• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Obesity Is A Big Problem Here In The Us

The Glory Land

• Members

Asking if it is a sin to be fat is like asking if it is a sin to smoke?  There is nothing in the bible that specifically prohibits smoking, crack cocaine, LSD, or any other things that will destroy your body which is God's temple through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  I don't think it can be argued that obesity is detrimental to your bodies health and therefore, purposely or carelessly not watching your weight can be construed as a sin for you.  I recognize that there are real medical issues affecting some people with unusual metabolism problems, but to often people throw that out as an attempt to justify their carelessness.  I especially laugh at the people who say Ï am big boned".  On May 23, 2013 I weighed in at my physical at 298 lbs and I am only 5'10".  The horror of weighing 300 was finally the last straw for me, and I am now down to 231.2 lbs and still progressing towards my goal of 190 lbs. 

Bro. Garry

• Members

Asking if it is a sin to be fat is like asking if it is a sin to smoke?  There is nothing in the bible that specifically prohibits smoking, crack cocaine, LSD, or any other things that will destroy your body which is God's temple through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  I don't think it can be argued that obesity is detrimental to your bodies health and therefore, purposely or carelessly not watching your weight can be construed as a sin for you.  I recognize that there are real medical issues affecting some people with unusual metabolism problems, but to often people throw that out as an attempt to justify their carelessness.  I especially laugh at the people who say Ï am big boned".  On May 23, 2013 I weighed in at my physical at 298 lbs and I am only 5'10".  The horror of weighing 300 was finally the last straw for me, and I am now down to 231.2 lbs and still progressing towards my goal of 190 lbs. 

Bro. Garry

I am at 230 my self, I need to walk in your steps. Keep it up, feel good, and live longer..  

• Members

I was small boned until the age of 38 when I injured my back.  Then my bones began to grow at a slow pace.  When I quit smoking at the age of 48 and food began to taste better and better my bones began to grow at a faster pace.  Now I would say my bones are a little to large for my height.  :biggrin:

God bless,

Larry

• Moderators

335 pounds, (down from 350). I have an eating disorder...I eat dis order, and dat order, and his order, and her order... :bang:

Seriously...

A lot of that weight I gained in the Navy, though I PT'd every day, ran, lifted, and watched my eating. To this day I generally eat a fairly limited diet.

However, all that being said, my BP runs normally around 125/80, have low cholesterol and normal heart rate. I irritate doctors because they all want to tell me to lose weight, but other than it MIGHT be detrimental to me, my poverall health and fitness levels say otherwise. My mother and one sister have hypothyroidism, as I suspect I do. BUt, at work and on the farm I am quite active.

So, again, my question is, is it s sin to be fat? Above, it was compared to asking, Is it a sin to smoke-yet, at that time, there was no smoking, (except Sodom and Gomorrah), but people, I suspect, were fat at times.

As a ,yes, fat man, I do get aggravated at times over people's assumptions that one who is fat is a glutton. Gluttony involves far more than eating-it is a general wasteful, vain, useless attitude of life. Think Paris Hilton; think Kim Kardashian, think they steriotypical rich guy lighting his cigar with a $100.00 bill. This is gluttony. Can food fall into it? Absolutely, but to make the assumtion that fat=glutton is completely baseless.

Oh, and bro Garry, the only horror I have dealt with at my wieght is finding clothes I can fit, at a decent price!  BY the way, my wife still finds me quite a hunk!

That being said, there are those big folks we know who Do come to the point of gluttony. But in all honesty, in my experience, I have known more thin gluttons, including in the area of eating.

• Members

Whilst many people could do better with their diet and exercise, it is a dangerous thing to look only at a person's weight to determine if they are sinful in that area.

Some people have a metabolism that allows them to eat huge meals and ice cream etc and do very little exercise, but not gain weight.
Some people have genuine health reasons which cause their weight problem.

And some people eat too much and are lazy.

But you can't tell just by looking at them.

I have a friend who has a digestive problem which means he is really skinny, but it has nothing to do with how much he eats and exercises.

A few years ago I was riding 5 days a week 50 miles (80 km) a day, yogurt for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and whilst I looked in good shape, my weight dropped only to 98kg (about 215lbs??? -I think).

The tables tell me that at 5'11" I should be around 75kg, but 2 years of the above didn't get me close.

I now do little exercise (just starting with the bike again) and am only a bit more than that. I KNOW I could do better with my eating, but even when I was it didn't make a difference to my weight.
I LOOKED fit and healthy, but still weighed in.....

• Members

Who told you that I am from P.R...  :frog:

You did and you posted pictures of your lunch once!  

I've always been overweight.  Even during high school when I swam 2 miles a day and years later when diving 6 hours daily, I was overweight though not as much as now.  

• Moderators

Many don't realize that a lot of people who have literally struggled all their lives with being overweight may find a common cause in MSG. MSG, (monosodium glutame) is used by scientists in lab rats for doing obesity studies-they feed it to the baby rats and it causes them to be obese the rest of their lives, so they have steady test subjects.

Yet you'll find that same product in virtually every kind of packaged and canned food on the market! And of course most fast food items have it, as well, so kids are consuming MSG in all kinds of things as they grow, and it effects them for their entire lives. So we run, swim, lift, limit the diet, do all kinds of things, but remain heavy.

• Moderators

Isn't MSG a main ingredient of Chinese food; at least in America?

Yes but its also in virtually all packaged foods, soups, chili, etc. Sometimes its not specifically listed, but if it says "spices', that includes MSG-they have an out for actually saying its there.

Archived