• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I Thought Catholics Didn't Pray To Mary...

TheSword

• Members

Was just going through the news and came across a story (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/29/im-going-to-be-dead-elderly-womans-prayer-answered-when-little-boy-very-literally-saved-her-life/)

One line caught my attention:

Praying incessantly that someone would find her before the cold endangered her life, Onge was in desperate need of assistance.

She said she kept praying to the Blessed Mother and she just kept thinking … if someone doesn’t find me I’m going to be dead

I fail to see how this isn't willful idolatry. It is asking someone other than Jesus/God for divine aide. It sounds more like paganism than it does Christianity. I just don't understand how Catholics can claim to only worship God.

• Moderators

I have friends who are Catholic, and in their understanding, they believe that since Mary and the verious saints are there in Heaven, if they pray to them, they can have more people there in heaven seeking their good to God. It's like, they say, asking a friend or a pastor to pray for you-they figure, well, since Mary is alive in heaven, why not ask HER to pray for you, since she's there and closer to God.

They believe asking her and the saints to pray for them, its the same as my asking you to pray for me, just more effective since they are there. They dont see it as worship. Makes sense in a weird, false way.

• Members

Was just going through the news and came across a story (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/29/im-going-to-be-dead-elderly-womans-prayer-answered-when-little-boy-very-literally-saved-her-life/)

One line caught my attention:

Praying incessantly that someone would find her before the cold endangered her life, Onge was in desperate need of assistance.

She said she kept praying to the Blessed Mother and she just kept thinking … if someone doesn’t find me I’m going to be dead

I fail to see how this isn't willful idolatry. It is asking someone other than Jesus/God for divine aide. It sounds more like paganism than it does Christianity. I just don't understand how Catholics can claim to only worship God.

Mary was the mother of Jesus, the mother of God here on this Earth, They are follow traditions of their parents, They have made her into a mediator to God for us or them self,They believe in the bible and in the trinity. They are not to far from finding the truth in Jesus Christ, like me TGL, was raise Catholic.  :)  then got Saved, Born Again, and Baptized. 

• Members

It seems they think that Mary and the saints are also omnipresent otherwise they couldn't hear prayers from all around the world.

When I worked at a London newspaper that had classified adverts on the front page, there were often ads addressed to the saints.  A common one was "Thanks be so St Jude for favours received."  One person always asked for his to be placed within the first dozen, as he believed the saints didn't read further than that.

• Members

I have friends who are Catholic, and in their understanding, they believe that since Mary and the verious saints are there in Heaven, if they pray to them, they can have more people there in heaven seeking their good to God. It's like, they say, asking a friend or a pastor to pray for you-they figure, well, since Mary is alive in heaven, why not ask HER to pray for you, since she's there and closer to God.

They believe asking her and the saints to pray for them, its the same as my asking you to pray for me, just more effective since they are there. They dont see it as worship. Makes sense in a weird, false way.

I've heard this argument several times and it still doesn't make sense to me. In all of the Marian prayers, and in this example, they're not asking Mary to go talk to God for them, they're asking for her direct intervention. It's like they don't critically think through any of their practices.

• Members

I've heard this argument several times and it still doesn't make sense to me. In all of the Marian prayers, and in this example, they're not asking Mary to go talk to God for them, they're asking for her direct intervention. It's like they don't critically think through any of their practices.

Everyone Loves there Mom my friend..

• Members

Catholics can make all the excuses they want.  They can claim they are only talking to Mary like we talk to each other here on planet Earth.  We know better.  As you so rightly pointed out, they ask her to save them.  Pope John Paul did too when he got shot several years back.

The Bible tells us there is ONE MEDIATOR between God and man.  And Mary is NOT that mediator's name.  We do not even know if she is in Heaven at all.  The Catholics do not know.  They only assume she is.

The Catholic institution is rife with idolatry.  And yes, many Protestant churchgoers and even some Baptist churchgoers do wrongly idolize their pastors.

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The meaning is (I think) that Jesus loves his mom so he will do what she asks so therefore if you really want Jesus to do something have His mother exert a little motherly pressure on Him.

Sorry this sounds very sacreligious but these are not my ideas.  Just trying to say what their ideas might be.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

The meaning is (I think) that Jesus loves his mom so he will do what she asks so therefore if you really want Jesus to do something have His mother exert a little motherly pressure on Him.

Sorry this sounds very sacreligious but these are not my ideas.  Just trying to say what their ideas might be.

God bless,

Larry

Perhaps, but that doesn't make sense in the context of what I said about the prayers being for Mary's intervention or provision rather than to relay a request to Jesus. Anyway, maybe TGL can clarify later.

I'ver certainly heard that argument as well before though. Matthew 12:46-50 makes clear that followers of Jesus have as much or more access to Him than His earthly relatives did just by virtue of being blood-related.

Archived