• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Looking For Opinions On Viewing Christian Movies At The Theatre

GraceSaved

• Members

During a sermon, my pastor mentioned that as Christians, we shouldn't enter a movie theatre even if we are going to see a Christian movie because then we look like the world and it could hurt our testimony.

There's a few movies I wanted to see like We're Not Alone and another one about Christ. Forgot the name, but it's coming out sometime this month.

I enjoy going to the movies, when there is something worth watching.  Getting popcorn, out of the house away from the distraction of kids, with my friends or spouse.

I was just wondering what other's opinions were about this or is this possibly a personal conviction being opposed on others?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't gone to the movies for years, GS.  There is nothing that I want to see, as these movies are all worldly.  I believe your pastor is correct.  

I have a magazine in front of me, called "FAITH - FRIENDLY FILMS".  It is for Christmas 2013.  I am going to order some movies from this booklet.  My in-laws gave it to me the other day.  They are very reasonably priced, something you don't get at a movie theater.  Below is the website and phone number, if you are interested.

www.Christianbook.com  1-800-CHRISTIAN.

• Administrators

This is more of a personal conviction rather than a Biblical conviction. If one will say that entering a Movie Theater is a "sin" because of appearance, then one can't rent movies or have cable TV.

I have other battles I would rather fight with the devil than that of going to a movie theater. If someone is watching an inappropriate movie, then that's a different story.

• Administrators

Well, it has long been held by fundamentalists that going to the movie theater is a bad testimony. Even back when movies were not as questionable as they are now.

The reasoning for it:

1. Spending money on a movie that might be okay helps fund those which aren't.

2. Someone who sees you and knows you are a Christian (and is a weak Christian) might not think about what movie you are seeing and might be convinced it's okay to see whatever.

3. A lost person might see you and be influenced away from Christ.

I've heard arguments on both sides of the coin: going hurts your testimony; who's gonna see you, etc.

I think it falls under the category of "you need to decide, based on biblical principles, what God would have you do."

Nowadays there isn't much out there that makes it worth going, IMO.  Plus I prefer staying home with my hubby, having a quiet dinner while we watch something (we check out from the library - they actually get movies like Fireproof, Flywheel, etc., or we buy from CBD or other places) in the comfort of our home.  

• Members

I have mentioned this before, but will do so again.

Back last year, I was shocked to see a Facebook by the pianist of our former Church, telling her niece how she and her husband (who is the Song Leader, Sunday School Superintendent, and Adult Class Sunday School Teacher at the Church) went to see the movie "The Heat", telling her that the movie kept them both in stitches throughout.

Looking up the movie, "The Heat" on kids-in-mind.com, I was shocked to see what kind of movie they saw and were promoting... it was rated "R".  It has more than 20 religious profanities in it, and the "F" word is used more than 150 times in the 117 minutes that the movie lasts. 

And the Church's leadership is promoting that trash?

The new pastor there must be very liberal too.  I befriended him for a time on Facebook.  One more than one occasion, he posted pictures with cursing on them... even the "F" word on one.  When I confronted him, he unfriended me.

Want to see a good Christian movie?  Wait until it comes out on DVD.  There is a thread on OB that is called "Christian Based Movies" that has many good suggestion throughout its pages too.  Theaters can make one appear to be enjoying the world.  DVD's can be viewed in the privacy of one's own home.

• Members

Want to see a good Christian movie?  Wait until it comes out on DVD.  There is a thread on OB that is called "Christian Based Movies" that has many good suggestion throughout its pages too.  Theaters can make one appear to be enjoying the world.  DVD's can be viewed in the privacy of one's own home.

YES I agree.  

A verse comes to mind:

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 

• Members

Personal opinion along the lines of what BroMatt said:

I just don't see how going to a movie theater is much different than many other forms of entertainment, or even places of necessity. To the issue of funding ungodly movies by going to a movie theater is kind of a strawman argument. If you buy or rent the movie later you're still funding the same industry anyway. Additionally, I don't see how it is any different than buying a loaf of bread at a grocery store that sells alcohol because you're funding the grocery store that peddles the alcohol. Or perhaps eating at a restaurant that serves alcohol or has a bar section; you would have to limit eating out to pretty much only fast food restaurants, and even many of those serve beer now. Consider also simply playing a round of golf at the local muncipal or even country club course where gambling, alcohol, and foul language are almost an expected part of the game for a lot of people. Is your Christian witness ruined if someone sees you at the golf course?

My only point is, that the venue is less important than the product. That doesn't mean the venue is entirely unimportant, but it does factor in a little common sense. I believe you can still go to a theater (or a grocery store, or a restaurant, or a golf course) and maintain a good Christian witness and Biblical separation. In areas of general public use and utility, what you do there is what is important. That's what it means to be in the world but not of the world.

• Members

Personal opinion along the lines of what BroMatt said:

I just don't see how going to a movie theater is much different than many other forms of entertainment, or even places of necessity. To the issue of funding ungodly movies by going to a movie theater is kind of a strawman argument. If you buy or rent the movie later you're still funding the same industry anyway. Additionally, I don't see how it is any different than buying a loaf of bread at a grocery store that sells alcohol because you're funding the grocery store that peddles the alcohol. Or perhaps eating at a restaurant that serves alcohol or has a bar section; you would have to limit eating out to pretty much only fast food restaurants, and even many of those serve beer now. Consider also simply playing a round of golf at the local muncipal or even country club course where gambling, alcohol, and foul language are almost an expected part of the game for a lot of people. Is your Christian witness ruined if someone sees you at the golf course?

My only point is, that the venue is less important than the product. That doesn't mean the venue is entirely unimportant, but it does factor in a little common sense. I believe you can still go to a theater (or a grocery store, or a restaurant, or a golf course) and maintain a good Christian witness and Biblical separation. In areas of general public use and utility, what you do there is what is important. That's what it means to be in the world but not of the world.

This is exactly what my husband says, Sword.  I am glad that someone put it in writing this way.  I have watched many historical movies b/c I love history, whether or not they are fiction or non-fiction.  My preference is old black and white movies, though.  I was convicted of T.V. and movies just last year.  However, I have been annoyed with the T.V. and movies for a long time.  I don't watch a whole lot of movies where there is swearing or any form of nudity in them.  If there is, I tune out the T.V and movie completely.  I will watch these movies with my hubby, so that we can spend time together, so I would say that I am in violation of what you said above.  He is especially fond of westerns, and his favorite actor is John Wayne.   

• Members

I haven't been in a theatre since 1986 and I don't miss it at all. In a good year maybe two or three Christian or somewhat Christian films might be in the theatre. That's it. Everything else they show is filled with worldliness, most often shows and glorifies sin, and is not something Christians should put in their minds or their children's. We choose not to support such.

We know some Christians who do go and we know each others positions on the matter and we all get along fine.

After a movie has been shown in the theatre they are very quickly available for home viewing if there is something one wants to watch.

One thing I have noticed over the years is many Christian families who used to go to the theatre to see a "good Christian movie" soon began going to see "children's movies" (most often very worldly and presenting unbiblical messages) which then led to them going to see some "good PG movies", then "good PG-13 movies", and many eventually got to the point they would go to "select" R rated movies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hollywood (witches wood) is a filthy factory of God-hating occultists and dirty lucre, stay away from it. Christians should have nothing to do with that filth factory.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=9113205497

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=91131918514

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=62413015312

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=5301300567

Pastor Jason Cooley of Northfield Minn. Christians should have nothing to do with filthy Hollywood. Pray for only one thing, that the whole filthy area of Los Angeles gets blown to hell where it belongs.

• Members

Where is the love you spoke of earlier?

Our call is to show the love of Christ to sinners, share the Gospel with them and make disciples of them. We should be praying for them, not wishing their death, not wishing to see them cast into hell.

We ourselves when without Christ deserved hell just as much as any of these other sinners.

God will enact vengeance, judgment and justice in His own time. Our duty is to share Christ with them.

• Members

Hollywood (witches wood) is a filthy factory of God-hating occultists and dirty lucre, stay away from it. Christians should have nothing to do with that filth factory.

Pastor Jason Cooley of Northfield Minn. Christians should have nothing to do with filthy Hollywood. Pray for only one thing, that the whole filthy area of Los Angeles gets blown to hell where it belongs.

:saywhat:   "Ye have heard that it hath been said, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOR, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that despitefully use you, and persecute you;" ~ Matthew 5:43-44

• Members

I accidently pressed the like button on your post and couldn't figure out how to remove it.  On second thought maybe it was a good thing as the angry and vitriolic manner you express yourself sounds likee me twenty years ago.  However in the ensuing years I have learned to cool down my rhetoric a little and try not to fight everybody and everything but attempt to change them.  Attempting to change peoples opinions by using physical or verbal violence only inhibited there ability to hear me and to respond in the way I would like.  That is I could never change them in a positive direction, only drive them further from the truth I was attempting to deliver to them.   

What you are attempting do is deliver the truth to a lost and dying world.  Deliver it in a fashin that they can hear it and not drive them to cover their ears in self defence.

My only desire in this is to help, not offend.

God bless,

Larry

Archived