• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

In Defense Of Alcohol, God's Blessing To Man

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You have yet to produce Scripture that says Jesus drank an alcoholic wine.

God doesn't bless man with alcohol.  He curses man who gives alcohol to others.

Luke 7  Jesus was comparing himself to John the Baptist 

Luke 7: 33 AVKJFor John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

• Members

The only place one can extract alcohol from that passage in Luke is from the accusations of the Pharisees.  They accused Jesus of drinking alcohol.  He never said He drank it.  He only said He came eating and drinking.  He did not say what He was eating and drinking.

If you are going to attempt to smear Jesus' character by putting alcohol in His hand, you may as well attempt to have Him eating ham as well.

• Members

We obviously have a different opinion of what God's Word says.

So it is safe to say by this reply that the clear scripture not to drink alcoholic Beverages because it offends, weakens and stumbles your brother in Christ in your opinion does not need to be followed because you don't understand or see that the commandment of Romans 14:21 as a reason not to drink alcoholic beverages?

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Since when is God's word dependent on your or my opinion?

Roms 14:21 is not my opinion it is the commandment of God.

• Members

Even if one believes they have liberty to drink alcohol, there are numerous biblical reasons to willingly abstain for the glory of God.

To Jeffery we are not glorifying God as he does because we are not drinking wine and strong drink.  He is obviously more spiritual than we who are abstaining from alcoholic beverages.

• Members

Let me say something else in this discussion.  Did the Lord Jesus Christ use fermented wine in the Lord's Supper?  First of all good wine and fermented wine are two different things in the Bible, Jeffrey.  Many Christians believe that fermented wine is pure wine and that through fermentation, all the impurities are worked out.  Many Christians will argue that wine is more symbolic of the blood of Jesus.  However, the blood of Jesus was NOT impure.  It contained NO impurities that needed to be worked out.  It was pure, and came from the Lord Jesus Christ's veins.

Good wine is wine in where decay has not taken place.  The fermentation is caused by germs or bacteria.  Changing good wine into fermented wine is the work of bacteria.  Fermented wine would be a picture of tainted blood and NOT the pure blood of Jesus Christ.

Jesus also used unleavened bread for the Lord's Supper.  Leaven causes the working of bacteria or fungus in food and was forbidden.  This bread was a symbol of the broken body of Christ.  So, if bacteria was not in bread, then the Jesus wouldn't use fermented wine caused by germs.

Fermented wine does NOT represent the blood of Jesus Christ.  The drink in the Lord's Supper is a picture of the shed blood of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  

"After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood:  This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." ~ I Corinthians 11:25  

Most Protestant churches are using fermented wine for communion. just as the RCC uses it.  This is an abomination to God. The impurities are in fermented wine.  But the blood of Jesus was NOT impure.  It had NO impurities that needed working out.  It was pure as it is a symbol of Jesus blood that came from His veins.  To change the good wine and make it different than it was when it came from the grape is to imply that Jesus' blood was not sufficient as it was when it came from His veins.

Fermented wine is good wine in which decay has not taken place.  Fermented wine contains alcohol which is a poison and certainly would NOT picture the blood of Jesus Christ.

As I posted earlier, since leaven bread was not used in the Lord's Supper.  Then the Lord did NOT use fermented wine, as well.

Good wine is the fruit of the vine, as is an accurate picture of the blood of the sinless Son of God.  

Also, note that the priests were forbidden to use fermented wines when they entered the holy places in the Old Testament Tabernacle.  

"And the LORD spake unto Aaron saying, 9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die:  it shall be a statute forever throughout your generations:  10  And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean;" ~ Leviticus 10:8-10

These priests, entering the tabernacle of the congregation, were types of Jesus, our High Priest.  If those who were types of the great High Priest were not to use wine or strong drink, it is unthinkable that Jesus would drink fermented wine or strong drink before His crucifixion.  

"Neither shall any priest drink wine, when they enter into the inner court." ~ Ezekiel 44:21

Jesus did NOT drink any fermented wine for the Passover Supper or have given that as a type of His blood.  Jesus Christ knows the scriptures, Jeffrey.  After all, He is God.  He knew the Bible warnings in the scriptures in the Proverbs, which SFIC has already posted for you.

"WINE is a mocker, strong drink is raging:  and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." ~ Proverbs 20:1

"Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself upright.  At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder." ~ Proverbs 23:31-32

The Lord Jesus Christ would NOT have contradicted and disobeyed plain commands of the Old Testament.  He was very careful throughout His sinless life to see that ALL the scriptures were fulfilled.  

"After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith I thirst.  29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar:  and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30  When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished:  and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." ~ John 19:28-30

NO blood bought, born again Christian should ever drink an intoxicating beverage.

• Members

So it is safe to say by this reply that the clear scripture not to drink alcoholic Beverages because it offends, weakens and stumbles your brother in Christ in your opinion does not need to be followed because you don't understand or see that the commandment of Romans 14:21 as a reason not to drink alcoholic beverages?

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Since when is God's word dependent on your or my opinion?

Roms 14:21 is not my opinion it is the commandment of God.

The Romans quote you posted also says it is good not to eat flesh.  Do you eat meat?  If you do, then you should abstain and never, ever eat it again according to that scripture.  Are you going to now become a vegetarian? 

No one is disputing what alcohol can do to people if it is overused and abused.

If you read the whole chapter of Romans 14 we are not to be condescending to each other whether we choose to abstain or not abstain.  We are to make up our own minds on these matters and give an account for our own lives.  I'm not suppose to tear you down for abstaining.  Likewise, I should not be slandered for something I think is good.  The kingdom of God is not about eating or drinking.  We are also told that we can hold on to what we believe but to keep it between ourselves and God. We are to abstain from anything that causes our brothers/sisters to fall from faith.  This is a two-way street.  I'd like some of the people on this forum to abstain from condescending name-calling.

The chapter also talks about people seeing certain days of worship more sacred than others.  We worship on Sunday.  There is an SDA member on this forum who believes worship should be on Sat.  Should we all now start worshipping on Sat. as not to offend him?  I don't know much about the SDA but from what I read on his posts, he has never said anything mean about anyone which is more than I can say for some of the IFB members on this board.

• Members

Let me say something else in this discussion. Did the Lord Jesus Christ use fermented wine in the Lord's Supper? First of all good wine and fermented wine are two different things in the Bible, Jeffrey. Many Christians believe that fermented wine is pure wine and that through fermentation, all the impurities are worked out. Many Christians will argue that wine is more symbolic of the blood of Jesus. However, the blood of Jesus was NOT impure. It contained NO impurities that needed to be worked out. It was pure, and came from the Lord Jesus Christ's veins.
Good wine is wine in where decay has not taken place. The fermentation is caused by germs or bacteria. Changing good wine into fermented wine is the work of bacteria. Fermented wine would be a picture of tainted blood and NOT the pure blood of Jesus Christ.
Jesus also used unleavened bread for the Lord's Supper. Leaven causes the working of bacteria or fungus in food and was forbidden. This bread was a symbol of the broken body of Christ. So, if bacteria was not in bread, then the Jesus wouldn't use fermented wine caused by germs.
Fermented wine does NOT represent the blood of Jesus Christ. The drink in the Lord's Supper is a picture of the shed blood of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
"After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." ~ I Corinthians 11:25
Most Protestant churches are using fermented wine for communion. just as the RCC uses it. This is an abomination to God. The impurities are in fermented wine. But the blood of Jesus was NOT impure. It had NO impurities that needed working out. It was pure as it is a symbol of Jesus blood that came from His veins. To change the good wine and make it different than it was when it came from the grape is to imply that Jesus' blood was not sufficient as it was when it came from His veins.
Fermented wine is good wine in which decay has not taken place. Fermented wine contains alcohol which is a poison and certainly would NOT picture the blood of Jesus Christ.
As I posted earlier, since leaven bread was not used in the Lord's Supper. Then the Lord did NOT use fermented wine, as well.
Good wine is the fruit of the vine, as is an accurate picture of the blood of the sinless Son of God.

Also, note that the priests were forbidden to use fermented wines when they entered the holy places in the Old Testament Tabernacle.
"And the LORD spake unto Aaron saying, 9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute forever throughout your generations: 10 And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean;" ~ Leviticus 10:8-10
These priests, entering the tabernacle of the congregation, were types of Jesus, our High Priest. If those who were types of the great High Priest were not to use wine or strong drink, it is unthinkable that Jesus would drink fermented wine or strong drink before His crucifixion.
"Neither shall any priest drink wine, when they enter into the inner court." ~ Ezekiel 44:21
Jesus did NOT drink any fermented wine for the Passover Supper or have given that as a type of His blood. Jesus Christ knows the scriptures, Jeffrey. After all, He is God. He knew the Bible warnings in the scriptures in the Proverbs, which SFIC has already posted for you.
"WINE is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." ~ Proverbs 20:1
"Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself upright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder." ~ Proverbs 23:31-32
The Lord Jesus Christ would NOT have contradicted and disobeyed plain commands of the Old Testament. He was very careful throughout His sinless life to see that ALL the scriptures were fulfilled.
"After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." ~ John 19:28-30
NO blood bought, born again Christian should ever drink an intoxicating beverage.

CL, UMike challenged my position on the Lords Supper, I am still studying some aspects of that, it is very interesting

• Members

Thanks for letting me know, Jeffrey.  I haven't had time to read over the other thread, yet.  I just noticed that you posted a thread of your own.  That is good, brother.

You're a peach! Thank you, I know I haven't been this popular since,... Never!:D

Archived