• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Taken Your Children Out Of Christian School Can Be Good

The Glory Land

• Members

Not all Christian schools are actually Christian of course, but even those that are run by Bible believing churches are not immune from corruption amongst the children.

I know of two schools which are run by solid IFB churches in my city, and both of them have had problems with the kids getting up to stuff.
And the expensive "private schools", which here are normally catholic or anglican, are no better in moral situation than the public schools.

I also think homeschooling is best, but I also know some families where the parents are not diligent enough to do it right.

In any case, schools should not have the responsibility to teach your children manners, morals, how to be a part of community, and especially not things relating to belief and faith.

That is absolutely the domain of the parents.

Our oldest son started in a Christian school and finished homeschooled and got into university.
At uni, he went to the "Christian Union" there, which is like a Bible study and fellowship time. He asked us about it first.
Although we had our concerns, he came to us and said "I know what the Bible says".

He has friends at Uni but is not involved in worldly parties and that sort of thing.
He has friends at Christian Union, but talks to us about the devotions they do and while most of it seems fine (some really good even) he points out error when it shows up.

But his strength and stand is not due to homeschooling - it is because we have always tried to be a Biblical family. I don't do a perfect job as a father - far from it - but we try to.

That is family, not schooling.

I think that homeschooling is the best, but the most important thing is not how they are schooled but how they are "familied".

A child can be homeschooled but not taught AND shown Christ AT HOME, and that child will stray; while another child may be outschooled but have a home that is filled with Christ and that child will stand firm for Christ against the corruption of the world.

I am so proud of my son - he is smart, hardworking, considerate, and strong enough to know where he stands with Christ.

He wasn't taught these things by his form of schooling.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

About home schooling.... Well this could be good and bad too. What time are your kids waking up in the morning? After 8am, they will be lazy in the future. Many parents don't qualify to teach, like my self. To much free time at home, no good. Fellowship or always in the room, bad signs of lonelyness. Have a crush on a boy or girl from home? Join in any sports or music bands. The list goes on. :(

• Members

I sent four of my six children to christian school at the cost of  $16,000.00 per. year. and thought I was getting a great deal but after the first year I found that the curriculum was way below state standards meaning my children would have a harder time getting into college.the school also introduced the teen bible as means for them to abide in as a young christian, and after reviewing this bible I removed my children from the school and sent them back to public school. my wife and I have raised all six of our children in the Lord and each one of them have been saved and that made a big difference in their lives in public schools because most all of their friends where lost but by Bringing forth Good Fruit many of these lost children came with them to church , for some of them it was the first time they had ever been to church and many of them got saved...I have four granddaughters and the oldest has just started the first grade in public school and she takes one thing with her whom she already knows and loves and that's Jesus and just as He lead her mom He will lead her in all the right ways. I have nothing against home school  " But will all states follow California to make it illegal  "  

• Members

That is a problem with that particular school administration, not the children.  Kids who have grown up in a terrible environment will make terrible choices.  There are ways to handle kids who make poor decisions.

But children are never filth.  They can make poor choices, but they are never to be considered filth.

The Bible says:  (For Israel) Their perceived righteousness was like unclean rags.  We can apply this today.

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. 

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 

Children and adults do have the sin nature and sin as they make choices.  The Bible does not  ever say mistakes with excuses.

And public schools are public and worldly.  I and our kids went through public school but if I had it to do all over I would have done differently for our kids.  My opinion is homeschooling is best.

• Members

As my Dad pointed out, (DaveW is my dad, in case you didn't know) I was homeschooled.

However I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter so much where you school as long as you have a good foundation in God. You can go to a good Christian School and not get that foundation. It's up to the parents to ensure that their children get training in the ways of God. Their children can then use that training at a Christian or public school, or in their homeschooling and activities they do in public.

I personally am not against children being in the public school system. If they are supported and trained properly, they might even be a positive witness there. It will be hard, and temptations will be there, but that may strengthen them.

I'm not saying it's an easy situation, and every parent should definately seek the Lord's leading in this. The thing is homeschooling isn't for everyone. Not everyone can afford private Christian schooling. But every parent should make sure they give their children a solid foundation in God and His Word. Then, later in life, whether in a public school or in college/University/the workplace they can stand in their faith.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter so much what type of schooling a child does, as long as they are getting spiritual support and training from their parents.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

• Members

For many Christians parents they are dealing with the education and upbringing of their children as does the world, not as God directs. Rather than desiring their children be born again in Christ, learn to follow and obey the Lord, living their lives for His glory and honour, they want the same things the lost world wants for their children, the pursuit of worldly gain.

Listen to most Christian parents and they sound just like unsaved parents. They want their children to be accepted by the worldly, they don't want their children to miss out on all the worldly things going on in the public schools, they are willing to sacrifice almost anything so their children can play sports in school, their goal for their children is to get them into a worldly college where they can learn how to get a worldly job/career which pays lots of money so they can lay up lots of treasures here on earth.

I've know of a couple such cases and have read of many more where a Christian parents child will get saved and then at some point their child hears the Lord's calling for them and when they share it with their parents their parents discourage them. The parents put much pressure on them to ignore God, follow the worldly path of "success" and then sometime later after they get their worldly college degree and have their successful worldly career, maybe then they can talk about doing what God wants.

If it's important for adult Christians to maintain separation from the wicked influences of the world, how much more important to separate children from such? When the military gets new recruits they don't just drop them behind enemy lines and tell them to do their best. Recruits go through basic training first, and then most go through much more training afterwards. Does it really make sense to drop unprepared children into the enemy camp and then allow that enemy to teach, instruct, mold and conform them?

Visiting public schools (in America) is like taking a tour of a sin museum. Evolution is all over the place, ungodly philosophies are taught as truth, God and Christianity are either totally ignored or belittled, false religions are built up, teen sex is spoken of as something that "everyone does" so they hand out condoms, offer "helpful" information on abortions, immodesty abounds throughout the school, even among the teachers and staff, students kissing and sometimes groping, sinful music blaring all about promoting the wonders and joys of drunkenness, drugs, sinful sex, foul language of the worst sort is heard all about, talk of the latest sinful TV shows and movies is all about, with some being shown in classes, Bible reading isn't permitted but studies on Islam and paganism are to be found, students are taught the biblical account of creation is a myth, most or all of the Bible is myth, that death is simply the end of life, there is no absolute truth, God is an invention of man to manipulate people or provide a crutch for the weak, materialism is promoted as a noble goal, and on and on.

Then if one looks at the textbooks they are filled with ungodly "political correctness", distortions and outright lies.

So, while Christian parents pursue the "good life" here on earth, unwilling to make sacrifices in order to give themselves fully to God and raise their children in accord with the Word, they sacrifice their children to the world so they can gain the world.

Our own selfishness and failure to raise our children for the Lord is why so many children from Christian families are lost to the world.

• Members

For all you who are opposed to government run schools....

Moses was raised in a government run school.  A worldly school that taught about Egyptian gods, and other things, as well as a very good education in science, math, language, etc.  God placed Moses there.

Daniel was educated in the Babylonian schools.  God placed him there.  He took the good parts of the education, but only did not go along when it violated his faith in God.

God places many good families in public schools today.  God can use us in the midst of other beliefs and lifestyles we may not agree with.  

• Members

As my Dad pointed out, (DaveW is my dad, in case you didn't know) I was homeschooled.

However I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter so much where you school as long as you have a good foundation in God. You can go to a good Christian School and not get that foundation. It's up to the parents to ensure that their children get training in the ways of God. Their children can then use that training at a Christian or public school, or in their homeschooling and activities they do in public.

I personally am not against children being in the public school system. If they are supported and trained properly, they might even be a positive witness there. It will be hard, and temptations will be there, but that may strengthen them.

I'm not saying it's an easy situation, and every parent should definately seek the Lord's leading in this. The thing is homeschooling isn't for everyone. Not everyone can afford private Christian schooling. But every parent should make sure they give their children a solid foundation in God and His Word. Then, later in life, whether in a public school or in college/University/the workplace they can stand in their faith.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter so much what type of schooling a child does, as long as they are getting spiritual support and training from their parents.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Thanks, while home schooling for you went well, can you share somethings that you mist having or doing as a kid? This can help others.

• Moderators

Many parents don't qualify to teach, like my self.

By whose qualifications? Mom never finished high school (left early for nursing school)- but she taught us just fine. That's what books are for. :wink She ended up learning a lot while teaching us, too.

To much free time at home, no good.

No such thing. Kids always make use of free time, and when that time is directed to good hard play, help around the house and exploration of one's environment, that free time becomes an extension of the learning process. Whoever decided that children should be scheduled 24 hours a day anyways?

• Members

I was an inner city public school teacher for 16 years.  I taught in the RCC for two years prior to that.  The Cleveland Municipal School District hired me, based on my training and experience in the parochial school - and where I graduated from college - before I sat down for the interview.  The problem with public school is that it is government controlled.  I was, however, able to take some kids to my IFB church after they were in middle and high school.  My former students kept in touch with me for sometime.  They wanted to go, based on me showing how a Christian should live, while I taught 5th grade.  I didn't have to say a word.  Also, b/c of that, the Lord opened doors for me to witness to children, without saying a thing to them.  They brought up God in their writing assignments.  We said the Pledge of Allegiance every day and said, "God bless America."

My son is 23 years old.  I taught in the CMSD when I got off maternity leave.  My ex husband was starting another business and I had to work to feed the family and pay the bills.  My son went to Montessori School from Pre-K through 3rd grade for the "sponge years" as they call it.  We took him out of Montessori School b/c the tuition was extremely high.  I payed for day care and my ex husband payed for private education.  He attended public school from 4th grade through 12th grade in a very affluent suburb, which is the best in the state of OH.  Although, after 9th grade his dad started a business in NC.  My son wanted to move with his dad, and after much prayer, I agreed as I thought he would resent me if I didn't let him go.  His dad is not remarried, and my son did not want him to go alone.  He was miserable in NC.  My ex husband's attorney ordered my ex to send him back to me, otherwise he would give me full custody.  He came home, and my ex came back 6 months later.  However, due to his dad being unsaved, he stopped going to church. 

By the time my son was in middle school, my ex husband became wealthy off the businesses he had been starting and selling.  My hubby and I couldn't afford to send our son to college.  He went to Ohio State University for three years and was miserable.  He wanted to go to OSU since he was 4.  He was sadly disappointed.  He was home just about every weekend, as he was homesick.  He is finishing up college at Cleveland State University with a graduate degree in Marketing.  He lost credits when he transferred from OSU to CSU.  He commutes and will finish this summer.  If my hubby and I would have had the money, we would have sent him to Christian college.  He can't wait to get out of college, as it is very worldly.  He has never had a girlfriend, didn't attend Prom in high school, never joined a Fraternity, etc.  He just wants to get out of college, start working, and get to married to an IFB girl.  He also wants to be the breadwinner in the family.

Each parent has to make their own decision based on many things.  As long as you provide your child with a strong Christian home, I don't see the problem.    

• Moderators

Thanks, while home schooling for you went well, can you share somethings that you mist having or doing as a kid? This can help others.

I'm not Zed, but can I answer too? :wink

Why the negative approach? Anything I missed having or doing as a kid was stuff that we couldn't afford and that school wouldn't have provided anyways (like trips to the mountains, etc.). I loved the extra time that we got as homeschoolers (couldn't imagine being stuck in a classroom for 7 hours to do what I could get finished in 3), and the freedom to go to historical sites during school hours (as opposed to on weekends when they are overrun with visitors - didn't appreciate that one until I started working!). I liked being able to plan sleepovers with my friends, then stay up late and get our school done so we could play all the next day! Any particular lessons I wanted (art, music, skiing, swimming, what have you) were available through the local outreach school program, or organized by the homeschool group. I enjoyed teaching myself high school history, assigning my own projects and being able to present my worldview without censoring it for a dissenting teacher. I certainly didn't miss the social pressure and bullying of the schools.

• Members

I don't think I missed out on anything in particular. Education-wise I made it into University, so I'm not lacking there.

The only thing is the extra possible witness that I may have been, but I have that at work (I work at a fast food restaurant over here).

Archived