• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Taken Your Children Out Of Christian School Can Be Good

The Glory Land

• Members

I always enjoy reading the educational experiences of others and find it to be quite diverse.  My husband and I were reared in different parts of the country; he is from a rural area and I am from a large city.  We are products of public education, although I went to a Christian college.  He graduated from a federal academy, then went to a state university and a private medical university.  But, we chose home education at a time when it was not common (1980) because we wanted more for our children than what the public systems were offering.  A military career kept us on the move and home schooling was a perfect choice for us.  We continued for 20 years and have also been very satisfied with the Christian school located in the area where we settled.  

An observation from 17 years as a junior church teacher of varied home school, Christian school and public school children: it is the parent's influence and involvement in the lives of their children which has the greatest impact.  A lazy parent seems to get about the same results whether they home school or the child gets himself to the school bus.  Attentive parents will usually produce a well-educated child at home or in a local school.  I can add that a mix of attentive parents and dedicated teachers can result in an awesome Christian school experience. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always enjoy reading the educational experiences of others and find it to be quite diverse. My husband and I were reared in different parts of the country; he is from a rural area and I am from a large city. We are products of public education, although I went to a Christian college. He graduated from a federal academy, then went to a state university and a private medical university. But, we chose home education at a time when it was not common (1980) because we wanted more for our children than what the public systems were offering. A military career kept us on the move and home schooling was a perfect choice for us. We continued for 20 years and have also been very satisfied with the Christian school located in the area where we settled.

An observation from 17 years as a junior church teacher of varied home school, Christian school and public school children: it is the parent's influence and involvement in the lives of their children which has the greatest impact. A lazy parent seems to get about the same results whether they home school or the child gets himself to the school bus. Attentive parents will usually produce a well-educated child at home or in a local school. I can add that a mix of attentive parents and dedicated teachers can result in an awesome Christian school experience.

I have said similar sentiments and been taken to task over it, but I agree wholeheartedly.

• Members

Around 10th grade, putting them in public schools can prepare them better for college. How to deal with the real World, people that are normal and wierd. How to practice all what they have learned to now. They will get a little dirty, but this will do them well.Remember when you got a little dirty, but your doing just fine now. Don't make them weak to the pray.

That's very foolish and contrary to God's Word.  Such is akin to throwing raw recruits onto the front lines of battle.  They'll get chewed up and scarred for life, if they survive.  God's plan is better.

• Members

I know I'm coming into this thread rather late, but wanted to add a thought that should be able to guide just about everyone in such a decision:

Can you undo/correct in the 4ish hours in the evening with your children what your schooling method does to them during the 8ish hours at school? I'm not talking about math and reading skills, I'm talking about life influences they get from friends, other classmates, and even some of the curriculum. God is distinctly absent from public schools and most private schools that are not attached to a church. Therefore, whether you send your kids to public or private school or homeschool them, you have to ensure first and foremost you are able to keep them spiritually grounded. It doesn't matter if how well your child is educated if they soak up so much of the world that they walk away frrom Christ. After you've answered that question, only then should quality of education be important. Certainly, financial and living situations can dictate what options you have, but this question should be applied to all available options.

Matthew:33-34

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

• Members

For all you who are opposed to government run schools....

Moses was raised in a government run school.  A worldly school that taught about Egyptian gods, and other things, as well as a very good education in science, math, language, etc.  God placed Moses there.

Daniel was educated in the Babylonian schools.  God placed him there.  He took the good parts of the education, but only did not go along when it violated his faith in God.

God places many good families in public schools today.  God can use us in the midst of other beliefs and lifestyles we may not agree with.  

Moses and Daniel didn't have an option, silly excuse you pose.  As to your last, the Lord doesn't place kids in public school because that would be contrary to his Word, you make him a liar.  

It hasn't happened for you yet, you're young and foolish, but someday, I hope, that you see the error of your ways and repent.  Hopefully before the world finishes devouring your children.

• Members

Moses and Daniel didn't have an option, silly excuse you pose.  As to your last, the Lord doesn't place kids in public school because that would be contrary to his Word, you make him a liar.  

It hasn't happened for you yet, you're young and foolish, but someday, I hope, that you see the error of your ways and repent.  Hopefully before the world finishes devouring your children.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree.  I'm not changing your mind, and you aren't changing mine.

• Members

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree.  I'm not changing your mind, and you aren't changing mine.

If the King James Bible was your final authority for all matters of faith and practice then you'd be on God's side.

• Members

If the King James Bible was your final authority for all matters of faith and practice then you'd be on God's side.

I don't see that God has "sides" as you put it, in this issue.  We all find ourselves in different places in life.  Being on God's side is accepting where we are at in life, and demonstrating his love and compassion to people around us.  So in that regard, I am on "God's side."  

I find myself in a particular situation in life over which I have no control.  What I have control over is my response.  Right now, God calls me and my family to have our children in our local public neighborhood school.  It is where he has placed us to be salt and light to the world, and we are loving the people around us.  

As long as God is happy with me, which I believe he is, I don't need anyone else's approval or thoughts. Think what you will.  It really doesn't bother me at all.

• Members

I don't see that God has "sides" as you put it, in this issue.  We all find ourselves in different places in life.  Being on God's side is accepting where we are at in life, and demonstrating his love and compassion to people around us.  So in that regard, I am on "God's side."  

I find myself in a particular situation in life over which I have no control.  What I have control over is my response.  Right now, God calls me and my family to have our children in our local public neighborhood school.  It is where he has placed us to be salt and light to the world, and we are loving the people around us.  

As long as God is happy with me, which I believe he is, I don't need anyone else's approval or thoughts. Think what you will.  It really doesn't bother me at all.

The Lord certainly has sides.  Them that are saved and them that are lost.  There are those in fellowship with God and those who have broken fellowship.  

The Lord will not have you send your kids to be indoctrinated in the devil's ways at government school, it is contrary to His Word.  God would not have you reading Egyptian Bibles and fellowshipping with false "churches".  Those are your errors and contrary to His Word.  

To those who may not know me, I made these same mistakes and with some took a long time to learn the right way too.

I'm not going to change your mind but I will reprove, rebuke and exhort with all long suffering.  Christians cannot let your errors stand otherwise some may be deceived as well.  Once you surrender your will, then you will change by the power of the Holy Ghost.  

• Members

The Lord certainly has sides.  Them that are saved and them that are lost.  There are those in fellowship with God and those who have broken fellowship.  

The Lord will not have you send your kids to be indoctrinated in the devil's ways at government school, it is contrary to His Word.  God would not have you reading Egyptian Bibles and fellowshipping with false "churches".  Those are your errors and contrary to His Word.  

To those who may not know me, I made these same mistakes and with some took a long time to learn the right way too.

I'm not going to change your mind but I will reprove, rebuke and exhort with all long suffering.  Christians cannot let your errors stand otherwise some may be deceived as well.  Once you surrender your will, then you will change by the power of the Holy Ghost.  

At school the kids learn reading, writing mathematics, science, history, foreign languages.  They learn about the earth and natural laws that God has created.  They are learning the same things there as they would in a private Christian school, minus the religious education, which I can assure you they are getting at home and church.  

So, we are giving them a foundation for life.  We are completely involved in their education.  We know their teacher.  Help in the classroom at times.  Know the kids in the school.  Know the administration.  We work together for the better future of the children.

That is where God has placed me at this phase in my life.  To be "salt and light" to the world in which I live, and that happens to be in my neighborhood school.  We have had families come to church with us we met at school.  We have developed great relationships with people of different backgrounds.  It is a good thing.  It is being a part of the community God put me in.

So if that is going astray, so be it.  I am happy.  My family is happy.  I believe in my heart that we are doing just what God wants us to be doing in this phase of life.  My daughter has really become very confident in herself, her reading and mathematics has progressed leaps and bounds, and she has really blossomed in her school.  It is good for her.  

So I am sorry you see things the way you do.  Each family must follow God within the community in which they live.  That is exactly what I am doing.

• Members

I'm not Zed, but can I answer too? :wink

Why the negative approach? Anything I missed having or doing as a kid was stuff that we couldn't afford and that school wouldn't have provided anyways (like trips to the mountains, etc.). I loved the extra time that we got as homeschoolers (couldn't imagine being stuck in a classroom for 7 hours to do what I could get finished in 3), and the freedom to go to historical sites during school hours (as opposed to on weekends when they are overrun with visitors - didn't appreciate that one until I started working!). I liked being able to plan sleepovers with my friends, then stay up late and get our school done so we could play all the next day! Any particular lessons I wanted (art, music, skiing, swimming, what have you) were available through the local outreach school program, or organized by the homeschool group. I enjoyed teaching myself high school history, assigning my own projects and being able to present my worldview without censoring it for a dissenting teacher. I certainly didn't miss the social pressure and bullying of the schools.

You missed out on all Obama's free style benefits... :(  

• Members

They are learning the same things there as they would in a private Christian school, minus the religious education, which I can assure you they are getting at home and church.  

No, they are getting confused and not the same education as children in a proper Christian school.  First, they are being taught evolution all day long, it's interwoven into the curriculum of all subjects.  Second, they are not being taught critical thinking, but to be liberal activist drones.  The sodomite agenda and all manner of other unGodly things are being drummed into them all day long.  Then you spend hours trying to undo or add to what they learned in school each day?  It's just ridiculous.

My churches academy for example, weaves God and Christians into every subject, not secular humanism.  Science is not taught from the make believe world of the evolution believing humanists, but through God and the Scriptures.

Using Egyptian bibles, attending a rock-n-roll synagogue of satan, sending your kids to Godless government schools, voting Democrat, supporting the murder of the unborn and all other liberal political and social causes is a sure fire way to separate yourself from the God of the Bible.

kindofblue1977, on 07 Feb 2014 - 3:10 PM, said:

I believe in my heart that we are doing just what God wants us to be doing in this phase of life.

Here's the underlying problem again KOB, you're trusting in your heart and not in God's Word.  What sayeth the Lord about our hearts again???

• Members

It depends on your area, I think.  Here, the only public schools even remotely "good" are the ones in rich school districts.  The others are not so good, and the closer to Philly you get, the more miserable the public schools are.  Our kids are in Christian school, but it is a lot of money (even for the discount we receive) and there are still "bad" kids there, so my kids still have to learn that we don't do what all the other families do (even though that's not easy most of the time).

I can't imagine sending my kids to a public school in my area.  If we were more rural or in a more conservative area...then maybe I'd consider it.  However to me, one of the worst parts of public school is the humanistic philosophy, the evolution teaching, and the sex education.  I get more upset about those things than I do the other kids, in general, I think.

• Members

I live in a very rural, conservative area and the public schools here are filled with the same anti-God, pro-sin garbage as everywhere else across the country.

Hm.  Okay...good to know....

I sure wish Christian education wasn't so expensive.  Ugh.

Archived