• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

DaveW

Sabbath Worship?

1 hour ago, rstrats said:

re:  "Acts 2:1..."

When I said that there were only 2 times mentioned with anyone getting together on the 1 st day of the week I was speaking with regard to weekly gatherings.

????????????????

1.  Was the day of Pentecost on a Sunday, the first day of the week?
2.  Were the believers and disciples of Christ gathered "with one accord in one place" on that day?
3.  Did God the Father and God the Son Themselves hand-pick that day to send forth the baptism and empowerment of the Holy Spirit upon the body of Christ, the church?

On 1/26/2019 at 9:03 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Pastor Scott Markle,
re:  "1.  Was the day of Pentecost on a Sunday, the first day of the week?"

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on when the count starts. 

re:  "2.  Were the believers and disciples of Christ gathered 'with one accord in one place' on that day?"

Acts 2:1 says they were. 

re:  3.  Did God the Father and God the Son Themselves hand-pick that day to send forth the baptism and empowerment of the Holy Spirit upon the body of Christ, the church?" 

Scripture doesn't say.   Acts 2:1-4 only says that on the day of Pentecost they were filled with the Holy Spirit. 

But I don't see what that has to do with my comment in post #24.

Edited by rstrats

Pentecost was always on a Sunday. It was the 50th day after a particular sabbath (after the sabbath of Passover week) - 1 day (which makes it Sunday - the first day of the week) plus seven weeks (49 days).

Paul wrote, on authority from the Holy Spirit, that, especially for gentiles, the observation of Sabbaths, special feast days, etc. as well as the eating or non-eating of certain foods was a matter of individual conscience, and to not criticize one whose own conscience was different.  While I don't believe any man-made, non-Scriptural doctrines of faith/worship, I don't criticize others solely for worshipping on Saturdays. However, in the US, Saturday worship meetings are almost part of a cult, such as SDA. Several of those cults try to follow those parts of the "Mosaic" law that are fairly easy for them to obey, ignoring the rest, and God's statement that if one lives by "the law", one must live by every jot & tittle of it, which, of course, no one can do, & was done only by Jesus. In all that, those cults have made their own little storefront jesus, which is neither actual Lord or Savior, but is a man-made character like Santa Claus or Spider-Man.