• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do You Believe There Was Not Rain Before The Flood Of Noah?

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe there was no rain before the Flood of Noah?

• Yes
    • No

• Members

I can't imagine living that long! I don't even want to live another 30 years and I'm only 42. I'm much rather go to heaven, no pain, no crying, no death.

Me neither, BUT!!, we (you and I and everyone reading this) have lots of loved ones and our church family who need us and more importantly, God is not ready to take us home, we have much work to do in serving Him.

• Members

If I remember correctly, you also have a lot of health problems as do I. I live in chronic, daily pain in varying degrees with no relief. Some days it's just hard to feel motivated when there's always so much more that I'd like to do for God and my church. Some days, I feel I'm already to my limit, and pushed to do more than I should physically because people don't understand. Sorry for crying on your shoulder.

• Members

My apologies - maybe the way you worded it, maybe the way I read it, but it appeared to me that you were saying they lived shorter lives than we do - that is why I questioned.

No I meant shorter than the first life.  But even like today some live shorter and some live longer but no one today lives the lengths of those pre-Noahic flood people.

When God spoke to Noah he said, Gen 6:17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.  You will notice this flood is under heaven.  The flood of Gen 1:2 the flood was in the heaven.

Now if it never rained how would Noah know what a flood of waters is?

Gen 7:4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

Now if it never rained how would Noah know what rain is?

That reminds me of Bil Cosby's "Noah" comedy routine Where god tells Noah it was going to rain and Noah replied to the voice "Right! What's rain?"

• Members

If I remember correctly, you also have a lot of health problems as do I. I live in chronic, daily pain in varying degrees with no relief. Some days it's just hard to feel motivated when there's always so much more that I'd like to do for God and my church. Some days, I feel I'm already to my limit, and pushed to do more than I should physically because people don't understand. Sorry for crying on your shoulder.

That's quite alright.  My wife has many pains too but she can work and has a much stronger constitution than I.  When I do push to put on a show for people, it usually takes days to recover and often get sick and need antibiotics for whatever new has cropped up.

I try to do just about nothing on Wednesday so I can make it to bible study and when Saturday comes around try to get things done in moderation but if I overdo it, I miss Sunday school and morning service.

Having said that, I know now that the Lord has not chosen to heal me and my reasonable service is to disciple my family, not all those lofty things I wanted to do in addition.

• Members

No I meant shorter than the first life. But even like today some live shorter and some live longer but no one today lives the lengths of those pre-Noahic flood people.

When God spoke to Noah he said, Gen 6:17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die. You will notice this flood is under heaven. The flood of Gen 1:2 the flood was in the heaven.

Now if it never rained how would Noah know what a flood of waters is?

Gen 7:4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.

Now if it never rained how would Noah know what rain is?

That reminds me of Bil Cosby's "Noah" comedy routine Where god tells Noah it was going to rain and Noah replied to the voice "Right! What's rain?"

If you look at the post of yours that I quoted, you quoted someone else and your answer with their comment makes it look like you were saying that. :lol: misunderstanding with quotes and context.

As far as the rain - I think it is unimportant, but it does seem to me that you enjoy speculation.

God could easily have explained these things to Noah, but as we are all familiar with rain that explanation was unnecessary to include in the record.
What is clear is that there was a time when it didn't rain, but precisely when that time ended is speculation.

• Members

I can't imagine living that long! I don't even want to live another 30 years and I'm only 42. I'm much rather go to heaven, no pain, no crying, no death.

I used to think this, as I have health problems too, Miss Daisy.  I had to miss my chiropractic appointment, this week, b/c my hubby had to take my Jeep to work b/c of the snow on the day of my appointment.  I am feeling it now.  My mid to upper back feels like it is on fire, and I have another terrible headache at the base of my spine to my temples.  Hopefully, this week will be better, and I can see the chiropractor on Friday.  

Me neither, BUT!!, we (you and I and everyone reading this) have lots of loved ones and our church family who need us and more importantly, God is not ready to take us home, we have much work to do in serving Him.

That is my motivation, swath.  So many souls are in need of salvation.

• Members

If you look at the post of yours that I quoted, you quoted someone else and your answer with their comment makes it look like you were saying that. :lol: misunderstanding with quotes and context.

As far as the rain - I think it is unimportant, but it does seem to me that you enjoy speculation.

God could easily have explained these things to Noah, but as we are all familiar with rain that explanation was unnecessary to include in the record.
What is clear is that there was a time when it didn't rain, but precisely when that time ended is speculation.

The speculative things are nice to fool around with and throw back and forth.  the reason I started this one was to reveal how some are taking one particular persons view and running with it and not really looking for them selves.  they will join a speculative view of a favorite personality and take it as gospel truth and yet if I post something just as vague or speculative I get ramrodded.

Geocentricity is another one of those speculative topics. 

• Members

Hebrews 11:7--By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

I believe both the context of Heb 11 and in Gen 6 it is speaking of the flood which is something they had never seen before.

• Members

Genesis 9:13-14 (KJV)
13  I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
14  And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: 

By this it appears no one had ever seen a rainbow before the flood.  Another proof of no rain before the flood.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I know some of you has tilled the ground? It has to be dry, no rain. If you try to buck the system and till anyway, the ground drys out where you've tilled and it becomes a hard packed mess. Dirt clots hard as rocks. A lot of what is planted down in the ground doesn't come up, it starts to grow but the hard ground kills it. If you sow the seed on top of the ground its too hard and the seed opens but it doesn't root. I don't think it had rained because farming backs up the Bible. In modern times when we get a misty rain it only wets the very top of the soil, wait a few hours after its over and a man can plow.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

Seems pretty plain to me.  Why you ask?  because God said it.

Ge 2:5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
 6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

(Emphasis Mine)

So you either believe the account that God gave us by His inspired word, or you don't and need to inject your own human reasoning. I do believe that the Biblical chronology would prove that Gen.2:5 was before the flood.  eh???