• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mpai Includes Me

ThePilgrim

• Members

Just reading Vox's blog this morning and realized MPAI (Most People Are Idiots) applies to all of us whether we accept the truth of it or not.

"Most people, being idiots, fail to understand the purpose of my regular resort to the acronym MPAI. It is not a reminder to hold others in contempt; it is a flaw in my character that I seldom need any such reminders. Rather, it is a reminder that most people do not think before speaking or acting and that one should therefore not take pointless offense at their thoughtless words and actions. It is a reminder that people are making decisions with differing amounts of information and differing cognitive capacities, and that it is foolish to expect people to respond to the same input factors in the same way that I would.

God is an ever-present reminder that we are not the center of the universe. Naturally and instinctively from birth we are inclined to believe that our awareness is the center of all Creation and that without us the universe does not exist. This is why pride is a root of so much evil and why humility is a virtue. Humility is the child's acceptance of his true place in the grand scheme of things, and it is little wonder that so many minds cling to their foolish pride and flee from that awful reality.

The observable fact is that without God, humanity is without hope. That is why even the finest minds have never been able to do better than the ancient philosophers did in advising calm acceptance of the daily horror show combined with the firm resolution to make the most of what little time one has."

God bless,

Larry

• Moderators

This reminds me of something I read once:

Hanlon's Razor

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Never assume stupidity when ignorance will suffice.
Never assume ignorance when forgivable error will suffice
Never assume error when information you hadn't adequately accounted for will suffice.

• Members

Just reading Vox's blog this morning and realized MPAI (Most People Are Idiots) applies to all of us whether we accept the truth of it or not.

God is an ever-present reminder that we are not the center of the universe. Naturally and instinctively from birth we are inclined to believe that our awareness is the center of all Creation and that without us the universe does not exist. This is why pride is a root of so much evil and why humility is a virtue. Humility is the child's acceptance of his true place in the grand scheme of things, and it is little wonder that so many minds cling to their foolish pride and flee from that awful reality.

God bless,

Larry

Yes you are right it is hard to look in God's mirror and see that I am nothing and those around me are nothing ......  without Him.

so many resort to making themselves "something" according to the world.  God will keep us in line if we let Him.

Archived