• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Marijuana Becomes Legal In Your State...

The Glory Land

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are they going to release all those that are in jail for having using and selling it. The flood gates are open here in the US and there is no where to hide. Can we really say God bless America anymore?

I don't know, maybe. I can tell you this, the sale of Doritos will go through the roof!

• Members

I don't worry about such things. The world will do what it wants. Followers of Christ are called to live for Him in good times, bad times and all things between. I'm not going to smoke the stuff and I'm not going to be around those who are smoking it.

• Members

The use of marijuana is relatively harmless (probably less so than alcohol) and non addictive.  Plus, with it being illegal, and thus "unregulated", it is easier for kids to get their hands on.  They can buy marijuana from a friend at school.  They have to have a photo id showing they are legal to buy alcohol or cigarettes.  So I support the legalization of the herb.

Resources are much better spent fighting substances that are highly harmful and addictive such as meth, cocaine, heroin, etc.  Those cause terrible harm. 

• Members

If I were dying of cancer and it was terminal, I would take MJ for medicinal purposes.  I saw my dad die a horrible death, from bone marrow cancer, for six long years.  He had no appetite and dwindled away to nothing.  He passed away in 1993 at the age of 65.  He took chemotherapy, and it perforated a hole in his stomach. He coughed up blood all over the room he staying in at in my parents house.  My mom called EMS and my two older brothers.  He was hospitalized and went into a coma for three days.  I don't think I would want to die a horrible death that way.    

• Members

If I were dying of cancer and it was terminal, I would take MJ for medicinal purposes.  I saw my dad die a horrible death, from bone marrow cancer, for six long years.  He had no appetite and dwindled away to nothing.  He passed away in 1993 at the age of 65.  He took chemotherapy, and it perforated a hole in his stomach. He coughed up blood all over the room he staying in at in my parents house.  My mom called EMS and my two older brothers.  He was hospitalized and went into a coma for three days.  I don't think I would want to die a horrible death that way.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad CL, that is a terrible way to go :(

• Members

I'm sorry to hear about your dad CL, that is a terrible way to go :(

Thank you, Jeffrey.  It was a long time ago.  My mom just passed away on December 4th, after her body physically shut down.  Both my parents were of sound mind.  She had health problems for several years.  I am so thankful she was saved in 2006.  :)  It is just difficult to watch your parents suffer that way.  Death is a part of life.

• Moderators

The use of marijuana is relatively harmless (probably less so than alcohol) and non addictive.  Plus, with it being illegal, and thus "unregulated", it is easier for kids to get their hands on.  They can buy marijuana from a friend at school.  They have to have a photo id showing they are legal to buy alcohol or cigarettes.  So I support the legalization of the herb.

Resources are much better spent fighting substances that are highly harmful and addictive such as meth, cocaine, heroin, etc.  Those cause terrible harm. 

What they need to do when they legalize it is put protection in place to allow employers to refuse to hire users (it DOES affect production!!).

I've never carried nor accepted applications for employment yet never had problems gaining employees that I wanted.

• Members

KOB - I have seen what dope - not other drugs, but dope alone - can do. It is addictive and it is harmful.

To say its not is feeding off the propaganda of the supporters.

And that is totally aside from its known effects as a "gateway drug" which it undoubtedly is.

• Administrators

I'm just wondering how many folks who say it's relatively harmless or not addictive actually used it...not that I'm searching for confessions of usage because no-one needs to say whether or not they used it. However, I will say that, in my rebellious teen years, I had much experience with a number of things, including marijuana.  I am ashamed at the foolishness of my youth, but am willing to open up about it to express the fact that it is not harmless and it is addictive.  Hashish is the resin from marijuana seeds...it's not harmless, either.

Ever ridden in a car driven by someone high?  I have.  It's not fun or safe.  I've also ridden in cars driven by people in various stages of drunkenness -- no difference in the lack of ability to drive.

Ever had "flashbacks?"  They aren't fun.  And marijuana can cause them - even for light users.

Ever had a best friend murdered?  I have.  And the murderer was high...on marijuana.  Weed distorts the mind in much the same way booze does.  And this murderer laughed while he pounded my best friend's head into the ground.  Tell me again "relatively harmless." Not true. 

For some education information about it, read here:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana

Marijuana also affects brain development, and when it is used heavily by young people, its effects on thinking and memory may last a long time or even be permanent. A recent study of marijuana users who began using in adolescence revealed substantially reduced connectivity among brain areas responsible for learning and memory. And a large long-term study in New Zealand showed that people who began smoking marijuana heavily in their teens lost an average of 8 points in IQ between age 13 and age 38. Importantly, the lost cognitive abilities were not fully restored in those who quit smoking marijuana as adults. Those who started smoking marijuana in adulthood did not show significant IQ declines.

But it's relatively harmless...

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/marijuana-use-and-its-effects

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/marijuana/the-harmful-effects.html

I am not in favor of federal laws against weed growth and selling - other than when it is sold out of state or is brought into the country.  Other than that, it is up to the individual states to decide. Just as WA and CO have decided.  And if we are serious about not having the impact of this drug and others (including alcohol) we need to get busy winning folks to the Lord so they can be delivered from the need to get high.

But there is no doubt that marijuana is harmful and is addictive.

• Members

Flashbacks?  Yikes!  I tried marijuana in college and never liked it.  I don't understand why people like to smoke it.  They make hemp pills for people with terminal cancer.  Although, I didn't know about flashbacks.  That is really scary.   :eek   

• Administrators

Flashbacks?  Yikes!  I tried marijuana in college and never liked it.  I don't understand why people like to smoke it.  They make hemp pills for people with terminal cancer.  Although, I didn't know about flashbacks.  That is really scary.   :eek   

Read the articles I posted.  There's other stuff a lot of people aren't aware of.  

Hemp has its uses, and there is no doubt about it (it makes great rope).  There is no real proof that it helps the pain with cancer.  It cuts down on the pain response, but is that really safe?

Archived