• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Taken Your Children Out Of Christian School Can Be Good

The Glory Land

• Members

Around 10th grade, putting them in public schools can prepare them better for college. How to deal with the real World, people that are normal and wierd. How to practice all what they have learned to now. They will get a little dirty, but this will do them well.Remember when you got a little dirty, but your doing just fine now. Don't make them weak to the pray.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most private Christian schools in my area are for upper class people who do not want to send their children to a more diverse school.  

For me, a middle class citizen, public schools are where my children go.  We have found the fear of my upper class friends is completely unfounded.  The public schools are very good, plus, I save $16,000-$20,000 a year tuition.

Plus the history of private schools in my area is disturbing.  When public schools were desegregated, private schools opened.  It appears this is "white flight" to keep white kids separate from black kids.  I know that is not the intent today, but it still works that way.

For my and my house, we are public school people.  :-)  And my children are thriving. 

• Members

Around 10th grade, putting them in public schools can prepare them better for college. How to deal with the real World, people that are normal and wierd. How to practice all what they have learned to now. They will get a little dirty, but this will do them well.Remember when you got a little dirty, but your doing just fine now. Don't make them weak to the pray.

Well, my two nephews both were home schooled but eventually put into a private school. I'd be cautious about sticking them into public school if you don't have to. I never understood the reasoning about throwing the kids into the filth of the world so they can learn what it's like. That seems to go against these verses:

Romans 16:19- For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

Revelation 2:24- But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

Matthew 7:6- Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

I realize that not all Christians can home school or afford private school. But if it's in your power to do these things you should do it.

• Members

Well, my two nephews both were home schooled but eventually put into a private school. I'd be cautious about sticking them into public school if you don't have to. I never understood the reasoning about throwing the kids into the filth of the world so they can learn what it's like. That seems to go against these verses:

Romans 16:19- For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

Revelation 2:24- But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

Matthew 7:6- Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

It disturbs me to hear you call public schools "filth of the world."  Are you claiming the children in those schools are "filth?"  I certainly hope that is not what you mean.  And if that is what you mean, your perception is completely inaccurate.

• Members

It disturbs me to hear you call public schools "filth of the world."  Are you claiming the children in those schools are "filth?"  I certainly hope that is not what you mean.  And if that is what you mean, your perception is completely inaccurate.

Yes. I work for a public school and I wouldn't send my kids there unless they needed condoms.

• Members

Yes. I work for a public school and I wouldn't send my kids there unless they needed condoms.

Not all public schools are alike.

The public schools here are very good, and both of my daughters are thriving in them.  We have met many wonderful families in her school, and are building community together.  

No child is "filth."  We are all products of our environment.  If you had been born into a very difficult home life, you would behave the same way.  That does not mean the child is filth.  That means the child needs to be loved and cared for. 

Some schools are undoubtedly rough.  Others are not as rough.  But that does not make any school "filth of the world."  If a school is dangerous, such as an inner city school, one should not send their child to that school.  Those children are very rough, and need special care and attention to help escape the generational poverty they were born into.  It just as easily could be you or me.  

But just a normal public school, in most places I have lived, is great.  Jesus said we are to be salt and light to the world.  Salt is not intended to stay in a shaker.  It only does good if it goes out and works in and with people in their community.  We are working to build excellent public schools here where all children have an opportunity for a bright future.  Whereas private schools make sure only those children born into families with financial resources have a bright future.

• Members

Not all public schools are alike.

The public schools here are very good, and both of my daughters are thriving in them.  We have met many wonderful families in her school, and are building community together.  

No child is "filth."  We are all products of our environment.  If you had been born into a very difficult home life, you would behave the same way.  That does not mean the child is filth.  That means the child needs to be loved and cared for. 

Some schools are undoubtedly rough.  Others are not as rough.  But that does not make any school "filth of the world."  If a school is dangerous, such as an inner city school, one should not send their child to that school.  Those children are very rough, and need special care and attention to help escape the generational poverty they were born into.  It just as easily could be you or me.  

But just a normal public school, in most places I have lived, is great.  Jesus said we are to be salt and light to the world.  Salt is not intended to stay in a shaker.  It only does good if it goes out and works in and with people in their community.  We are working to build excellent public schools here where all children have an opportunity for a bright future.  Whereas private schools make sure only those children born into families with financial resources have a bright future.

When the children start making out with other children of the same sex in the cafeteria and hallways (and the school doesn't bat and eye at it) then, yes, the children are filth. 

Psalms 14:2,3- 

[2] The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
[3] They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

• Members

All three of ours were home-schooled through 12th grade. My daughter completed two years of technical school and has a government job as an administrative assistant. My eldest son is the superintendent for a construction and maintenance company and my youngest, having also completed two years of technical school is a roadway designer for the state. He is also attending college and engaged to the pastor's daughter. All three of ours are in church and, as far as dealing with the "real world", have no problems making lots of friends. I wouldn't give :twocents: for a public school.

• Members

When the children start making out with other children of the same sex in the cafeteria and hallways (and the school doesn't bat and eye at it) then, yes, the children are filth. 

Psalms 14:2,3- 

[2] The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
[3] They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

That is a problem with that particular school administration, not the children.  Kids who have grown up in a terrible environment will make terrible choices.  There are ways to handle kids who make poor decisions.

But children are never filth.  They can make poor choices, but they are never to be considered filth.

And just so you know, that kind of behavior occurs in private schools as well. I grew up in a private, very conservative Baptist school.  There were kids who had sex. Kids who did drugs.  Kids who were gay.  The difference is they kept it quiet and their parents were ignorant to their behavior, and then were shocked if it were discovered.

So if you think private school kids are different than public school kids, you are sorely mistaken.  They are all children. All loved by God.  All able to make good choices and bad choices.  Some came from strong families, and will have a greater chance of long term success.  Others came from broken homes with unloving parents, and will make more bad choices, and will have life long problems.

Public v. private school has little to do with long term success or failure.  Mom and dad being involved has everything to do with the odds of a child's outlook on life.

• Members

What really makes me angry are those that belittle others for sending their kids to public school, or try to make us feel guilty.  Private schools are largely for those who are wealthy.  Middle class cannot afford it in my area.  For 1 child here, the cost is $12,000 a year only for tuition.  Then there are registration fees, books etc.  So the total cost is probably closer to $15,000.00.  I have two in school, and will have 3 in school in a couple years.  Once all three are in school, that would average $45,000.00 a year. That is almost my entire post tax salary.  So to those of you who say you must put your child in private school, you are delusional if you think all people can do so.  For those who can afford it, great.  For me and my family, public school is our best option.

If I sent my kids to private school, we would be unable to pay our mortgage or buy food.  

• Members

My Wife attended a "Christian school" for a while and she said the kids there were about as worldly as the ones at public school. So, I would reiterate; home school is the way to go. As far as cost, books and curriculum can even be bought used online and this can cost as little as a few hundred per year.  If you home school them, your biggest investment will be time.

As far as "filth". It is ungodly to teach a child that he/she evolved,and that a "big bang" created the universe. It is also ungodly to make kids 'dress out' and take showers in an open room, naked in front of their peers in P.E. It's like feeding your kids to the wolves to let them listen to a teacher with a foul mouth who curses and swears and likes to interject little innuendos from time to time. Why wouldn't he? He doesn't believe there are any eternal consequences for his actions. As to filthy children; many are. They will repeat the little dirty jokes they hear at school and most kids hear about sex from other kids long before Dad gives them "the talk". The Bible says........ Proverbs 22Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Who is training your child; you or that nasty, cussing teacher down at the school house?

• Members

My Wife attended a "Christian school" for a while and she said the kids there were about as worldly as the ones at public school. So, I would reiterate; home school is the way to go. As far as cost, books and curriculum can even be bought used online and this can cost as little as a few hundred per year.  If you home school them, your biggest investment will be time.

As far as "filth". It is ungodly to teach a child that he/she evolved,and that a "big bang" created the universe. It is also ungodly to make kids 'dress out' and take showers in an open room, naked in front of their peers in P.E. It's like feeding your kids to the wolves to let them listen to a teacher with a foul mouth who curses and swears and likes to interject little innuendos from time to time. Why wouldn't he? He doesn't believe there are any eternal consequences for his actions. As to filthy children; many are. They will repeat the little dirty jokes they hear at school and most kids hear about sex from other kids long before Dad gives them "the talk". The Bible says........ Proverbs 22Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Who is training your child; you or that nasty, cussing teacher down at the school house?

Home school is great for many families.  It is not for other families.

Each family must do what is best for them.

To call any child filthy is extremely un Christ like..  Any child who hears that will be deeply hurt.  No Christian should see any child in this world as filthy.  All children should be loved.  A child cannot be blamed for the terrible things their parents may have done or failed to do for them.

Any child who hears a Christian refer to him or her as filthy will likely reject Christianity for all eternity.

My church works with an inner city school.  We invite all of the children and their families to our church for a Christmas dinner.  These children are probably the "filthy" ones you are referring to.  They are rough.  They curse sometimes.  But they are human.  Just like you or me.  Many are born into terrible situations not of their own doing and are merely trying to find love and acceptance and trying to survive.

We are to show love.  They are not filthy. They are human, just like you and me.  They may behave badly at times, but love can overcome that.  However, if we treat them as "filthy" they will reject anything we have to say.

What a terrible way to see people.

There are no nasty teachers in my child's school.  I meet them.  I talk to them.  I get to knwo them.  I befriend them.  If a teacher cursed at my child, the principal would find out and she would be fired.  That is not tolerated in the public schools here.

• Moderators

SongofDegrees, I'm shocked at you. No child is 'filth' - except in the sense that we all are. 

Public schools have to toe the line in curriculum - and when you get worldly teachers teaching the values and beliefs of the world, that is where rot sets in. There are some great teachers out there too, I'm sure, who contribute their own good values - but they are handicapped by the curriculum. That is the great downfall of public education in this culture.

That being said, private schools are not immune. Growing up in my small town (and small town Alberta is very conservative), I had kids in the Christian school tell me that the Christian school students acted out worse than the public school kids - just to prove that they weren't any different. The lives of those friends that told me this proved their point quite well. 

Even good church schools can have issues. Would you send your kids to a IFB school that uses PCC material, but is based in a church that is beginning to teach Calvinism in the Bible studies and Bible Institute?

I am a homeschooler to the core, and don't see where Christian schools are the be all and end all. BUT... I have learned that there are people who shouldn't be homeschooling. So if my favored means of education doesn't work for everyone, I suppose another means is necessary. 

• Administrators

What really makes me angry are those that belittle others for sending their kids to public school, or try to make us feel guilty.  Private schools are largely for those who are wealthy.  Middle class cannot afford it in my area.  For 1 child here, the cost is $12,000 a year only for tuition.  Then there are registration fees, books etc.  So the total cost is probably closer to $15,000.00.  I have two in school, and will have 3 in school in a couple years.  Once all three are in school, that would average $45,000.00 a year. That is almost my entire post tax salary.  So to those of you who say you must put your child in private school, you are delusional if you think all people can do so.  For those who can afford it, great.  For me and my family, public school is our best option.

If I sent my kids to private school, we would be unable to pay our mortgage or buy food.  

I'm glad you specified in your area.  Because not all private schools are for the wealthy -in fact, in our area, tuition is really quite affordable in several schools.  $12,000 is a lot of money, and with the economy that we are struggling with today, that makes it nigh to impossible for someone to send their kids to a private school. There is no way we could have/would have spent that kind of money per year.  Our school's tuition, for members, would come to that and half again for all 12 years (well, based on when our son was in school - it may be a bit more).

I agree that each family needs to come to a decision based on how God leads them.  We err when we assume that we know each family situation.  That does not mean I support situation ethics. It means that each family is individual, earns a certain amount of money, and knows their own finances. Does that mean they don't trust God? Of course not - but for one person to tell another person they aren't trusting God because they aren't doing what that one person says they ought is stepping outside the bounds of male headship of families.

That said, though, there are things being taught in public schools that I would not want to allow to influence my children.  As KOB said, though, it is a very sad truth that things like this do happen in private schools.  The older I get, the more in favor of homeschooling I am.  we homeschooled our son through grade 5, and put him in a great Christian school after that.  But I still wish we had homeschooled all the way through.

It is a mistake to think that homeschooling for grade school and then putting the kids in public high school will be good for them. Allow them to learn to pray?  If they are living a real life (and most homeschoolers live real life more than kids in any kind of other school), they will learn to pray if their parents teach them by precept and example.  They will also learn to pray if they are in any other kind of school if their parents teach them by precept and example.

Children are sinners, just as adults are.  And, sadly, today they seem to get more and more wicked at younger and younger ages (I would not go so far as to call them filth, though...their actions often are, but it's important to differentiate).  That is a problem with parents, for sure. But there is also the fact that teachers are taught to be temporal rather than eternal, just as heart pointed out.  And with the addition of common core, there are going to be even more academic issues, kids not learning what they are capable of...

The Bible tells us that "foolishness is bound in the heart of a child..."  It's bound into their hearts.  Parents need to loosen that foolishness, but it is a long process (the rod driveth it far from him...).  Then there is the verse: "He that walketh with wise men shall be wise, but a companion of fools shall be destroyed."  When we have other options but we put our children, whose hearts are bound with foolishness, into a room of others whose hearts are also bound in foolishness, we are forcing our children to be companions of fools.  Notice I said if we had other options.  When we put our son in, we really didn't have other options, even though we'd been homeschooling.

I have a good friend who has no choice but to have her girls in public school (court-ordered because of a divorce).  But she is very proactive about it. She is very involved in her girls' lives, and spends a lot of time teaching them (both by precept and example) how to follow the Lord even while in the world. They are young yet, and their father has no real interest in them growing to love the Lord.  So the only spiritual influence they have is their mother and their church.  I am constantly amazed at how strong they are in their beliefs about the Lord.  And they are only 4th and 5th grade.  They have their problems, as do all kids, but mom spends a lot of time in prayer begging God for wisdom and mercy.  And He is answering.

• Members

That is a problem with that particular school administration, not the children. Kids who have grown up in a terrible environment will make terrible choices. There are ways to handle kids who make poor decisions.

But children are never filth. They can make poor choices, but they are never to be considered filth.

And just so you know, that kind of behavior occurs in private schools as well. I grew up in a private, very conservative Baptist school. There were kids who had sex. Kids who did drugs. Kids who were gay. The difference is they kept it quiet and their parents were ignorant to their behavior, and then were shocked if it were discovered.

So if you think private school kids are different than public school kids, you are sorely mistaken. They are all children. All loved by God. All able to make good choices and bad choices. Some came from strong families, and will have a greater chance of long term success. Others came from broken homes with unloving parents, and will make more bad choices, and will have life long problems.

Public v. private school has little to do with long term success or failure. Mom and dad being involved has everything to do with the odds of a child's outlook on life.

Absolutely correct!!! My kids go to public school and I am happy with it. They teach my kids to read and write, my wife and I teach our kids about Jesus. We teach our kids what's it's like to be a Christian in the world, we talk about their day in light of what they perceive and how if lines up to Scripture. They are young now but hopefully God will use it later in life.

Archived