• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Looking For Opinions On Viewing Christian Movies At The Theatre

GraceSaved

• Members

I am familiar with Cooley. Was on my friends list on Facebookfor a period of time.

While I admire his zeal to preach the Gospel at colleges and institutions of education, i frown at his approach. I agree with ThePilgrim on this one. Preach the Word in such a manner that it is the Holy Spirit talking and not the flesh.

Yes, the Spirit does command repentance from sin and dead works. But the message must be delivered in such a way to attract the lost to the truth, rather than repel them.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
 Attempting to change peoples opinions by using physical or verbal violence

Our LORD used both physical and vocal violence against the money changers and the Jewish leaders in the temple. Or do you think he just walked in and spoke weakly to them? Is our LORD coming back with a coffee and some flowers for a nice noonday "Freska" chat with the enemies who love this world or is he coming back to rule it with a rod of iron?

A lot of Baptists need to get off the drugs of "prosperity" and "Sinless salvation" preaching and get back in the war for men's souls. The days of being 100% meek and weak with this world are over. We need more Men on the streets than boys.

• Members

Our LORD used both physical and vocal violence against the money changers and the Jewish leaders in the temple. Or do you think he just walked in and spoke weakly to them? Is our LORD coming back with a coffee and some flowers for a nice noonday "Freska" chat with the enemies who love this world or is he coming back to rule it with a rod of iron?

A lot of Baptists need to get off the drugs of "prosperity" and "Sinless salvation" preaching and get back in the war for men's souls. The days of being 100% meek and weak with this world are over. We need more Men on the streets than boys.

I must ask, is it the job of Christians today to get out the word of God, the gospel, or to rule the world with a rod of iron?  Are we to harangue and brow beat people like a demagogue or are we to present the gospel and let the Holy Spirit be the ultimate pedagogue?  I don't believe God has turned all of His means of instruction and chastisement over to His children.  Religious organizations such as the Roman church may have the idea that He has, but they are mistaken.  There is a dominion theology out there which teaches that the church will change the world but they are in error also.  Only God is going to truely change a man's heart . . . . not you or I. 

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Is there anyone willing to stop being so meek before those who mock and blaspheme our LORD?

Meekness is a good quality that Jesus wants to see in each of us.

I learned only recently Daniel, that it's pointless discussing doctrine or Christ or morality and such with the lost because those things are only spiritually discerned.  We bypass a person's intellect (their brain) by using the law which pierces their heart to ready them to hear the gospel.  Jesus and Paul both used these to good effect I would say!

• Members

It is also a good thing to not force the Holy Spirit.  If you use violence and force with people, they will not want to hear the word of God and will back away from you.  Any further conversation with another Born Again Christian will fall on deaf ears, b/c they will remember the encounter they had with the Christian who used force and violence with them.  

• Members

My husband prefers us to avoid theaters just to have a good testimony but there is no Bible against going to a clean movie.   It's a matter of conscience.

And money.   Good grief, movie theaters are expensive!   LOL.

• Members

My husband prefers us to avoid theaters just to have a good testimony but there is no Bible against going to a clean movie.   It's a matter of conscience.

And money.   Good grief, movie theaters are expensive!   LOL.

Not to mention if you go out to dinner, prior to the movie.  And, let's not forget the huge prices of popcorn, soda, and candy.  A night on the town, like this, is very expensive.  Especially, if you are taking a family of four to six out.  Even so, for my hubby, my son, and myself to see a movie at a theater is quite an expense for us.

• Members

I agree that it is a personal choice. I know our church is against it, in fact in order to be a member I think you have to sign an agreement saying you won't attend movie theaters. See, I'm not a member mainly because I don't agree with that. Especially since I know that our Pastor has gone to pro football games in which everyone is drinking and spilling beer on you and and cussing, fights breaking out in the stands and half naked cheerleaders dancing on the sidelines. But that seems to be ok. Now I will admit I rarely go the movies because 1. most current movies are trash and 2. it's VERY expensive. One thing my local theater has been doing is showing classic movies for a one night only showing. Last year I saw Gone With The Wind on the big screen which I waited my whole life to see. They also showed The African Queen but I had to work so I couldn't see it. I'm thinking about seeing Son of God but kind of hesitant because I don't know how watered down the message will be. I really don't see any difference between someone seeing you entering a theater or going into a rental store to rent a dvd.

• Members

I agree that it is a personal choice. I know our church is against it, in fact in order to be a member I think you have to sign an agreement saying you won't attend movie theaters. See, I'm not a member mainly because I don't agree with that. Especially since I know that our Pastor has gone to pro football games in which everyone is drinking and spilling beer on you and and cussing, fights breaking out in the stands and half naked cheerleaders dancing on the sidelines. But that seems to be ok. Now I will admit I rarely go the movies because 1. most current movies are trash and 2. it's VERY expensive. One thing my local theater has been doing is showing classic movies for a one night only showing. Last year I saw Gone With The Wind on the big screen which I waited my whole life to see. They also showed The African Queen but I had to work so I couldn't see it. I'm thinking about seeing Son of God but kind of hesitant because I don't know how watered down the message will be. I really don't see any difference between someone seeing you entering a theater or going into a rental store to rent a dvd.

I have not become a member of my church either because they are more concerned about the external appearances and are inconsistent with what that means, although they haven't gone so far as to make anyone sign a contract.  I definitely notice I am an outsider and do not fit in.  

• Members

I had to sign a form about no mixed swimming, no theaters, and other stuff but not until I became involved in a children's ministry.

What would happen if you broke the agreement?  Just wondering.  I've never heard of this before.  People having to sign agreements. 

• Members

It's a very inconsistent, and therefore pointless standard to declare all theater attendance is wrong but that it's okay to go out and rent movies (which others see just as much, or more, than one entering a theater) and attending pro sports is fine though, as mentioned above, they are rife with boozers, drunks, foul language, immodest dress, fights and often include worldly entertainment whether in the form of worldly music, more than half naked cheerleaders or other such.

Our church emphasizes the biblical importance of surrendering our lives to Christ and as our hearts are changed so will our outward conduct follow.

• Members

What would happen if you broke the agreement?  Just wondering.  I've never heard of this before.  People having to sign agreements. 

I have never heard of this before either, GS.  It sounds like churches are trying to control the sheep just like the government is trying to control the people.  

Thankfully, my church has none of these "laws" in place.  My husband and I certainly wouldn't be members if my church controlled us through legalistic measures.

Sorry, Miss Daisy, but I don't agree with your church on this for the reason I stated above.  Where is personal conviction with all of this?  Just sayin'...

Archived