• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The "wines" Of The Bible - The Blessed & The Cursed

• Members

A search of the Bible (using KJV and the New International Version)

At the site of this link they use the NIV to gather some scripture references that did not exist in the KJV.

This link is just another example of someone who wants to justify drinking alcoholic beverages.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JESUS – The Cup Of Blessing:

Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all. Isaiah 65:8

So, that “new wine” which is "found in the cluster" [isaiah 65:8], is the pure juice and “blood” of the grape, which yields “strength”, even all the strength of Christ Jesus [John 15:5; 2 Corinthians 12:9], treading the winepress alone [isaiah 63:3], to give unto those who were without strength [Romans 5:6]:

Butter of kine, and milk of sheep, with fat of lambs, and rams of the breed of Bashan, and goats, with the fat of kidneys of wheat; and thou didst drink the pure blood of the grape. Deuteronomy 32:14

Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field: for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig tree and the vine do yield their strength. Joel 2:22

And this pure blood of the Grape, is meant for life, joy, rejoicing and gladness [Zechariah 10:7] as can be found at a wedding [John 2:1-11, 4:46] [which we will consider Cana, etc in a bit] or a blessed feast of God [Psalms 104:15; Ecclesiastes 9:7, etc]. They were symbols pointing unto Christ's own pure wedding and feast with His own Bride/people to come, as we shall see. It is also found as the very heart and symbol of the New and Everlasting Covenant [Hebrews 13:10], made in the midst of the True Passover [Matthew 26:17; Mark 14:1,12; Luke 22:1,7; 1 Corinthians 5:6-8]:

Matthew:

And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; Matthew 26:27

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. Matthew 26:28

But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. Matthew 26:29

Mark:

And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it. Mark 14:23

And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many. Mark 14:24

Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God. Mark 14:25

Luke:

And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: Luke 22:17

For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. Luke 22:18

Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. Luke 22:20

Paul:

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 1 Corinthians 11:25

For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. 1 Corinthians 11:26

Notice the words, over and over again, “new” and “blood” [1 John 5:7-8; 1 Peter 1:9; Revelation 1:5] and “fruit of the vine”. This wine of “the cup” was not fermented, but “pure” [1 John 3:3] and unleavened, the very holy “fruit” of the precious “vine” [Christ Jesus; John 15:1,5], even as God showed to Moses for the Passover and feast to follow, that no leaven, no fermentation, was to be in all the quarters at all [see also – Exodus 12:3-20,34,39; 13:3-7; 23:18; 34:18,24-25; Leviticus 2:11; 6:14-17; 10:12; 23:5-6; Numbers 9:11; 28:17; Deuteronomy 16:1-8; 2 Chronicles 8:13; 35:17; Ezra 6:20; Ezekiel 45:21; Acts 12:3; 20:6]:

Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning. Exodus 34:25

No meat offering, which ye shall bring unto the LORD, shall be made with leaven: for ye shall burn no leaven, nor any honey, in any offering of the LORD made by fire. Leviticus 2:11

Thou mayest not sacrifice the passover within any of thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee: Deuteronomy 16:5 [see Hebrews 13:12]

For is it not written, that even a “little leaven” leavens the whole?:

Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? 1 Corinthians 5:6

A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. Galatians 5:9

Therefore:

Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 1 Corinthians 5:7

Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. 1 Corinthians 5:8

For the wicked, are full of 'leaven and sourness', even called the “cruel man” [check it out - http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=H2556&t=KJV ]:

Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man. Psalms 71:4

For us, Christ Jesus is the unleavened bread of life [Exodus 16:15,31,33,35; Numbers 11:6-7,9; Deuteronomy 8:3,16; Joshua 5:12; Psalms 78:24; John 6:33,35,48-49,51,58; Hebrews 9:4; Revelation 2:17, etc] and He is our incorruptible inheritance, even as the manna was uncorrupted upon the 7th Day the Sabbath of the LORD thy God and preserved forever and his blood holy, pure, undefiled, uncorrupted:

ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD. Psalms 119:1 [Christ Jesus is the Way, undefiled]

For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Hebrews 7:26

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27

To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, 1 Peter 1:4 [Christ Jesus, our inheritance, is reserved in Heaven, even as the Manna laid up in the golden pot, before the Throne of God]

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 1 Peter 1:23 [Christ Jesus is the seed]

Do ye not know that to be fermented with that corrupt leaven of the cup of devils, is to be a Pharisee and Sadducee filled with all “excess”, uncleanness and “iniquity”, even an hypocrite, and that “woe” is pronounced upon them, called “serpents” [Proverbs 23:32]?

Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. Matthew 16:6

How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees? Matthew 16:11

Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. Matthew 16:12

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. Matthew 23:25

Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. Matthew 23:26

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. Matthew 23:27

Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. Matthew 23:28

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, Matthew 23:29

And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. Matthew 23:30

Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. Matthew 23:31

Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. Matthew 23:32

Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? Matthew 23:33

And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod. Mark 8:15

In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. Luke 12:1

They which drink alcohol, will be blind even as they, and this no small danger, for the blind will fall into a ditch, and the spiritual ditch is the very Whore of Babylon – Rome, whose wine is intoxicating [in both actually Golden cup and in her doctrine], and they will do the will of Rome, and teach their doctrines and receive of their mark:

Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying? Matthew 15:12

But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up. Matthew 15:13

Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. Matthew 15:14

And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch? Luke 6:39

For a whore is a deep ditch; and a strange woman is a narrow pit. Proverbs 23:27

She also lieth in wait as for a prey, and increaseth the transgressors among men. Proverbs 23:28

Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? Proverbs 23:29 [babbling, Babylon]

They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Proverbs 23:30

Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. Proverbs 23:31

At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Proverbs 23:32

Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. Proverbs 23:33

Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. Proverbs 23:34

They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again. Proverbs 23:35

And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters: Revelation 17:1

With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication. Revelation 17:2

So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. Revelation 17:3

And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: Revelation 17:4

And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. Revelation 17:5

Did you notice that the Great Whore has harlot daughters, that teach as she does, and are like her in doctrines of traditions and practices, in hypocrisy and blasphemies? Beware of the wine which she has in her cup, for that which she giveth, she will receive double from the LORD [Revelation 18:6]:

Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. 1 Corinthians 10:21

Take the Cup of Salvation from the hand of the Lord, and pass from the cup of sin and iniquity from the hand of the other:

I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. Psalms 116:13

For as it is written, is not this cup, the cup which we bless, unfermented, declaring the death of our LORD and Saviour Jesus Christ, He who loved and died for us, because of sin and transgression of His Holy Law, the perfect transcript of His very character:

Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all. Isaiah 65:8

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 1 Corinthians 10:16

And what communion of the righteous blood of Christ hath with the unfruitful works of darkness and sin, as the rebellion of dissipation, confusion and Babylon?:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14

There can be none, and in the New Heaven and the New Earth, wherein Christ Jesus will drink again of the blessed “new” fruit of the vine with us, we shall drink of the peaceable fruit:

Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Hebrews 12:11

And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them. Isaiah 65:21

They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands. Isaiah 65:22

And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. Revelation 21:27

For those which decide to cling to their sins, their drinking alcohol and other things and not turn though probationary time still lingers yet, and the door of God's mercy be not yet shut, if they refuse, they will drink of another cup still beyond the wine of Babylon, for they will even drink of the wine of the Wrath of God, for they will have despised the the gift and death of the Son:

For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup, and the wine is red; it is full of mixture; and he poureth out of the same: but the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall wring them out, and drink them. Psalms 75:8

Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. Isaiah 63:1

Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat? Isaiah 63:2

I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. Isaiah 63:3

For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come. Isaiah 63:4

And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me. Isaiah 63:5

And I will tread down the people in mine anger, and make them drunk in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth. Isaiah 63:3

For thus saith the LORD God of Israel unto me; Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it. Jeremiah 25:15

Then took I the cup at the LORD'S hand, and made all the nations to drink, unto whom the LORD had sent me: Jeremiah 25:17

And it shall be, if they refuse to take the cup at thine hand to drink, then shalt thou say unto them, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Ye shall certainly drink. Jeremiah 25:28

For thus saith the LORD; Behold, they whose judgment was not to drink of the cup have assuredly drunken; and art thou he that shall altogether go unpunished? thou shalt not go unpunished, but thou shalt surely drink of it. Jeremiah 49:12

Babylon hath been a golden cup in the LORD'S hand, that made all the earth drunken: the nations have drunken of her wine; therefore the nations are mad. Jeremiah 51:7

Rejoice and be glad, O daughter of Edom, that dwellest in the land of Uz; the cup also shall pass through unto thee: thou shalt be drunken, and shalt make thyself naked. Lamentations 4:21

Thou hast walked in the way of thy sister; therefore will I give her cup into thine hand. Ezekiel 23:31

Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou shalt drink of thy sister's cup deep and large: thou shalt be laughed to scorn and had in derision; it containeth much. Ezekiel 23:32

Thou shalt be filled with drunkenness and sorrow, with the cup of astonishment and desolation, with the cup of thy sister Samaria. Ezekiel 23:33

Thou art filled with shame for glory: drink thou also, and let thy foreskin be uncovered: the cup of the LORD'S right hand shall be turned unto thee, and shameful spewing shall be on thy glory. Habakkuk 2:16

And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle. Revelation 14:7

The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: Revelation 14:10

And another angel came out from the altar, which had power over fire; and cried with a loud cry to him that had the sharp sickle, saying, Thrust in thy sharp sickle, and gather the clusters of the vine of the earth; for her grapes are fully ripe. Revelation 14:18

And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. Revelation 14:19

And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs. Revelation 14:20

And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath. Revelation 16:19

Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double. Revelation 18:6

And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. Revelation 19:15

O, who would rather not turn from their iniquity of alcohol and instead taste and see that the LORD is Good now while there is still time, still the almighty power of His amazing grace to overcome:

O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. Psalms 34:8

• Members

JESUS – The Cup Of Blessing:

This is not a call to abstinence, this a picture of God preserving His followers, look at the following verses for context;

And I will bring forth a seed out of Jacob,
and out of Judah an inheritor of my mountains:
and mine elect shall inherit it,
and my servants shall dwell there.
10 And Sharon shall be a fold of flocks,
and the valley of Achor a place for the herds to lie down in,
for my people that have sought me.

11 But ye are they that forsake the Lord,
that forget my holy mountain,
that prepare a table for that troop,
and that furnish the drink offering unto that number.
12 Therefore will I number you to the sword,
and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter:
because when I called, ye did not answer;
when I spake, ye did not hear;
but did evil before mine eyes,
and did choose that wherein I delighted not.

Has nothing to do with abstinence 

At the site of this link they use the NIV to gather some scripture references that did not exist in the KJV.

This link is just another example of someone who wants to justify drinking alcoholic beverages.

what are those references?

• Members

I think a LINK (in case we really did want to read it) to the pages he's copying and pasting would be better so we don't have to scroll down for 5 minutes to read others comments.

You will not find such a link to this exact material anywhere, though you may find portions of it where I have previously given some of it, and some portions are recently written, even the very day it was posted.

What would be helpful to you that this subject might be understood?

• Members

This is not a call to abstinence, this a picture of God preserving His followers, look at the following verses for context;

And I will bring forth a seed out of Jacob,
and out of Judah an inheritor of my mountains:
and mine elect shall inherit it,
and my servants shall dwell there.
10 And Sharon shall be a fold of flocks,
and the valley of Achor a place for the herds to lie down in,
for my people that have sought me.

11 But ye are they that forsake the Lord,
that forget my holy mountain,
that prepare a table for that troop,
and that furnish the drink offering unto that number.
12 Therefore will I number you to the sword,
and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter:
because when I called, ye did not answer;
when I spake, ye did not hear;
but did evil before mine eyes,
and did choose that wherein I delighted not.

Has nothing to do with abstinence 

what are those references?

Did not say that Isaiah 65:8 spoke about abstinence.  I quoted it, that it was shown that the Bible speaks of "wine" in two kinds.  Isaiah 65:8 speaks of the pure juice of the grape while it is in the fruit, still on the vine, that even the blessing of God is in it.  This was then linked to the 'Last Supper'.  Please read more slowly, and more carefully, thank you.

• Members

These Scriptures talk about Good Wine, Jeffrey.  It is not alcoholic wine.  It is pure grape juice.  The below verses speak with approval of a wine whose character is good (not alcoholic), and which is commended as a real blessing.

1.  This wine is to be presented at the altar as an offering to God.  

"All the best (fat) of the oil, and all the best of the wine [good wine], and of the wheat, the firstfruits of them which they shall offer unto the LORD, them have I given thee." ~ Numbers 18:12

"And that we should bring forth the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine [good wine] and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house (temple) of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage." ~ Nehemiah 10:37

"For the children of Israel and the children of Levi shall bring the offering of the corn, of the new wine, and the oil unto the chambers, where are the vessels of the sanctuary, and the priests that minister, and the porters, and the singers:  and we will not forsake the house of God." ~ Nehemiah 10:39

"And he had prepared for him a great chamber, where aforetime they laid the meat offerings, the frankincense, and the vessels, and the tithes of the corn, the new wine, and the oil, which was commanded to be given to the Levites, and the singers, and the porters; and the offerings of the priests." ~ Nehemiah 13:5

"And I made treasurers over the treasuries, Shel-e-mi'-ah the priest and Za'-dok the scribe, and of the Levites, Pe-da'-iah:  and next to him was Ha'-nan the son of Zac'-cur, the son of Mat-ta-ni'-ah:  for they were counted faithful and their office was to distribute unto their brethren." ~ Nehemiah 13:13

2.  This wine is classed among the blessings, the comforts, the necessities of life.  See Genesis 27:28; Deuteronomy 7:13; 11;14; Isaiah 65:8; Joel 3:18

***"Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it:  so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all." ~ Isaiah 65:8***

4.  This wine is the emblem of the blood of the atonement, by which we receive forgiveness of sins and eternal blessedness.  See Matthew 26:26-28; I Corinthians 10:16

In all passages where good wine is named, there is no indication of warning, nor imminent danger, and no hint of disapproval.  New wine or good wine is non alcoholic wine. 

• Members

I can't follow this copying and pasting.  The posts are too long and the colors are making me dizzy.  When someone's posts are too long, I just move right along.

People incorrectly assume it is being 'copied and pasted'.  Some portions are already written beforehand [for instance, such as the long list of every known Bible verse], this is true, but the vast majority was not previously written [though as I stated, some I have already written and simply reconfigure for use here along with further material that has since then been studied].  The greater portion was written and put together the very day it was posted.

If you do not like the colorization, I apologize.  Please simply copy the material and paste it into a word doc, resizing, as one wills that they may better be able to read it in their own preferences.

These posts are not really that long compared to the passages and books of Scripture itself.

I would make things shorter, but people seem to avoid my questions, that they may study themselves.

• Members

Banner, with all due respect, your threads and posts are very difficult for me to read.  You say it isn't copied and pasted.  Fine.  However, it doesn't help me much, as I have trouble reading them.  The posts seem to go on and on and don't seem to get to a specific point.  It would be nice if you would wrap up what you are saying in a post for me to better understand.  That is all...

For example, look at my previous post that I directed to Jeffrey.  I wrote out some scriptures but gave some chapter and verses, as I know he can look them up himself.  I did this b/c my post would be too long otherwise.  Jeffrey has a Bible, so he can read and study the scriptures himself.

• Members

Banner, with all due respect, your threads and posts are very difficult for me to read.  You say it isn't copied and pasted.  Fine.  However, it doesn't help me much, as I have trouble reading them.  The posts seem to go on and on and don't seem to get to a specific point.  It would be nice if you would wrap up what you are saying in a post for me to better understand.  That is all...

Do you want me to just tell you that alcoholic "wine" is forbidden, has a curse upon it, causes death, is linked to sin, the serpent, destruction and Babylon, or should I give Scripture that absolutely substantiates that point?

• Members

Do you want me to just tell you that alcoholic "wine" is forbidden, has a curse upon it, causes death, is linked to sin, the serpent, destruction and Babylon, or should I give Scripture that absolutely substantiates that point?

I don't think you need to cover it at all, Banner.  It has already been covered in a couple of recent threads.  As I stated, I was just commenting to Jeffrey.  Those saints that chose to drink alcohol will and those of us who know it is a sin to God, won't.  It is as simple as that.

Archived