• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

It Is Not For Kings

• Members

"The Son of man is come eating and drink­ing," had absolutely no reference to alcoholic drinks whatsoever.  Rather, it was a statement which con­trasted the open life style of the Lord Jesus to the secluded life of John the Baptist.  Jesus was simply making a statement that, while John the Baptist practiced seclusion when it came to the choice of dining with others, Jesus was not quick to dismiss an invitation to eat at other people's tables.

One might argue that Jesus sat at the table with sinners.  While Scripture reveals this to be true,  it still does not say He drank alcohol.   One has to insert into the Scripture what is not there in order to put alcohol in the Lord’s hand.

What does the Word of God say?  Would Jesus have drank alcohol?  If He did, what kind of example would He have been for the lost?  Every man that ever became a drunkard started with one drink.  If that man were honest with himself and with God, he would admit that that first drink had an effect on him…. It caused him to want more.  The more he drank, the more he believed he could handle the alcohol.  And The more he thought he was in control, he was not.

Instead, the alcohol was controlling him.

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Alcohol has the power to deceive a man.  The way it works on the human body is very deceptive.  The first organ it attacks is the brain.  That is why it is able to deceive.  That is why man believes he is in control when, in reality, he is not.

Would Jesus have drank alcohol?  Absolutely not!  Jesus was, is, and always will be, the King of kings.

Proverbs 31:4-5 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Jesus Christ is declared to be the Prince of Peace.  It is not for kings to drink wine, nor for princes strong drink.

John 12:15 Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass's colt.

Jesus Christ entered Jerusalem just days before His crucifixion, sitting on an ass’s colt, just as Scripture declared the King of Sion would.  It is not for kings to drink wine, nor for princes strong drink.

Those who insist that Jesus drank alcohol are as guilty of the same error as those falsely accusing Him in Matthew 11:19 and Luke 7:34.

It is not for kings to drink wine, nor for princes strong drink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I dunno-do we really want to open this subject again, after the last had to be closed down?

Each of us will stand before the Lord for what we do. I am no one's pastor here, (except my wife's!), and as such, I have no authority over them, and what they do. We have had a spirited conversation on the subject, but perhaps it would be wiser to set it aside for now, lest we be called into account for the uproar.

• Members

I shared in another thread about a man who went into a restaurant and ordered a beer then went over to my firends table and started talking ministry.

Well anyway his excuse for drinking was he was having a rough day.

When you rely on alcohol instead of God to help you handle the stress of life you are already in the wrong as a Christian.

Right now at this moment I am in the most severe pain.  I turned around last week and my back went out.  I went to the doctors got an xray and learned my disc between L5 and S1 is as thin as paper and almost all gone from absorption.  The pain is non stop and severe.  For five days I had no medication what so ever but I still did not resort to drinking alcohol for some relief.  I prayed continually for the Lord to give me the ability to endure the pain.  At times I was crying as it hurt so bad.  Imagine a grown man crying like a baby.

I have had meds for the last three days but they are pretty addicting so instead of taking them as the Doctors prescribed I only take them before bedtime at night just so I can sleep without pain for at least a few hours.  I still wake up in pain but I put on an ice pack and pray the lord help me endure without taking any more of the drugs.

When men resort to using alcohol to change their attitude i.e. their heart, they are going the wrong direction away from God not closer to him.

I am a child of God via the Cross of Christ.  If I am his body why would I want to defile his body by drinking Alcohol.  I am the King's Body and wine is not for Kings nor strong drink for princes.

Archived