• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can Your Kids Have Gay Friends?

The Glory Land

• Members

Excellent point, HC.  I believe this happens to all of us.  I know I experience it.  My unsaved Roman Catholic brother and sister use sarcasm with me.

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad:  for great is your reward in heaven:  for so they persecuted the prophets which were before you." ~ Matthew 5:11-12   

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I also bring it up because I have been one of those who was always on "preach mode."  Someone said to me "I know you're a Christian, you made your point, I get it already."  I learned a lesson.  Sometimes we have to be reminded that it's the Holy Spirit that illuminates the mind, stirs the heart and move the unbeliever to belief.  Sometimes we're trying to do the Holy Spirit's job and not allow the Holy Spirit to do the job through us.

Truth, here, too!

• Members

And yet Jesus was a friend to sinners, was He worldly?

Love the sinner but hate the sin.

Really, God provides those opportunities in the world, but not of the world to witness and He waters as He will.  Discernment will tell us when to wipe the dust off our feet and move on:

Matthew 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

(notice this verse does not say wipe the mud off from wallowing in sin to witness to another- it is wiping dust off the feet) 

• Members

So what does it mean to be gay?  I hear all the time being gay is sinful and wrong.  But what does that mean?  One of my best friends in high school struggled with same-sex attraction.  He never acted on it in high school.  Does that mean he was not gay?  

In college he "came out" and accepted his same sex attraction.  He still did not have sex.  Was he gay then?

Later he committed to live his life with his partner.  They had sexual conduct.  Was he gay only at that point?

These are honest questions.  We often gloss over what it means to be gay.  

• Members

I don't remember the name of the pastor, but a new Christian once asked him about how to deal with having lost friends and the pastor told him not to worry about it. The pastor told the young man if he was living for Christ his lost friends would soon not want to be around him.

When the young man, who had been saved while away in the military, returned to his home and his lost friends showed up he found out just how right that pastor was. His lost friends didn't want to hear about his Saviour and Lord, they didn't want to hear the Gospel, they didn't want to hear about his life with Christ, and since he was no longer willing to do the sinful things they all used to do for fun, his lost friends were soon nowhere to be found.

One who is truly following Christ can't help but shine the light of Christ for others to see. They can't help but talk about their Saviour and Lord, they can't help but want to try and help those around them know Jesus, they can't help but share with them they are about to crash and need to change course.

If one wants to hide their Christianity, if one wants to keep silent about Jesus and doesn't care enough about the lost folks around them to warn them of danger, and if a professing Christian is willing to hang out with the lost and act much like them, then sure, they may have several lost friends.

Those who do this should pay heed to Scripture and make their calling and election sure. Then they should look to Scripture and be reminded that worldly friendliness isn't love; that true love is sharing the Saviour with the lost and warning them of the dreadful fate of being without Christ.

Our words, actions and lives are to be lived in such a way as to example Christ, drawing the lost to salvation and warning them of the danger they are in.

TODAY is the day of salvation. None of us knows when our time will be up. We don't know if ourselves or a lost person we know may die tonight; or if Christ may return before we meet again. Dare we delay in sharing Christ with the lost? Dare we put off warning the lost of what awaits them if they remain lost?

• Members

Mrs. Arbo and I were not blessed with children, but if we were, I believe that the safety (spiritual, emotional, and physical) of our kids would be paramount in importance.  Though it is difficult to avoid them altogether, I'd want to protect them from their influence.

• Members

Then how do you give them the Gospel then? I mean, Jesus was attacked by the Pharisees for hanging out with " sinners"!! Jesus was involved with them to give them the Good News, but yet the Pharisees could show now compassion for the lost, the very same people He would hang on a cross for!!

Jesus didn't "hang out" with sinners.  He supped with them to share the gospel and rebuke them for their sin.

The poor evangelicals have been mislead into believing that they have to be friends with someone before they can witness to them.  Just another one of satan's lies to keep people from preaching the Good News.

• Members

Jesus didn't "hang out" with sinners.  He supped with them to share the gospel and rebuke them for their sin.

The poor evangelicals have been mislead into believing that they have to be friends with someone before they can witness to them.  Just another one of satan's lies to keep people from preaching the Good News.

Good point. Even though the new evangelicals on this board may not like it, This evening after work I will go out on the streets and pass out gospel tracts to strangers and will talk to them about the Lord. Since the new evangelicals won't do that, we as true believers should.

• Members

Good point. Even though the new evangelicals on this board may not like it, This evening after work I will go out on the streets and pass out gospel tracts to strangers and will talk to them about the Lord. Since the new evangelicals won't do that, we as true believers should.

How one chooses or is led to share the gospel is between that person and God.  Because someone doesn't go door to door or hand out tracts doesn't mean they are not sharing or are not "true believers."  This is going to be harsh...but is that how you spoke to your brother?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

No. Implore them to leave their vile life and if they refuse, tell your children to leave them with one final warning..."You are a hell bound walking dead carcass." The wages of sin IS death." Not "will be" death nor "soon to be" death...

The wages of sin "IS DEATH". You're already dead. Spiritually dead. A walking dead corpse waiting for the rotten flesh to expire then you will be a dead soul on their way to hell!

Sodomites repent or sodomites walk dead till they are dead. Christian have nothing to do with the filthy workers of iniquity!

• Members

I have yet to find a homosexual who would like to be my friend!

If we are truly standing against homosexuality as clear as the Word of God does, would it be an issue?

We are to love the sinner but hate the sin. How can you hate the sin and accept it all at the same time? I, personally, wouldn't want to be friends with someone who couldn't accept the way I choose to live. For this very reason, my old "friends" don't accept us because we choose to live a separated life. Just doesn't sit well with most folk? I still love those people but our friendships have changed or barely exist.

But Proverbs 27:17 says "Iron sharpeneth iron: so a man sharpeneth the countanence of his friend." We are to witness to everyone, but at the same time, what you hang out with will affect you, even if you're actually trying to rub off on them. It may be all in good thinking, but it can lead to destruction. I'm not saying you should carry hate signs and shout condemnation, they are condemned already, as were we all. We can be friendly without reducing the Bible by having friends who want us to accept their perverted way of living.

As far as lost family, you can't choose family, but you do choose friends. My lost loved ones will be won (by God's grace) through my conversation (way of living) more than my closeness in our relationships. Do I compromise? Not at all. I can control what comes in my house, in front of my children! I don't have to go to their homes where things that are sin, according to the Lord's Word, take place. This is also why I homeschool our children.

So to answer OP, No. My children are not allowed to hang with anyone who says they are gay. Or anything else that goes against the Bible. Even if it means cutting ties with family. They already know how we feel and why we feel this way, so there isn't much that needs to be cut. They know we love them dearly and we are here when they are ready to repent and turn from their wicked ways. I am not above anyone, 1Corinthians 6:9, 10,11, "but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus" (Glory!) There is a change in me and I cannot tolerate those things I once was. I'll be here though. When they decide their way is not God's way. I talk to my brother a lot, he is a lost man. He was hurt by a church going person and since then he refuses to have anything to do with God. But he and his wife are very special but we aren't as close as my other brother who is saved. When my lost brother asks me something, he knows he is going to get the truth from the Bible but it is done with love and compassion.

Friendship isn't what is missing, it is the compassion for the soul bound in sin and headed for hell.

• Members

Can you show me where He rebuked them?

Archived