• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Family Devotions

Keith

• Members

My Pastor preached a message Sunday night that really hit home for me.  The part that really stood out to me was the last part of Ephesians 6:4, talking about our children: "...bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."  It's not enough to just take them to church...we have to do a lot more, and I've been failing at that.  God really convicted me about making the time to have family devotions.  I really want to start, but I really don't know where to start.  I have kids from 3-8 years old and of course a wife that I need to find something that will fit everyone and everyone can get something out of. 

Just needing some advice on something that is KJV based and a little more structured than just opening the Bible and winging it....

• Members

My Pastor preached a message Sunday night that really hit home for me.  The part that really stood out to me was the last part of Ephesians 6:4, talking about our children: "...bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."  It's not enough to just take them to church...we have to do a lot more, and I've been failing at that.  God really convicted me about making the time to have family devotions.  I really want to start, but I really don't know where to start.  I have kids from 3-8 years old and of course a wife that I need to find something that will fit everyone and everyone can get something out of. 

Just needing some advice on something that is KJV based and a little more structured than just opening the Bible and winging it....

I've kinda been in the same boat with you in a sense; although my kids are 2 and 4mo so not exactly. Right now my wife and just kind of sit and read after we put the boys to bed and then discuss as things come to mind

• Members

When I do it, which is far too infrequent, I prepare a lesson and cover doctrinal issues.  Sometimes the subject will be on topics that are having a direct and immediate impact on the children such as dress and modesty.

Might I suggest a trip to Way of Life's bookstore?  They have some excellent bible study and Sunday School materials that you can adapt for home devotions.  

• Members

We've done studies based upon what our pastor is preaching on. For instance, while preaching through the book of James we would go over the passage he preached from, ask/answer questions and dig into it.

We've "winged it" I suppose too. Someone might have a question that comes up so I would look up all the Bible verses on the matter and we would use that.

A few times we've used a Bible study book or another book.

When the children were little my wife and I would also have time together to go over things that would have been too much for the children at their ages.

We've never found any "plan" or anything like that which we have stuck with but our "winging it" (more-or-less) has worked well for us.

• Members

You can do far worse than reading a section of the Gospels each day with them - when young, keep it to a "story" rather than a chapter.
Otherwise things like "Baptist Bread" is often OK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I read them a few chapters each morning and we have prayer time before our school day starts and even on Saturdays, then we do it again in the evening, before bed with my husband. We discuss things that are read and they are allowed to ask questions, some of which are extremely hard to answer! But it is my favorite times of our day and even though they might not understand it on our level, they are listening. God's Word will not return void, so I know it is all being rooted deep within their little hearts. Maybe I should be more fancy about it but I just figure you can't go wrong with the Bible, however you use it. They are 6, 4, and 11 months. I have learned in my own Sunday School class that family devotion does not have to be church, just consistent. Never skip and if you do, start back, don't stop! So even on sick days, if nothing else gets done, we are going to gather around and do family Bible and prayer time.     

• Members

Not KJV based but the Jesus Storybook Bible(http://www.amazon.com/The-Jesus-Storybook-Bible-Whispers/dp/0310708257/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393327635&sr=8-1&keywords=jesus+storybook+bible) I think it's the best, tells the stories from OT and NT and each story all points to Christ. I think too often that we teach kids In SS and we fail at tying in the Gospel message with it.

Another thing we due when we are eating or just hanging out is when the kids are telling you something that happened to them or something they saw at school or wherever,something they can relate to. Deut 6  talks about teaching kids " along the way", life can give you the best lessons to talk about at dinner or just talking in the car, we don't listen to the radio while were in the car. these are great subject to spring board to what God says about life and moments kids can learn from.

Archived