• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Booklet Tract: So You Want To Practice “Good” Contemplative Prayer . . . What’S Wrong With That?

RSS Robot

• Members

So You Want to Practice “Good” Contemplative Prayer . . . What’s Wrong With That? written by Lynn Lusby Pratt is our newest Lighthouse Trails Print Booklet Tract. The Booklet Tract is 14 pages long and sells for $1.95 for single copies. Quantity discounts are as much as 50% off retail.  Below is the content […]

View the full article

• Moderators

It's the publishing company side - they have to sell their products and deserve to get paid for them. If you're familiar with their blog you'll have a pretty good idea what the tract says. Mom and I have ordered from them before (without knowing the exact content), and really like what we've received.

• Members

Nothing wrong with contemplative prayer unless they start to get all mystical and new age'y then you shouldn't buy it or read it.

I mean I contemplate what I am praying about and think deeply on what I am praying about.  However I will not focus on one word or name or something like that as that is a mantra and we are not to practice that as it is not Biblical.

Prayer should have meaning and be respectful of our Lord and GOD. 

Be very careful of these other forms of contemplative prayer.

• Members

I stick with the scriptural model of meditating upon the Word. Which could be described as "contemplating", or "pondering", or doing some "deep thinking".

The trouble is when folks decide to add some Eastern (or other) mysticism into the mix.

• Members

We should stick firmly to the word of God. It cannot be found anywhere written in Gods word the use of such comtemplative prayer other then the warnings of such. a word or a phrase repeated for ten to twenty minutes to erase one thoughts sounds just like chanting and the use of the occult practices. we have the holly spirit of God that dwells within us. so do we really need man to teach us how to pray ?

• Members

We should stick firmly to the word of God. It cannot be found anywhere written in Gods word the use of such comtemplative prayer other then the warnings of such. a word or a phrase repeated for ten to twenty minutes to erase one thoughts sounds just like chanting and the use of the occult practices. we have the holly spirit of God that dwells within us. so do we really need man to teach us how to pray ?

It would seem that Christ gave the apostles a teaching on prayer and in that model all the elements are THOUGHT out and that would constitute contemplation.  Just look at it,

Mt 6:9 ¶ After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
 11 Give us this day our daily bread.
 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

The RCC has turned this into a repetitive prayer of which Christ denounced.  But look at it these statements in the prayer, they are to address in an order (thought out) and you could go into details (deeper thought) with each verse. 

BTW, Hallowed be thy name was part of the Commandments for all Israel not to take the LORD's name in vain.  so we know by both the Gospel of the Kingdom (being taught at this time by Christ) and this prayer that this is a prayer aimed at a Jewish audience only.  But it has an outline/application for us today.  Interestingly enough Paul never gave an example of prayer but makes mention of prayer in some form in every book he wrote making it an important doctrine.

• Moderators

The problem is that contemplative prayer/lectio divina/centering prayer as it is defined nowadays is nothing like true Biblical meditation.  The modern definition is of a practice that seeks to empty the mind, leaving it open for demonic infiltration (in the lost), and is in direct opposition to the examples of mindful, thoughtful prayer given us in Scripture.  It doesn't work for us to say 'Well, I contemplate on Scripture, therefore I do good contemplative prayer' or what have you. You might know what you mean, but the term has been so co-opted that unknowing Christians (notice that these are not necessarily immature ones) may hear you speaking of contemplative prayer in a positive sense and thus think it's okay - leaving themselves open to be drawn away by the contemplative prayer movement.  I think it is better to avoid the use of terms such as these that can so easily be misunderstood and may lead a brother to stumble - especially in reference to a movement that has so infiltrated modern evangelical Christianity. It is already in most evangelical colleges. We would be fools to think that it must not already be sneaking into fundamentalism. This is an area which we must be educated on so we can be effective watchmen.

Ha. Can you tell I feel rather strongly about this subject? :wink

• Members

Ha. Can you tell I feel rather strongly about this subject? :wink

I will say this demonic/devil infiltration can affect believers.  While they cannot be possessed they can have their minds affected by devils misleading them in doctrines, feelings, thoughts and actions (practices and walk).  the devil lays snares out there and we are to give no place to him if we get involved with this mystical new age contemplative prayer we will give place to the devil willfully of which we are commanded not too.

Archived