• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christians That Are Falling Easy Into This World Traps...

The Glory Land

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Having neighbors over for a meal, then a drink and a cigar afterwards and giving them the Gospel is doing the Lord's work."

Not so.  Light hath no fellowship with darkness.  You cannot be partakers of the Lord's table and drink from the devils cup.

1 Peter 4:3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

"Banquetings" is speaking of social drinking.  And God's Word reveals it to be something that should be in our past, nor our present lives.

Christians should not be advocating drinking alcohol.  Funny how they that do always try to justify it by saying they are giving the Gospel to that person.

Actually, it is sad.   We are in the world, yet not of the world.  We are not to act like the world to win the world.

• Members

You keep saying that Jesus drank wine - the Bible is plain that he did.
What is not plain is whether or not it was alcoholic wine.

The context in certain places indicates that wine in the Bible was not always alcoholic.
Therefore to see the word wine doesn't automatically mean Jesus drank alcohol.

In fact, the context often indicates that the wine He drank was not alcohol, and other verses already shown show that to be a king (for instance) would make it very unlikely that he drank alcohol.

The weight of evidence would suggest that while wine can be alcoholic in the Bible, it is not always, and the best assumption is that because of His various offices Jesus drank no alcohol.

• Moderators

BY the way, even Charles Spurgeon, who smoked cigars mostly because of health issues, gave them up because he began to be associated with them by cigar companies and saw it would hurt the cause of Christ. He wanted to be known as a preacher of righteousness, not a smoker of such and such brand stogies.

• Members

Jeffrey, you continue to bring up the subject of alcohol in each thread.  HC has asked that we stop discussing it in every thread.  I would suggest that you either start a thread on it or follow the one that  SFIC started the other day.  Just sayin'...

• Members

Never mind, Jeffrey.  The thread was posted for IFB's.  I would appreciate it if you would post a thread on it, though.  You seem to know every scripture on it.  I have been waiting for you to start the topic for awhile now.  *sigh*  I will have no access to the internet for the majority of tomorrow, through the weekend, until Tuesday.  Even today I have to do my packing.

Sorry, Ukelelemike.  I didn't mean to step on your toes.  It just seems that the subject of alcohol comes up in every thread that Jeffrey participates in.  HC asked that he start a thread on it in the marijuana thread.  I am just following her lead.

• Members

BY the way, even Charles Spurgeon, who smoked cigars mostly because of health issues, gave them up because he began to be associated with them by cigar companies and saw it would hurt the cause of Christ. He wanted to be known as a preacher of righteousness, not a smoker of such and such brand stogies.

I'll be a little more blunt (as I've been told I usually am).

For a "christian" to have a drink and a smoke with a lost person hurts our testimony, and shows the lost that we are no different than they are, whereas we are supposed to be separate, supposed to be different. To engage in worldly sins and do the things that the lost do just shows the world that we are hypocritical in our actions when we are "professing" that we are saved and are "supposedly" different.

Same goes for attending rock concerts, getting tattoos, and so on.

A truly saved, separated Bible-believing Christian would strive NOT to be (and act) like the world.

• Members

One of the Moderators can move my two threads on alcohol to an open Forum if they wish.

I didn't know that SFIC.  Great idea!  Ukelelemike, would you please move SFIC's post to the main forum please?  I would love to get the discussion going.  Many threads get derailed and they are hard to follow, b/c this topic always comes up.   

• Members

I would agree that it fits under the topic.  Falling to the world covers a multitude of things. :runforhills:  Thanks, candle!  :clap:

I am curious, thought, how I got quoted saying something I didn't say... :eek

Okay, HC.  I haven't been following this thread b/c it wasn't clear to me what the OP was asking.  It was very vague.  I believe  DaveW gave a great definition of "Christian Liberty" though.

I just remember the marijuana thread and didn't want to get in trouble for talking about alcohol, again.  I am really trying to be on my best behavior b/c when I joined OB again I wasn't.  :)

Should I move my post from the IFB forum on alcohol over here?  It pertains to what Jeffrey is saying.

• Administrators

Okay, HC.  I haven't been following this thread b/c it wasn't clear to me what the OP was asking.  It was very vague.  I believe  DaveW gave a great definition of "Christian Liberty" though.  Me, too!

I just remember the marijuana thread and didn't want to get in trouble for talking about alcohol, again.  I am really trying to be on my best behavior b/c when I joined OB again I wasn't.   :)  

Should I move my post from the IFB forum on alcohol over here?  It pertains to what Jeffrey is saying.

If you want to move it, that's fine.

• Members

*Repost*  for Jeffrey.  This is something I wrote in the marijuana thread.

John 2:1-10

King James Version (KJV)

2 And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:
2 And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.
3 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.
7 Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim.
8 And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it.
9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom,
10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

The "good wine" was not alcoholic wine.  It was PURE grape juice.  I am shocked when I hear Christians talk about Jesus drinking alcoholic wine.  How could the sinless Son of God miraculously fabricate a wine which His own Holy word denounced as "the poison of the serpent." Proverbs 23-32.  Lets flip the coin and show the other side.  Some Christians will use every gimmick of interpretation and every technical loophole. Christ's first miracle is one of the most misunderstood  passages in the Bible.  But there is no foundation in scripture to back the assumption that Jesus was an alcoholic.  In the other thread, it was mentioned that Jesus' enemies said that.  I am certainly not going to support his enemies.  Our Saviour is sinless. If Jesus made and drank alcoholic wine, let's all do it.  Lets let our children go on their merry way towards alcoholism.  

Not all wine is alcoholic any more than all cider is hard.  It is inconceivable to me that our blessed Lord Jesus Christ would ever produce an intoxicant, or that He used fermented wine at Passover.  The Jews (at that time) did not drink alcohol during Passover.  It was forbidden.  He used this wine at Passover as the symbol of His own shed blood.

Fermented wine is decayed wine.  Can that be the symbol of new life in the Spirit?  His holy flesh never saw decay or corruption.  The cup of the Lord and the cup of the devil are two entirely different things.  Jesus also miraculously created bread to feed the five thousand, but it was not moldy bread.  Now did he create rotten fish?  Jesus Christ is the creator of life, not death.

Sorry the font is so big.  I copied and pasted this, and got large print for some reason.

Archived