• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does God Love Us For Who We Are Or For What We Do?

• Members

In one of His more recent postings, Pastor Paul Chappell indicated that the Lord our God loves us for who we are, not for what we do.  Now, this thread has not been started in order to contend specifically with Brother Chappell's statement or with his use of Scripture to support that statement.  However, this particular statement did stir up what might called a "soap-box issue" for me.  Thus I present the question --

Does God's Holy Word teach that the Lord our God loves us for who we are, and not for what we do?

(Yes, I have what I believe is a Biblical answer; but I will refrain for the moment in order to allow others that opportunity first to study and meditate in God's Word.)

Note: Since I have specifically asked what God's Holy Word teaches on this matter, I would request that posters support whatever answer they give through the presentation of Scripture.  Thank you.

• Members

In one of His more recent postings, Pastor Paul Chappell indicated that the Lord our God loves us for who we are, not for what we do.  Now, this thread has not been started in order to contend specifically with Brother Chappell's statement or with his use of Scripture to support that statement.  However, this particular statement did stir up what might called a "soap-box issue" for me.  Thus I present the question --

Does God's Holy Word teach that the Lord our God loves us for who we are, and not for what we do?

(Yes, I have what I believe is a Biblical answer; but I will refrain for the moment in order to allow others that opportunity first to study and meditate in God's Word.)

Note: Since I have specifically asked what God's Holy Word teaches on this matter, I would request that posters support whatever answer they give through the presentation of Scripture.  Thank you.

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

He gave us his love while we were not saved based on no work of our own.

Eph 2:4 ¶ But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
 7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them
His love was so great that he saved us by faith alone in Christ finished work of the cross and not of one thing we have done.

1Tim 1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

while Paul attributed this verse to himself, the truth that the grace of God is exceeding abundant with faith and love is true of all believers and this grace was given in love not based on any work of our own.

But that Love of which God has shown all mankind can not be attributed to us for Salvation and its benefits unless we do one thing and that is to believe on Christ's finished work of the Cross.  So he does love us for this one thing we must do believe on His Son.

• Members

We know that He has valued us all so much, that He gave his best.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16

Even though we didn't deserve it

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5"8

Valued far more than the animals

Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10;31

Doth God take care for oxen? 10 Or saith he[it] altogether for our sakes? 1 Corinthians 9;9-10

But do we really know why?

What is man, that thou art mindful of him? Psalm 8:4 

I would say it is neither who we are nor anything we could ever do. Isn't it, instead, because of who He is? He created all things for His pleasure, but then He says it is His 'good pleasure' to give us the Kingdom,  and He says that He endured the cross for the JOY set before Him.  But then He says He wants OUR joy to be full. He's just the ultimate, selfless, giver. That's all I can say at this point.

• Members

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5"8

DothGodtake carefor oxen?10Orsaith he[it] altogetherforoursakes? 1 Corinthians 9;9-10

I would say it is neither who we are nor anything we could ever do. Isn't it, instead, because of who He is? He created all things for His pleasure, but then He says it is His 'good pleasure' to give us the Kingdom,  and He says that He endured the cross for the JOY set before Him.  But then He says He wants OUR joy to be full. He's just the ultimate, selfless, giver. That's all I can say at this point.

Brother "heartstrings,"

Is there any way that you can edit the font size in your post.  Portions of it are very difficult to read because of the small font size.

To all as they consider my question in the original post,

Has anyone considered the truth of John 14:21-23? 

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.  Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?  Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

• Moderators

Doth God take care for oxen? 10 Or saith he[it] altogether for our sakes? 1 Corinthians 9;9-10

I would say it is neither who we are nor anything we could ever do. Isn't it, instead, because of who He is? He created all things for His pleasure, but then He says it is His 'good pleasure' to give us the Kingdom, and He says that He endured the cross for the JOY set before Him. But then He says He wants OUR joy to be full. He's just the ultimate, selfless, giver. That's all I can say at this point.

Good post! Thank you for finding the verses I couldn't remember. God loves us because of who He is.

• Members

First, I wish to thank each of the few who have engaged in the discussion of this thread.  

Second, I wish to present the first two of a few principles concerning God's love for us human individuals.

Principle #1:  The Lord our God loves human individuals at different levels at different times.

God’s Holy Word reveals that there are three different levels of God’s love for us humans.

1.  First love – This is the level of God’s love wherein the Lord our God loved all human individuals as lost sinners by making a way of eternal salvation for them through the sacrifice of His only begotten Son.

John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Romans 5:8 – “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 – “For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: and that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.”

Galatians 2:20 – “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

Ephesians 5:2 – “And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.”

1 John 3:16 – “Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.”

1 John 4:9-10 – “In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.  Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.”

1 John 4:19 – “We love him, because he first loved us.”

2.  Family love – This is the level of God’s love wherein the Lord our God loves all who put their trust in His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, as personal Savior by spiritually regenerating them into His own family as His own dear children.

John 16:27 – “For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.”

John 17:22-23 – “And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.”

Romans 8:31-39 – “What shall we then say to these things?  If God be for us, who can be against us?  He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?  Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect?  It is God that justifieth.  Who is he that condemneth?  It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Ephesians 1:3-4 – “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: according as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love.”

Ephesians 2:4-10 – “But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: that in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”

Ephesians 5:25-27 – “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.”

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 – “Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.”

Titus 3:4-7 – “But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; that being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.”

Hebrews 12:5-6 – “And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: for whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.”

1 John 3:1-3 – “Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.  And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.”

Revelation 1:5-6 – “And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth.  Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, and hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”

Revelation 3:19 – “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.”

3.  Fellowship love – This is the level of God’s love wherein the Lord our God loves all believers who walk in obedience to His will by walking in intimate, spiritual fellowship with them and by favoring them with His hand of blessing.

John 14:21-23 – “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.  Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?  Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.”

John 15:9-10 – “As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.”

2 Corinthians 9:7 – “Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.”

2 Corinthians 13:11, 14 – “Finally, brethren, farewell.  Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you . . . .  The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.”

Ephesians 3:16-19 – “That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.”

Jude 1:20-21 – “But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.”

Principle #2:  By definition of God’s loving differently, the Lord our God does not love everyone equally in the same manner or equally to the same extent.

• Moderators

Does it really matter? God loves me and I don't deserve it and I did nothing to receive it. Instead, I do for Him because He loves ME-I love Him because He loved me first. I try to be obedient because He loves me and sent His Son to die for me. He loves me because He chose to love me, and I really appreciate it and that's all that matters to me. Anything I do for Him wil not make Him love me more or less.

• Members

Does it really matter? God loves me and I don't deserve it and I did nothing to receive it. Instead, I do for Him because He loves ME-I love Him because He loved me first. I try to be obedient because He loves me and sent His Son to die for me. He loves me because He chose to love me, and I really appreciate it and that's all that matters to me. Anything I do for Him wil not make Him love me more or less.

Brother Mike,

I was truly surprised and somewhat grieved by your opening question, since I have developed a definite level of respect for you as one of the more Biblically minded contributors on Online Baptist.  Yet I also took notice that with your closing statement, you appear to present a fairly emphatic declaration that does directly answer the question of my original post.  The question of the original post was -- "Does God's Holy Word teach that the Lord our God loves us for who we are, and not for what we do?"  Your answer appears to be -- "Anything I do for Him will not make Him love me more or less."  Thus it appears that the answer to the question really does matter to you.

So then, does it matter for us to understand the Biblical answer to the question of the original post?  Yes, it does.  First, it matters because correctly understanding what God's Holy Word teaches concerning any subject always matters.  This is especially true when the subject is a significant doctrine of the New Testament such as is true for the doctrine of God's love unto us human individuals.  Furthermore, it matters because holding to a wrong understanding of Biblical doctrine will open the door for false beliefs and false applications.  Finally, it matters in this specific case because so many individuals already possess a wrong understanding of this doctrine. 

In fact, Brother Mike (with all due respect unto you, and I truly do have respect for you as I have mentioned above), I would contend that your closing statement is an example of this wrong understanding.  With that closing statement, you expressed the belief and made the claim that the Lord our God does not love you any more or less for what you do or for what you do not do.  I myself would propose that the belief of this claim is Biblically false.  Yea, I would contend that God's Holy Word definitely teaches the very opposite -- that the Lord our God does indeed love us more or less based upon what we do or do not do.

Now, Brother Mike, you declared, "Anything I do for Him will not make Him love me more or less."  Concerning that declaration, I would ask -- What passages of Scripture would you employ in order to support that claim?

• Moderators

Brother Mike,

I was truly surprised and somewhat grieved by your opening question, since I have developed a definite level of respect for you as one of the more Biblically minded contributors on Online Baptist.  Yet I also took notice that with your closing statement, you appear to present a fairly emphatic declaration that does directly answer the question of my original post.  The question of the original post was -- "Does God's Holy Word teach that the Lord our God loves us for who we are, and not for what we do?"  Your answer appears to be -- "Anything I do for Him will not make Him love me more or less."  Thus it appears that the answer to the question really does matter to you.

So then, does it matter for us to understand the Biblical answer to the question of the original post?  Yes, it does.  First, it matters because correctly understanding what God's Holy Word teaches concerning any subject always matters.  This is especially true when the subject is a significant doctrine of the New Testament such as is true for the doctrine of God's love unto us human individuals.  Furthermore, it matters because holding to a wrong understanding of Biblical doctrine will open the door for false beliefs and false applications.  Finally, it matters in this specific case because so many individuals already possess a wrong understanding of this doctrine. 

In fact, Brother Mike (with all due respect unto you, and I truly do have respect for you as I have mentioned above), I would contend that your closing statement is an example of this wrong understanding.  With that closing statement, you expressed the belief and made the claim that the Lord our God does not love you any more or less for what you do or for what you do not do.  I myself would propose that the belief of this claim is Biblically false.  Yea, I would contend that God's Holy Word definitely teaches the very opposite -- that the Lord our God does indeed love us more or less based upon what we do or do not do.

Now, Brother Mike, you declared, "Anything I do for Him will not make Him love me more or less."  Concerning that declaration, I would ask -- What passages of Scripture would you employ in order to support that claim?

Perhaps I spoke more flippantly than I should have. Let me then say this:

My answer was primarily AS a believer. I understand that the Lord the Lord has for His child is different than the love He has for the lost sinner. Clearly the Lord has great love for the world, else He would not have sent His son to die for them, a great sacrifice, indeed, stemming from a great love.

But the love He has for those who have received this great gift must clearly be larger than that for those who have rejected the gift, so indeed, the decision we made in accepting the gift of salvation does make a difference in the level/quality(?) of love we have from Him.

But from this point, I will stand by my final statement because, as children of God, I would declare He loves us as a father on earth would his own children, (ideally, of course), in that, even if fellowship is broken, He still loves us as children. Family love is the ultimate love. For instance, my love for my daughters does not change one iota if we are out of fellowship, than when we are in fellowship. Am I more pleased with them when the fellowship is well? Of course, but my love doesn't change: they are my children and I can't imagine possibly loving them any more.

You give verses to attempt to say that we have a greater love in fellowship AND family, than in just family, but I disagree-I don't believe the level of love changes-yes we may be chastised when in sin, yes we may lose blessings, but the love does not change. Obedience certainly brings more blessings, more grace, perhaps, but not more love, nor does disobedience bring less love. So I can't agree with you here. Is the love of fellowship somehow greater than the love that has made us the sons of God? Blessings, yes, fellowship, yes, but love? Do you love your children more when they are obedient? I hope not. There's a reason the relationship uses these kinds of terms-He loves His children as the perfect Father, and I don't believe, nor do I see in the verses you give, that it changes. There's a difference in levels of fellowship, but not in familial love.

Is this love:

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 – “Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.”

Greater than this love?

John 15:9-10 – “As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.”

I just don't see it. The relationship may be fuller, with greater benefits that come with obedience and closer fellowship, but the level of love is no different.

• Members

Rom 8:31 ¶ What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
 33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
 34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
 36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God
, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord

Can God love those who have believed on Christ alone for salvation love them more or less than he already does?

The passage in John is to the disciples of that day.

There are three interpretations to every scripture and we must divide them correctly as well.

Historical, Doctrinal and Spiritual

• Members

In this instance, I have to (at this time) agree with Bro. Mike in that the familial is the highest order of God's love and I think his explanation of the parent-child relationship makes the most sense in this regard.

The category of First Love speaks of God's pre-existing stance toward humanity and one that is common to all people. The human parallel would be how we are to love others as we love ourselves (Mark 12:30-31; Luke 10:25-37) regardless of our relationship with them. This involves an active choice to selflessly love someone else based on no inherent merit of the other person.

The category of Family Love is one of relationship which, beyond a willful choice, includes an emotional aspect (see specifically John 16:27; Titus 3:4-7; Rev 3:19) and is unchangingly based in our adoptions as God's children. Since our salvation is eternally secure, this relationship cannot change and thus the amount of love cannot change.

The final category of Fellowship Love does not describe the relationship so much as the activity or proximity of the relationship. It is speaking of how our actions affect our closeness and interaction with God.

Example 1: I live about 4.5 hours from my dad. We have a great relationship and that does not change based on how often we visit one another or talk on the phone. What does change based on those frequencies are the things which we are able to share and enjoy with one another. My brother lives down the street from him, but they interact less frequenty and do not connect in the same ways; however, I guarantee my father does not love me any more or less than my brother. We have different levels of fellowship with him, but not different levels of love.

Example 2: I have two sons. One is about 2 yrs old, the other is 4 months old. My fellowship with the youngest mostly consists of holding and some smile along with a plethora of physically unpleasant activities like being spit-up on and changing dirty diapers. My oldest runs to give me hugs every day, we play with his toy planes, I read him books, we wrestle, etc plus I get the attitude and whinyness of the terrible 2s. The fellowship with my two boys is completely different in both frequency and nature. However, I do not love either one of them differently. The love aspect of our father-son relationships is exactly the same; but that love is expressed differently depending on the type or level of fellowship. Sometimes that love is expressed through joyful hugs and gifts; but sometimes it is expressed through spanking and rebuking. That I spank my 2-yr-old but not my 4-mo-old when they throw a fit does not change my love for either one of them nor does it indicate I love them differently.

Applied to a Christian's father-son relationship with God, his parental love for us is unchanging and unchangeable. Whether we are experience reward and blessing or rebuke and reproof from our heavenly Father, He is still expressing the same fatherly love toward us.

Those are my intial 2 cents of analysis anyway...

• Members

I was thinking about this a few days ago. Isn't what we "love" the same thing as our "treasure"?  What is it that we treasure; God or the things of this world?

Luke 1:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

With that in mind, the Bible says that we are supposed to love our neighbor as our self. Then how much can we love our lost, ungodly neighbor; more than God does? The Bible also says that Jesus "loved" the "rich young ruler" who was a lost man: how much did Jesus love him? The Bible says that "He first loved us". So I wonder if reading following verse, expounded this way, doesn't make sense.........

John 3:16 For God so [treasured] the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The Bible says that God "makes his rain to fall upon the just and the unjust". "Rain", contrary to popular belief, speaks of "blessings" in the Word of God. So God does loving things for all of us, lost and saved, but the lost cannot come to any kind of realization of this, and is incapable of loving God back until they first realize that God first loved them. So, I'm not so sure of any "levels", degrees or limits of God's love at this point. He is, after all, "love".

• Members

Due to various ministry and family responsibilities, I have had and shall yet have only a limited amount of time to engage at present in this discussion.  It was my desire with my next posting to present three additional principles concerning God's love, added to the two principle that I presented in my post #6.  However, due to the lack of time at present, I will be able to present only one of those additional principles in this posting.

Principle #3:  The motivation for God’s first love toward us was not because of anything whatsoever at all about us, but was because of who He is as a God of love.

Romans 5:8 – “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”

Throughout the New Testament God’s first love for us is defined as the sacrifice of God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, for us wicked and condemned sinners.  Now, God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, died for all; therefore, the Lord our God administered His first love through Christ’s sacrificial death upon all.  Yet the Lord our God did not administer this first love upon us sinners because of (for) something about us that attracted His love toward us.  He did not administer this first love upon us sinners because of (for) some element (even of the smallest sort) about us that was worthy of His love.  Indeed, He administered this first love upon us “while we were yet sinners,” while we were yet wicked, offensive abomination in His sight, while we were yet ungodly, unworthy evil in His sight.  No, the Lord our God did not administer His first love upon us because of (for) who we were; for we were wicked, ungodly sinners.  Rather, the Lord our God administered His first love upon us because of who He is; for He is a loving God by His very nature.  God is love; therefore, He administered His first love upon us who were His very enemies.  (Note: In the same manner, the Lord our God commands us believers to administer a type of first love toward our enemies.)

I believe that this Biblical principle answers the first half of the question that I presented in my opening post.  "Does God's Holy Word teach that the Lord our God loves us for who we are . . .?"  No, it does not.  Rather, God's Holy Word teaches that the Lord our God loves all sinners (us included) because of who He is as a God of love.

(Note:  Concerning the comments of the most recent postings, I do indeed have a series of responses; but I do not have the time at present to type them out and post them.  I would ask that you might be patient with me.  Thank you.)

• Members

Due to various ministry and family responsibilities, I have had and shall yet have only a limited amount of time to engage at present in this discussion.  It was my desire with my next posting to present three additional principles concerning God's love, added to the two principle that I presented in my post #6.  However, due to the lack of time at present, I will be able to present only one of those additional principles in this posting.

(Note:  Concerning the comments of the most recent postings, I do indeed have a series of responses; but I do not have the time at present to type them out and post them.  I would ask that you might be patient with me.  Thank you.)

Take your time. Some things are more important and time-sensitive than a discussion board. This forum isn't going anywhere and I know I always appreciate your contributions whenever they come.

• Members

Having a small bit of time this afternoon, I wish to present one more of the final three principles concerning God's love.  

Principle #4:  God’s family love is bestowed upon us only if we place our trust in the Lord Jesus Christ His Son as personal Savior from our sinfulness.  Therefore, if we do not place our trust in Christ as Savior, we will not experience or enjoy this level of God’s love.

John 16:27 – “For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.” 

In John 16:27 our Lord Jesus Christ indicated unto His disciples that God the Father loved them with a fatherly love specifically because they had believed on the Lord Jesus Christ as God the Son who was sent from God the Father to be their Messiah and Savior.  Believing on Christ was the prerequisite through which the Father bestowed His family love upon them.  Indeed, in order to enter into, experience, and enjoy God’s family love, there is something that we must do.  Yea, there is a requirement that we must fulfill.  That requirement is to place our trust in God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, as personal Savior from our sinfulness.  If an individual does not place his or her trust in God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, as personal Savior, then that individual has no part whatsoever in God’s family (fatherly) love.  An unbeliever is excluded from God’s family (fatherly) love and from the family blessings that are bestowed in and by that family love.

So then, in what manner does the Lord our God bestow His family (fatherly) love upon believers?  What are the specific love-benefits that are bestowed upon a believer through the family (fatherly) love of God?

1.  God’s justification – Romans 8:31-33; Ephesians 1:3-4; Titus 3:7

2.  Christ’s intercession – Romans 8:34

3.  Eternal security – Romans 8:35-39

4.  Spiritual regeneration – Ephesians 2:4-5, 10; Titus 3:4-5

5.  Spiritual sonship – Ephesians 2:6-7; Titus 3:7; 1 John 3:1

6.  Assured glorification – Ephesians 5:25-27; 1 John 3:2

7.  Living hope – 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17; Titus 3:7; 1 John 3:3

8.  Eternal salvation – Titus 3:4-5

9.  Divine chastening – Hebrews 12:5-6; Revelation 3:19

10.  Eternal Cleansing – Revelation 1:5

11.  Spiritual exaltation – Revelation 1:6

Archived