• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Taken Your Children Out Of Christian School Can Be Good

The Glory Land

• Members

Yes, there is the price factor for Christian schools and also the problem of finding a truly good Christian school; and in more rural areas, even finding a Christian school in the area.

A local church started a Christian school, at first for their own congregation but then opened to others. At first there was much excitement and many in the church enrolled their children in their church school. The church did a great job of hiring godly teachers and getting good Christian material for the classrooms.

This worked well into their second year and then it seems worldly desires began moving through many of the parents as they began lamenting the lack of sports programs. What began as a means of protecting the children from the wickedness all about and providing them with a solid Christian education and upbringing devolved into fights over sports. Most parents took their children out and put them in public school so they could get their children into sports. With only a very small handful of students remaining the church school was forced to shut down and the great fight over sports ripped the church apart and the church closed its doors.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. Unfortunately it's not an isolated problem, it seems to permeate churches.

For some reason it's come to be viewed as depriving children if they are not involved in school sports. While the reasons are always claimed to be "for the children", often the parents desire to have their children be little sports stars is a driving factor. Some also use the argument that their children must participate in sports so they can try and get a sports scholarship to some worldly college.

If all of this means sacrificing church attendance, if it means sacrificing a Christian education and/or upbringing, if it means their children learning the ways of the world, many Christian parents  say "so be it".

When we had local schools there was never a chance of school activities being held at a time that would interfere with or compete with church. Ever since the schools have consolidated this has changed. First they began to schedule things on Wednesday nights. Basically not a peep from Christian parents against this. Now they also hold a few things on Sundays, including a sports banquet where awards are passed out.

Our pastor attempted to fight this when it first came about. He attended a school board meeting on the topic but was unable to get even a single other area pastor to also attend. He wrote letters to the editor of the local papers. He tried to rally Christian parents. All to no avail. Sports seems to trump everything and even most pastors are unwilling to speak against this.

To make the matter even more shameful, most of those in the school sports programs are professing Christians so even if half or even a fourth took a stand against events being scheduled during church time the schools would have complied for the sake of wanting winning teams. Yet no fight, not even a whimper of protest from Christian parents.

• Members

No, they are getting confused and not the same education as children in a proper Christian school.  First, they are being taught evolution all day long, it's interwoven into the curriculum of all subjects.  Second, they are not being taught critical thinking, but to be liberal activist drones.  The sodomite agenda and all manner of other unGodly things are being drummed into them all day long.  Then you spend hours trying to undo or add to what they learned in school each day?  It's just ridiculous.

My churches academy for example, weaves God and Christians into every subject, not secular humanism.  Science is not taught from the make believe world of the evolution believing humanists, but through God and the Scriptures.

Using Egyptian bibles, attending a rock-n-roll synagogue of satan, sending your kids to Godless government schools, voting Democrat, supporting the murder of the unborn and all other liberal political and social causes is a sure fire way to separate yourself from the God of the Bible.

kindofblue1977, on 07 Feb 2014 - 3:10 PM, said:

I believe in my heart that we are doing just what God wants us to be doing in this phase of life.

Here's the underlying problem again KOB, you're trusting in your heart and not in God's Word.  What sayeth the Lord about our hearts again???

Our minds are so far apart I have a very difficult time understanding where you are coming from.  

Egyptian Bibles?  Never heard of them.

Rock n roll synagogue of Satan?  That doesn't ever remotely describe my church.  Far from it.  

I don't know where you get that I support abortion.  I have never done so, so you must be thinking of someone else.  

I've voted Democrat from time to time.  As I have voted Republican from time to time.  But really, I've sworn off politics.  It is outside of my area of influence so I no longer take sides and get worked up over it.  All it is good for is making people angry and stirring them up.  

Yes I send my children to public schools.  I have no other option..  Private schools in my area run around $12-$15,000 per child just for tuition.  That doesn't include books, uniforms, etc. Your judgmental attitude towards people is completely uncalled for and useless.  Fortunately, I am secure in my decisions and could care less what you think.  But talking that way to someone who is insecure could really harm them, and quite honestly push them away from Christ.  

I've heard in this thread that children in public schools are "filth."  Calling someone's children "filth" is a great way to show the love of Christ to people.  Telling someone who is doing their best to raise their children, and sending them to public schools is "godless," is not only an ignorant statement, but potentially hurtful.  Making assumptions about people when you have never stepped foot in their church, never stepped foot in the school their children attend is completely off base.  

God uses people where they are. God gives us all different stations in life.  It is our duty to be faithful to him in that station.  Daniel found himself in a Babylonian school.  He learned what they taught and grew to be a great leader.  He was faithful to God where the school he attended caused him to violate what God told him.  Joseph was a servant in an Egyptian house.  He was faithful to God, where he was and in his station in life.  God blessed him for his faithfulness. I could go on and on with examples.  

God gives us all different stations in life.  Like Joseph, sometimes those stations move and change.  When our station changes, we remain faithful.  some of us are low income.  Some are high income and wealthy. Others are middle class.  Some do what is right for their children by homeschooling.  Other families that is not an option so public school is the only option. Some are wealthy enough to afford private school.  Some are doctors.  Others are plumbers.  Others are garbage collectors.  

None of that matters.  What matters is that we grow in the love of God, and show God's love to those around us. We are to love all people.  Without some good Christian families in public schools, there would be no one being salt and light there..  As salt is scattered to season food, God scatters his followers in different stations to spread is love to all mankind.  

I judge no one for what they do or don't do.  That is between them and God.  God does not call us to judge.  He calls us to spread the love of Christ here on earth.  That is it.  God calls me to use my sphere of influence to spread love, joy, peace and the other fruits of the spirit to to them.  

So having said, that, it appears we are miles and miles apart.  You go your way, and I'll go mine.  We will each follow God as he leads  and directs us.  But I must say, you should not judge people for how they choose to educate their children.  You never know their financial or family situation, and making assumptions can lead to hurtful words that may make some people resent what they believe Christians represent.

• Moderators

But I must say, you should not judge people for how they choose to educate their children.  You never know their financial or family situation, and making assumptions can lead to hurtful words that may make some people resent what they believe Christians represent.

:goodpost:

• Members

Yes, there is the price factor for Christian schools and also the problem of finding a truly good Christian school; and in more rural areas, even finding a Christian school in the area.

A local church started a Christian school, at first for their own congregation but then opened to others. At first there was much excitement and many in the church enrolled their children in their church school. The church did a great job of hiring godly teachers and getting good Christian material for the classrooms.

This worked well into their second year and then it seems worldly desires began moving through many of the parents as they began lamenting the lack of sports programs. What began as a means of protecting the children from the wickedness all about and providing them with a solid Christian education and upbringing devolved into fights over sports. Most parents took their children out and put them in public school so they could get their children into sports. With only a very small handful of students remaining the church school was forced to shut down and the great fight over sports ripped the church apart and the church closed its doors.

Christian school cost more and the teachers earn less...  :th_wellduh:  I'm mm quitting,    :boxing:      :coffee2:

• Members

I live in a very rural, conservative area and the public schools here are filled with the same anti-God, pro-sin garbage as everywhere else across the country.

Yep, Satan and his minions are just about everywhere now.

It depends on your area, I think.  Here, the only public schools even remotely "good" are the ones in rich school districts.  

There are none good, no not one.  It's the curriculum and the association with lost people (teachers and students) who live for the things of this world and not the Lord too.  They do not live separated lives, they indulge in worldliness.

Hm.  Okay...good to know....

I sure wish Christian education wasn't so expensive.  Ugh.

We pay less than $6000 a year to send three kids.  A Beka curriculum.  It's still tough for us and we do without a lot of things.

Yes I send my children to public schools.  I have no other option..  

God does not call us to judge.  

Point One, you sure do.  If you take such to the Lord (surrender), He will either prompt you to move or provide a way to pay for it.  God will not prompt parents to send their kids to wicked government schools, it's contrary to the Scriptures.  

The Lord clearly tells us to judge according to His Word.  How else are we to protect ourselves from false teachers and errors if we do not judge and reprove, rebuke and exhort with all long suffering? 

Ohh, what bible do you use now?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

If we were more rural or in a more conservative area...then maybe I'd consider it.  

We are in a very conservative area and I know many good Christians who are teaching in the public schools in our region.  About 10 years ago, I met a wonderful home school mother who gave me a new perspective about public schools.  She was and still is a Sociology teacher in a secular university.  She also teaches foster care classes for certification in foster care programs.  Her own young children attended the nice elementary school where her mother retired from as a teacher.  After working closely with the foster care program, she pulled her own children out of the public system and rearranged her teaching schedule to work evenings so she could homeschool her kids during the day.  She was very passionate about the reason: the children with whom she worked were so horribly abusive (usually because of what they had endured) that she did not want her children exposed to the possibility of their abuse.  She said good Christian teachers and supportive administrators are not capable of protecting the children in their schools.  This is in a smaller community.  

• Moderators

We are in a very conservative area and I know many good Christians who are teaching in the public schools in our region.  About 10 years ago, I met a wonderful home school mother who gave me a new perspective about public schools.  She was and still is a Sociology teacher in a secular university.  She also teaches foster care classes for certification in foster care programs.  Her own young children attended the nice elementary school where her mother retired from as a teacher.  After working closely with the foster care program, she pulled her own children out of the public system and rearranged her teaching schedule to work evenings so she could homeschool her kids during the day.  She was very passionate about the reason: the children with whom she worked were so horribly abusive (usually because of what they had endured) that she did not want her children exposed to the possibility of their abuse.  She said good Christian teachers and supportive administrators are not capable of protecting the children in their schools.  This is in a smaller community.  

Yikes! Poor kids - to be so messed up so early. :-(

• Members

That is a prOBlem with that particular school administration, not the children. Kids who have grown up in a terrible environment will make terrible choices. There are ways to handle kids who make poor decisions.

But children are never filth. They can make poor choices, but they are never to be considered filth.

And just so you know, that kind of behavior occurs in private schools as well. I grew up in a private, very conservative Baptist school. There were kids who had sex. Kids who did drugs. Kids who were gay. The difference is they kept it quiet and their parents were ignorant to their behavior, and then were shocked if it were discovered.
So if you think private school kids are different than public school kids, you are sorely mistaken. They are all children. All loved by God. All able to make good choices and bad choices. Some came from strong families, and will have a greater chance of long term success. Others came from broken homes with unloving parents, and will make more bad choices, and will have life long prOBlems.

Public v. private school has little to do with long term success or failure. Mom and dad being involved has everything to do with the odds of a child's outlook on life.

Pro 20:11
11 Even a child is known by his doings,
whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.

Children Rape
Children sell drugs
Children murder
Children hate
Children Sodomize
Child criminals do everything adult criminals do. Nothing changes the day they turn 18 except their culpability.

Anishinaabe

• Members

What an interesting range of opinions I have just read.

Full disclosure:  My experience includes attending Christian schools and public schools of variant sizes and quality.  My undergraduate and graduate degrees are in education and Christian education respectively.  My "career", if you will, has been as a teacher and administrator of Christian schools with a stint as a home school mom mixed in between.  

I believe God leads parents to train up children in the way they should go.  I believe that the authority of the home is extended to whatever learning institution they select be it private, secular, Christian, government or home.  As such, it is imperative that the parents have an awareness and astuteness and an openness to the Spirit of God's leadership in their lives to select the right setting for their particular student and to continue to monitor the appropriateness of the setting in the areas of academics, spiritual growth and influence as well as the social influences.

For those selecting public schooling, you have the challenge to watch not just the content of the materials taught by your child's school, but also the methodology and reasoning behind the methodology.  (For example, the ability of students to determine their own correct answer through reasoning.  Common core is a big factor in promoting this line of methodology.)  Additionally, the social issues and the acceptance of every behavior as equally prudent has overlying and underlying influence on your child.  Add to that the friends who may not hold your values who are exposing your children to music, language, programming and internet/social media that you may not want in your child's heart and mind.

For those selecting Christian schooling, you have the challenge of watching the exact same things.  However, your selection of Christian schooling will make some aspects of that watch a bit easier.  You should have teachers and administrators who share your goals if you have selected well.  You should have materials that teach academics within the light of God's Word and His perspective and methodology that recognizes truth as an absolute.  You will still have to watch the friends and social issues and exposure to the world because Christian schools are not a guarantee that every student is a Christian.  It is the program that is designed to put forth Christian values and world views and perspective.  The teachers, by and large, will love and pray for your children and be committed to supporting the home.  (Yes, there are exceptions to this.  Teachers are sinners saved by grace, or still in sin no matter where they are teaching.  Believers can be backslidden in the the heart and seem fine on the exterior.  However, most Christian schools do screen for this carefully, and most teachers come to the Christian school at a much lower pay scale with less benefits for the ability to influence kids for the Lord and His work.)

For those choosing to home school you have the challenge of watching the same things.  You bring your children to church and those very same influences can rest in the hearts and minds of children who attend.  And, shockingly, the appetite for the world can reside even within the hearts and desires of your own children without your knowledge.

I don't want to get in the "you make us feel less spiritual when you say your school choice is better than mine" and "private school is for rich kids" aspect of the discussion.  You have your views.  I have mine.  Each of us are influenced by our own experiences and OBservations.

No one perfect curriculum exists for everyone.  No one perfect setting is for everyone--not even home school.  Pray for guidance, get the facts (not anecdotes), and watch your kids.  No one will do that like you can as you lean on the Lord.

• Members

I attended a public school my last two years. I found myself debating the teachers. Unfortunately, since manhood was becoming scarce in the late 80's , I was lured into Street Fighting and fornication.
I didn't realize that Christ in me, was what made me so magnetizing to those poor lost kids.

I led several to the Lord, and we still keep in contact, but one of them told me: "If you are telling me that I'll be like you, if I trust Christ, then I don't want to. I've seen you sin. Yes, you are different, and yes the Words in the Bible make sense, and I believe that what you are saying isn't a lie, but what good did it do you?"

Needless to say, I was ashamed, and determined to be unspotted from the World after that.

Would to God I had never met the man, then that his blood be on my hands.

There is a danger, if your child is not prepared, in sending them as lambs among wolves.

Anishinaabe

• Members

There is a danger, if your child is not prepared, in sending them as lambs among wolves.

Their emotions and brains far from being mature, finished to adulthood; our little ones should not be thrown to the wolves in secular schools.    

Archived