• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Old Is The Earth

• Members

In the New Testament, there are three heavens.  God dwells in the "third heaven".  The third heaven is eternal (outside of space/time).

In Genesis, God created what we would call the "second heaven" (stars) and the "first heaven" (birds, clouds), earth and TIME. 

Satan was created before space/time, and originally was the "anointed cherub that covereth" the throne of God (Ezek 28:12b-19).

Revelation 7:11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,
Revelation 7:12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
Revelation 7:13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white rOBes? and whence came they?
Revelation 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their rOBes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
Revelation 7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.
Revelation 7:16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.
Revelation 7:17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.
Revelation 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.

Hmmmm... Silence for about an half hour?  Seems like there is time in the third heaven after all.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Notice the first "the" in Genesis 1:1? This signifies there was only one heaven.  God later separated that heaven into three separate heavens when He divided the firmament.  No big mystery if one reads Genesis 1.

• Members

Revelation 7:11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,
Revelation 7:12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
Revelation 7:13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white rOBes? and whence came they?
Revelation 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their rOBes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
Revelation 7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.
Revelation 7:16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.
Revelation 7:17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.
Revelation 8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.

Hmmmm... Silence for about an half hour? Seems like there is time in the third heaven after all.

Notice the first "the" in Genesis 1:1? This signifies there was only one heaven. God later separated that heaven into three separate heavens when He divided the firmament. No big mystery if one reads Genesis 1.

Or , maybe, Heaven had a visitor from Time, who was commissioned to describe some things that are hard for us to comprehend...

• Members

Or , maybe, Heaven had a visitor from Time, who was commissioned to describe some things that are hard for us to comprehend...

In Addition to Prophets, remarks above,  the word "about" is key in understanding that the one seeing the revelation, a man, is the attributing or guessing a time to how long he experienced the silence.  This does not mean heaven us under any type of time quantum (measurements).  Time only works here on this planet.  Even the scientist and sci-fi writers know that.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

How far is up?  :unsure:  How far is down?   :unsure:

it was a Serious Question.  you either think "from everlasting goes back to the beginning of the six day work of God Gen1:3-31.  or it goes back before Genesis 1:1. 

What we can tell his throne, his person are from everlasting. 

Now when I asked how would you as a man attribute a length of time to be for "From Everlasting"

• Members

Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. JOB 38:4

When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? JOB 38:7

God is not one who "has a lot of time" to accomplish his plans.  God dwells in eternity.  God created the space-time continuum.

In Rev., John is describing things from HIS perspective, using the best language he can to describe events.

Unless the desire is simply to be contentious (Pro 26:21, Rom 2:8),

these concepts are easy to understand by the simplest of minds. 

• Members

And yet, John used a time continuum to describe the silence... IN heaven.

Here's one for ya...

Revelation 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

According to John, there are months where the throne of God is.  Months are measurements of time, just in case you didn't know.

• Members

it was a Serious Question.  you either think "from everlasting goes back to the beginning of the six day work of God Gen1:3-31.  or it goes back before Genesis 1:1. 

What we can tell his throne, his person are from everlasting. 

Now when I asked how would you as a man attribute a length of time to be for "From Everlasting"

Time?  Time is something that does not effect God at all.  God was before time and is after time.  Time is a human experience.  God lives in eternity . . . . no beginning no end.  How can such an idea be measured by us?

It cannot.  Everlasting is a word that will never be fully understood by me or anyone else until we experience it (and then not from it's beginning but it's forever more) in heaven.

Wow, I better get off this subject before I sound completely nuts.  How is it really possible to discuss things that have never been experienced without sounding irrational?

Sorry I tried to answer the question . . . .  :laff cry:

• Members

Like I said if you think from everlasting goes back only to Genesis 1:3-31 six day creation then you have already set a time to what From everlasting is.

But if you think in goes back further then you have not attributed any time measurement to it and that leaves open enough room for the things that the OP states to have happened. 

• Members

The six-day creation did not start at Genesis 1:3... it started at Genesis 1:1

The beginning of what?  Not the beginning of eternity?  Eternity has no beginning, nor does it have a ending. 

So Heaven and Earth had a beginning that did not start in eternity.

I submit that the beginning referred to in Genesis 1:1 was the beginning of time... the first day.

• Members

Well, then I must come to the conclusion that some of you think it is wrong to ask questions about what the Bible is not clear on.  And that some of you feel that everything covering 'from everlasting unto everlasting' is recorded in the Bible.

I wish it was so but it is not true.

• Members

Everything concerning our faith that God wants us to know is recorded in the Holy Bible.  We cannot add to it or take away from it lest we be found to be liars.

In order to teach that the creation of the Earth was prior to the six-day creation period, one would have to have Scriptural truth to prove such a doctrine.

Thus far, you have failed to produce said Scripture.

• Members

It takes "detective work" with the help of the Holy Spirit to uncover a lot of truth that is in the Scriptures.

How many times have I seen folks just "gloss over" a truth as if it wasn't even there.

Being creatures of habit, many often just "parrot" what they have heard others say.

The Bereans were more nOBle than the Thessalonians because they diligently searched the Scriptures.