• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Noahs Round-A-Boat

ThePilgrim

• Members

Most ancient culture had ark myths.  But they are corruptions of the bible story not the other way round.  Many years ago, I read about the earliest Chinese dynasty that had writing, I think they were called the Shang Dynasty.  The author said in their legend about the deluge the god who recreated the earth was called Nu Wah. (without any comment.) 

The Egyptians had a similar story about Osiris being cast on the sea in a box.

• Members

That's a very good point. As people spread around the world after God scattered them at Babel, they took with them what they knew of God and the accounts they had heard of Him. Off on their own, turned away from God, these stories became corrupted and in some cases specifically redone for purposes of control. This is why there are so many stories from various cultures around the world that share so many similarities. All of these stories harken back to the original, which came from God, yet the unbelieving world wants to claim the writers of the Bible stole ideas from different cultures and repackaged them in their own book; thus making the Bible out to be a collection of stolen, rewritten human tales.

In university I encountered more than a few professors who would make such claims in their lectures. In every case they would select a particular cultural account, claim it was the original (with no proof of such a claim) and then go on to denounce the authors of the Bible as thieves and myth corruptors.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Most ancient culture had ark myths.  But they are corruptions of the bible story not the other way round.  Many years ago, I read about the earliest Chinese dynasty that had writing, I think they were called the Shang Dynasty.  The author said in their legend about the deluge the god who recreated the earth was called Nu Wah. (without any comment.) 

The Egyptians had a similar story about Osiris being cast on the sea in a box.

I remember reading there were over 400 legends. Here's a list of some cultures that have a similar story:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html

Archived