• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can Your Kids Have Gay Friends?

The Glory Land

• Members

And door knocking is not the only requirement for evangelism, sometimes it requires you to get involved, personally in someone's life at the cost of your time and energy, because that's loving the lost, it's easier just to knock on someone's door, irritate them because your are invading their personall time, interrupt what they are doing, just to hand them a pamphlet and tell them how wicked they are.

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 

We sow the seed often to those who seem not interested in hearing but God can work in any situation. God's Word never returns void.

Love the sinner but hate their sin either neighbor would be a great opportunity.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I am strange but I find it very difficult to trust a person who I know beyond a doubt is a self admitted or obvious liar, thief, murderer, drunkard, adulterer, or homosexual.  I can be an aquaintance of such a person, but I cannot be a friend.  Trust is required in a friendship.  :umno:

God bless,

Larry

• Members

1 Cor 9

19  For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

20  And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

21  To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

22  To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

23  And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

This passage is about Paul changing his presentation of the Gospel (not the Gospel but his presentation method) according to whom he was speaking     .yes

It actually has nothing to do with going into brothels or pubs as some suggest. He met people in all walks of life, Do you know the story of the woman at the well? that was very scandalous for Jesus to be talking to her at that time

It has far more to do with HOW not where we present the Gospel. Yes

That means that for some people a friendship needs to be established before their heart is prepared for the Gospel.
Another may be saved by a single encounter at their own doorstep. Yes,

Look at Paul presenting the Gospel to those at Mars Hill - he begins by explaining who God is.....

But to Agrippa there is no need of that, for he is familiar with the God of the Hebrews.

Paul's point is that people are different and therefore the sharing of the Gospel needs to suit the person - not the facts, but the method.

I know you all know this from your own experience too - you all know a man who was saved when he walked down the aisle at an invitation, and you know people who were saved as an individual person showed them from God's Word, and some may even know of one who was saved alone by reading a salvation tract.

But the Bible is plain that our 'friends' should be saved people.
we need to be friendly to the lost however, and that may include befriending them. Absolutely!

I think we need two different words for friend maybe?????
:lol:

• Members

I guess I am strange but I find it very difficult to trust a person who I know beyond a doubt is a self admitted or obvious liar, thief, murderer, drunkard, adulterer, or homosexual.  I can be an aquaintance of such a person, but I cannot be a friend.  Trust is required in a friendship.  :umno:

God bless,

Larry

How can one be just an "acquaintance" with close, lost family members?

• Members

There's no way a saved man can be friends with a homosexual. Just go ahead and deceived yourself into thinking that. You can be "nice" and kind and be friendly to them or help them out in a time of need but that's the extent. You start "hanging" with them or trying to bond with them or understand their position you are going to hurt yourself and your kids who are watching you. Why would you anyway? And please don't give me that, "I'm trying to get the gospel to them" when you know that's not true. Hang out with those of a like mindedness. 

Did you ever read my signature? How did the person that shared the Gospel with you, feel about you?

• Members

God bless,

Larry

And I ask the same question to you, how did the person who shared the Gospel with you, feel about you? or were you already a good guy....

Or as somebody once said," I thank you God you didn't make me like that homo over there,..."

• Members

Jeff - some people, as I am sure you are aware, misuse Paul's teaching at this point to justify going into clearly sinful places for the purpose of preaching the Gospel.
The passage I referenced actually has nothing to do with that situation - my point was that it was Paul's method which changed, which I note you agree on.

As to the woman at the well, it is not a direct parallel to that as Jesus did not go to a scandalous place - he was waiting at the well, which was a perfectly acceptable thing to do at any time of the day.
This woman came outside the normal watering time because SHE was scandalous - and in need of salvation.

• Members

Jeff - some people, as I am sure you are aware, misuse Paul's teaching at this point to justify going into clearly sinful places for the purpose of preaching the Gospel.
The passage I referenced actually has nothing to do with that situation - my point was that it was Paul's method which changed, which I note you agree on.

As to the woman at the well, it is not a direct parallel to that as Jesus did not go to a scandalous place - he was waiting at the well, which was a perfectly acceptable thing to do at any time of the day.
This woman came outside the normal watering time because SHE was scandalous - and in need of salvation.

right but the fact that Jesus was talking to a Samaritan woman at that was scandalous! who was married 5 times, living with number 6

• Members

right but the fact that Jesus was talking to a Samaritan woman at that was scandalous! who was married 5 times, living with number 6

God does place great opportunities in our path for witnessing as we are obedient to His will.  Often we do not even have to look for people to witness to as God is always out in front of us preparing the field so we can sow and He can water.

• Members

God does place great opportunities in our path for witnessing as we are obedient to His will.  Often we do not even have to look for people to witness to as God is always out in front of us preparing the field so we can sow and He can water.

Good point, we need to be prayerful to look for those opportunities during our day, they are out there, we need to be looking for them

• Members

Without losing sight of the fact that these people are sinners in need of salvation, I would point out that the Bible does warn against closeness with those in sin.

That is why I suggested we may need two words for "friend".

Your true friends should be men and women of faith in Christ.
Your true friends should not be those who are living in blatant sin (whilst allowing that no man here on earth is perfect).

But Paul's teaching as noted above means that we need to share the Gospel in the most effective way according to the person we are witnessing to.
In some cases this may necessitate forming a (distanced) relationship with them.
This is not the same sort of friendship, but rather, being genuinely friendly towards them for the purpose of reaching them for Christ.
This in no way means you condone or accept sinful lifestyles and activities, and certainly not joining in sinful activities.

If they steadfastly refuse the Gospel, then write it off as a sowing time, and leave it to the Lord to bring another to reap. The (lesser) friendship ends here.

• Members
World English Dictionary
friend  (frɛnd)   n 1. a person known well to another and regarded with liking, affection, and loyalty; an intimate 2. an acquaintance or associate 3. an ally in a fight or cause; supporter 4. a fellow member of a party, society, etc 5. a patron or supporter: a friend of the opera 6. be friends  to be friendly (with) 7. make friends  to become friendly (with)

Just so you know my definition of a friend.   Only #1 above fits my definition of a friend.

All the other definitions could become a friend but their place in a persons life does not make them a friend by my definition.  Just being #2 thru #7 requires no closeness or trust.  A friend is one you can trust with you or anything of yours including your possesions or the members of your family.  I don't know who said it but: "A true friend is hard to find."

If my definition does not fit the world's debinition, so be it.  :mellow:

God bless,

Larry

• Members

World English Dictionary
friend  (frɛnd)   — n 1. a person known well to another and regarded with liking, affection, and loyalty; an intimate 2. an acquaintance or associate 3. an ally in a fight or cause; supporter 4. a fellow member of a party, society, etc 5. a patron or supporter: a friend of the opera 6. be friends  to be friendly (with) 7. make friends  to become friendly (with)

Just so you know my definition of a friend.   Only #1 above fits my definition of a friend.

All the other definitions could become a friend but their place in a persons life does not make them a friend by my definition.  Just being #2 thru #7 requires no closeness or trust.  A friend is one you can trust with you or anything of yours including your possesions or the members of your family.  I don't know who said it but: "A true friend is hard to find."

If my definition does not fit the world's debinition, so be it.  :mellow:

God bless,

Larry

And yet Jesus was a friend to sinners, was He worldly?

Archived