• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Looking For Opinions On Viewing Christian Movies At The Theatre

GraceSaved

• Administrators

You know what, it doesn't matter if we agree with churches of which we aren't members having people sign agreements or not.  It's a fact that some do, and it's the business of people who attend whether or not they sign in order to be members.  Yep, there should be personal conviction, or even preference.  But if a person doesn't agree with it, they don't have to join (if that's the requirement) or participate in a ministry (if that's the requirement). *shrugs*  That's pretty much personal choice, right there...

cliff and grace don't agree, hence they aren't members.  That's fine.  Daisy does, hence she can be involved in children's ministry.  It isn't our business to disparage churches that do or don't have an agreement to sign (I'm not saying anyone is...I'm simply trying to nip a possible thread hijack into church disparagement in the bud).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

since I had no problems signing it, it doesn't matter if I break it or not because I won't. I believe in what my church required. Just like any job, you have rules. Working with children should too. If you're not going to be a good example outside of church, I wouldn't want someone teaching my kids either. If I didn't agree I wouldn't have signed.

• Members

But that isn't what the thread is about, and while often threads take little rabbit trails, I could see this one becoming a chasm. :smug:  And so.... :clapping:

Miss Daisy and I are good friends, HC.  I apologized to her in a private message for bringing this up.  We are fine.  I am more concerned about the other threads on OB.  I was actually on edge, when I wrote that post, b/c of visiting a couple of the other threads.   :hide:

• Members

I was just asking what the consequences were since it was brought up.  I never meant to insinuate whether or not I agree or disagree.  I thought it related to the thread of going to the movies since that is one of the issues Miss Daisy stated she had to sign in the agreement. 

• Members

I know our church is against it...I'm not a member mainly because I don't agree with that.

I have not become a member of my church either because they are more concerned about the external appearances and are inconsistent with what that means, although they haven't gone so far as to make anyone sign a contract.  I definitely notice I am an outsider and do not fit in.  

I'm sorry this is off-topic, but my curiosity is piqued. Why continue to go there if you disagree enough not to be a member? And why claim it as "my/our" church if you're not technically a part of it? I'm not implying you shouldn't keep going or that you must become a member. Seriously just idly curious.

• Members

I'm sorry this is off-topic, but my curiosity is piqued. Why continue to go there if you disagree enough not to be a member? And why claim it as "my/our" church if you're not technically a part of it? I'm not implying you shouldn't keep going or that you must become a member. Seriously just idly curious.

I personally am in the process of finding another church.  I have to test them out to see if they are Biblically sound before I commit. Sometimes reading their statement of faith isn't enough.

• Members

I personally am in the process of finding another church.  I have to test them out to see if they are Biblically sound before I commit. Sometimes reading their statement of faith isn't enough.

Gotcha. I can totally understand that.

• Members

HC, if you don't mind, I'd like to respond to TheSword's question. You can remove if you like. I really love my church for the most part. I call it "my church" because I attend there regularly. I stay because the preaching cannot be beat and the music is outstanding. There are only a couple of things I don't agree with, other than that I'm a conservative IFBer and wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe God is still working on my heart with these things.  I NEED conservative preaching. I just don't care for the inconsistencies with the rules or should I say the hypocrisy but we are all sinners so I'm sure this happens in all churches. I really don't think I could find a better IFB church.

Archived