• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christians That Are Falling Easy Into This World Traps...

The Glory Land

• Members

we can drink and smoke now if we want, and tats for that matter, we are no longer under the law, but Fundamentalist wishes we were

Jeffrey, if we are not under the law then why do you keep quoting Deuteronomy 14:26? You can't claim the promises of the law if you refuse to do the works of the law. Furthermore, Jesus explicitly said that he had not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it (Matthew 5:17).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BY the way, even Charles Spurgeon, who smoked cigars mostly because of health issues, gave them up because he began to be associated with them by cigar companies and saw it would hurt the cause of Christ. He wanted to be known as a preacher of righteousness, not a smoker of such and such brand stogies.

Not just any cigars they were Frenchies(from France). First time I heard he smoked them for medical purposes. Have any info on how long he smoked them after he was saved?

Did he quit because he looked upon it as Sin; or because they were using his name to promote their product??

• Members

I remember reading that Spurgeon was walking through town.  He saw a sign in a window that said something to the effect that this is the brand that Spurgeon smokes.  I read at that moment he was convicted and stopped.

Ukelelemike can clarify that.

• Moderators

Not just any cigars they were Frenchies(from France). First time I heard he smoked them for medical purposes. Have any info on how long he smoked them after he was saved?

Did he quit because he looked upon it as Sin; or because they were using his name to promote their product??

I found this from a letter Spurgeon wronte to a newspaper on the subject:

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name; this is what I meant, and by no means did I use sacred words triflingly."

So it would appear that thee was some issue he dealt with that the tobacco gave some ease to, though what it was I don't know.

I have heard that tobbacco use can ease the effects of Parkinson's, though I am not sure of the veracity of it. One thing Spurgeon did do was to show that he was not under the power of it-he willingly gave it up for a long time on the challenge of a pipe smoker, who within a week was back on his pipe, while Spurgeon went months.

• Members

Hmmm - I read it was a sign in a store. Ah, well. Fact remains he was convicted and quit.  :clapping:

I think it was a huge sign, like a billboard.  I could be wrong, though.  It's been awhile since I read the story.

Amen for Spurgeon.   :clap:

• Members

Jeffery, not arguing about it-its something each believer must decide on their own, though the advice and teaching of the word can certainly be a help.

However, my point was not just that-its the entire way of understanding Christian liberty, that it doesn't mean we do as we please, it means that even IN our liberties, we must be willing to consider where we must place our own boundaires on those liberties, and usually, those boundaires are from outside ourselves. Too often Christians are unwilling to do so.."Its MY liberty, MY freedom to do such and such". Great, but what about the God-given responsibilities we have to the glory of God and the edification of others and the expediencey of the gospel?  "Forget that! I'm gonna have a beer, cuz I have LIBERTY IN CHRIST!".

Every person (saved or unsaved) is pricked in their conscious and convicted of sin;  they either choose to be more Christ-like and flee the sin, suppress the truth, or be unaware of their sin because of a seared conscious.

Our liberty should not be a stumbling block for a brother or sister in Christ.  

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 

• Members

Jeffrey, if we are not under the law then why do you keep quoting Deuteronomy 14:26? You can't claim the promises of the law if you refuse to do the works of the law. Furthermore, Jesus explicitly said that he had not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it (Matthew 5:17).

I want to get to everyone's responses tonight, but I will do this one first,
God made it available to the Isrealites through the OT as a sign of blessing which carried through to the NT and till today. As evidence at the wedding in John's Gospel, mentions if it in Acts 2, and Corinthians,Timothy, Colossians.
I ask again if the Bible talks about grape juice, why in Timothy are elders not to be filled with much grape juice?
Why in Romans and Collosians does Paul tell you that let no man judge you for drinking grape juice? It just does not make spence to Scriptural content! I'm still checking, but I believe that there is no early church history of the teaching of grape juice before the Temperance Movement of the 1800's

• Moderators

I want to get to everyone's responses tonight, but I will do this one first,
God made it available to the Isrealites through the OT as a sign of blessing which carried through to the NT and till today. As evidence at the wedding in John's Gospel, mentions if it in Acts 2, and Corinthians,Timothy, Colossians.
I ask again if the Bible talks about grape juice, why in Timothy are elders not to be filled with much grape juice?
Why in Romans and Collosians does Paul tell you that let no man judge you for drinking grape juice? It just does not make spence to Scriptural content! I'm still checking, but I believe that there is no early church history of the teaching of grape juice before the Temperance Movement of the 1800's

Its a little something I like to call Context. The context will generally tell you which is which. If you can get drunk off of it, its alcoholic-if its a blessing, its not.

Actually, in the OT, there are diffefent words translated 'wine' and omemeans specifically the juice, unfermented, while the other may refer to either. No access to my dictionary right now so can't tell you which at the moment.

• Members

Its a little something I like to call Context. The context will generally tell you which is which. If you can get drunk off of it, its alcoholic-if its a blessing, its not.

Actually, in the OT, there are diffefent words translated 'wine' and omemeans specifically the juice, unfermented, while the other may refer to either. No access to my dictionary right now so can't tell you which at the moment.

So what the wine and strong drink in Duet 14:26? Or do you contort Scripture to fit your argument?

Archived