• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

For Preppers

Eric Stahl

• Members

Nixtamalization of dent corn and to sprout it for additional nutrition.

Add 1 tablespoon of burnt lime to 2 cups of hot water and stir.

Boil two lbs or 1 quart of dent corn in two quarts of water for twenty minutes and add lime-water.

Let it stand for 24 hours to sprout.

Rinse corn in clean water and rub between hands till hard outer shell of the corn comes off.

This is hominy and it is better to digest and more nutritious.

Grind it in your corona mill to make a wet flower for tortillas.

Or deep fry it till it is brown and floating to make corn nuts. Add desired flavoring to the corn nuts such as sugar and cinnamon or salt, ect…

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What is dent corn?

I see lime used in several different prepping contexts... would like to know where one can actually find the stuff!

OP sans "Burnt lime" which I believe is quicklime.  You may find it in a garden centre, but I am probably wrong on both counts.

• Members

What is dent corn?

I see lime used in several different prepping contexts... would like to know where one can actually find the stuff!

Salyan,

Lime can be bought at a block or brick Company. Many garden supply stores have it also. The Indians used hard wood ashes.

I bought 2000 lbs of field or dent corn at a local feed mill for only $276.00. Grains have about 1500 calories per pound. I have about 12 family members to help. I bought wheat and soybeans and three hand grinding mills. I put the grain in 55 gal garbage bags inside 55 gal barrels with 2 lbs of dry ice. Let the dry ice melt into carbon dioxide gas over two days then seal the bags. This will protect the grain for the rest of my life and my sons and his family. Food insurance now, doesn't cost much.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A good supply of water softener salt could be used for ice removal or making salt pork brine. I have heard that fresh pork placed in a salt water brine strong enough to float an egg will preserve meat for months with out refridgeration. If we get a power outage for months, the meat in our fridges will spoil. Does any one have experience with this?

Archived