timotheus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Ephesians, was written from Rome, when Paul was brought before Nero the second time.]>>  Tit 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;  Tit 3:15 All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace [be] with you all. Amen. <<[it was written to Titus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Cretians, from Nicopolis of Macedonia.]>>  1Pe 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

the English word Shepherd is never used in any of Paul's writings to the church.  remember you can't rely on strong's dictionary as most of the Koine Greek words have Classical Greek meanings and this is one of them

Jesus is the chief shepherd of the church not a man.  Now an organization can do what they want but the organism of the body of Christ must recognize Christ as the head of the church  

1Pe 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the of your souls.  1Pe 5:4 And when the shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away. Shepherd and Bishopchief Shepherd

• Moderators

I have a fame and I raise sheep and goats, and as such, as a pastor who is a pastor, I have learned a lot about being the pastor of a church. The sheep I keep are not utimately my own-any good health they have, any growth, I have learned, even when giving good nutrition, it only by God's good grace, because they are His.   Now, I am, as it were, master of the sheep and goats, BUT, as such, it means it is my responsibility to see that they are fed and watered and protected, that I spend time with them in felowship, of sorts, and sometimes, even to discipline them.

So it is for the pastor of a church: I may be an earthly shepherd/undershepherd, caring for the flock of God. I see to their feeding, to their watering, to their protection, ie, preaching against error and fae teachings and false prophets, (wolves), and so forth. They aren't mine-I am their servant, even while eading them, following the Shepherd of our souls.

The problem comes when pastors set themselves above the flock as unanswerable, as unavailable, as too important to be a servant. And yes, we see that very thing happen in IFB churches, though also in other churches, as well. Its wrong wherever it occurs.

BY the way, the church wasn't started by 12 elders, but by 12 disciples who were made apostles-that I recall, they are never called elders.

• Members

You do realise that the main reason the word pastor is used is because of the negative association of the word bishop don't you?
The Catholics etc have changed the meaning of the term so much that it is not helpful for a man to refer to himself as such. It immediately makes him seem self important.
Elder also has with it an understanding that today is misunderstood, especially when associated with the old Presbyterian mob who in their traditional churches especially had ruling elders who ruled with an iron fist and actually dominated the people of their church (that is a generalisation and not so true today), and on more modern times the Mormons have changed it meaning.
I know that most Australians now associate "elder" with mormons.

That leaves pastor as the only "safe" option - that is primarily why the term is used.
I normally tell people to call me anything they like just don't call me late for dinner. ;)

Archived