• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Balancing The Christian Life

GraceSaved

• Moderators

I believe in the preserved word but not in the KJVO.  However, if I post scriptures, I will use KJ out of respect for the forum rules.  I usually paraphrase.

That's fine, when I paraphrase or allude to a verse without directly quoting (which I sometimes do) I don't use quotation marks lest someone think it is non-KJ. Just a thought.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Colossians refers to the OT law.  What is legalism today?  Excessive conformity to a religious code that restricts free choice.  Dress, type of music, church activity, spiritual disciplines.  This is just a band-aid and do nothing to attack the real problem of a sinful heart tempted to trust ourselves through laws and rules. We are not subject to fundamental principles.  Christianity is not a list of do's and don'ts.  It is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Mentioning Law doesn't make the context legalism.

Look again at the Context in the AV.

Are you saying you can't read and understand what the AV text says in Colossians Chapter two?

"Dead" is connect to "from the Rudiments" by "with Christ"   Do you not see that Rudiments is mentioned earlier and it is not connect to the OT law but to False religions and beliefs of the world.  It is about not being led astray and while legalism could be used to lead people astray the it was the admixture of their religious culture they were adding to their life in Christ that was the problem that Paul feared.

count how many changes there are in this small set of verse from the AV and these changes alter the meaning and understanding.

• Members

Mentioning Law doesn't make the context legalism.

Look again at the Context in the AV.

Are you saying you can't read and understand what the AV text says in Colossians Chapter two?

"Dead" is connect to "from the Rudiments" by "with Christ"

count how many changes there are in this small set of verse from the AV and these changes alter the meaning and understanding.

Perhaps you could look up the word legalism (laws) and rudiments (fundamental principles).  We are dead to them.

• Members

"Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die:  it shall be, a statue for ever throughout your generations:  And that ye may put difference between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean." ~ Leviticus 10:9-10  

A deep study of the KJV will reveal the other 104 texts that talk about abstaining from wine and strong drink

Actually the verse you stated is a command for the priest not to drink on duty and a deep study in the KJV will reveal that alcohol is a sign of blessing from the Lord; but we have discussed that to death here

The question I would like to ask is, If you are using the KJ or another translation, how is that effecting your walk with Christ?, which will effect your community. I think we miss this sometimes when we get into these debates. 

• Members

It used to be said that the KJV was written in such a way that a 6th grader could understand it. And that was true (actually, younger than that, too).  But with the dumbing down of teaching (not saying you were dumbed down!!!), kids have a struggle understanding what was understood two generations ago by their same-age counterparts.

All of us think and write in a different style than that KJV.  It is a learning process to convert our thought processes to the KJ English.  Hang in there - you've certainly come a long way in your growth process. I really enjoy your posts (and your humor cracks me up!  :icon_smile: ).

I believe what I have read and understood that the Gospel was written so that a plowboy could understand it. 

As some have said, the KJ uses archaic language in that, even in America, we never spoke in an Elizabethan language, look at the Declaration of Independence.If you choose to use the KJ, fine. I think people cross the line to say that it is the only Bible that should be used, it is Bibliolatry in my opinion

• Administrators

I believe what I have read and understood that the Gospel was written so that a plowboy could understand it.
As some have said, the KJ uses archaic language in that, even in America, we never spoke in an Elizabethan language, look at the Declaration of Independence.If you choose to use the KJ, fine. I think people cross the line to say that it is the only Bible that should be used, it is Bibliolatry in my opinion

And you are welcome to that opinion. I don't agree with you because I know I don't worship the Bible. I don't know anyone who does, actually. Believing that God preserved His Word for us and that the penultimate preserved work is the KJB isn't bibliolatry. Mayhap I believe that those who are so quick to accept any version that's modern or "the best scholarship" is versionolatry. Lol - I know that's not a word (but neither was bibliolatry at one time). My point is that anyone can accuse anyone of idolatry...it doesn't make them right. ;-)

When Tyndale had the desire to translate, he wanted even plowboys to be able to read it. But that to which I refer is accurate as well. The KJB may be written in Elizabethan english, but it can be understood. And it used to be understood better and earlier in age than now. But that was back in the days when education was just that:education. Kids have a hard time understanding it now because so many can't even read anything, or at least not much. When children are raised reading the KJV, their thought processes are sharper precisely because of the way it is written. And they understand it earlier than those who weren't raised reading it. The same is true (sharper mental acuity) for those who learn foreign languages or instruments (especially piano) at a young age. It exercises the mind in ways that just normal reading - while great - doesn't. But with the KJV, it isn't just the mind that's exercised. Its the heart and the spirit, too.

• Members

Legalism is adding rules to the gospel in an attempt to stay in God's saving grace or perfect your salvation. This is what the Judaizers were doing to the Galatians.  It has nothing to do with standards, rules, church by-laws, statement of faiths, etc. That's a modern manipulation of the term  by Christians who don't want anyone telling them what to do at all.

• Members

Legalism is adding rules to the gospel in an attempt to stay in God's saving grace or perfect your salvation. This is what the Judaizers were doing to the Galatians. It has nothing to do with standards, rules, church by-laws, statement of faiths, etc. That's a modern manipulation of the term by Christians who don't want anyone telling them what to do at all.

Now that I do agree with!!!!

By the way, some of the words used by the KJV translators were archaic WHEN THEY USED THEM!
But they were masters of language and knew they were the best words to use.......

• Members

And you are welcome to that opinion. I don't agree with you because I know I don't worship the Bible. I don't know anyone who does, actually. Believing that God preserved His Word for us and that the penultimate preserved work is the KJB isn't bibliolatry. Mayhap I believe that those who are so quick to accept any version that's modern or "the best scholarship" is versionolatry. Lol - I know that's not a word (but neither was bibliolatry at one time). My point is that anyone can accuse anyone of idolatry...it doesn't make them right. ;-)

I dont know, do you look around here? Some people are more concerned with Bible translations more than justice, mercy and more important seeing people come to Christ which is our mission

• Members

Legalism is adding rules to the gospel in an attempt to stay in God's saving grace or perfect your salvation. This is what the Judaizers were doing to the Galatians.  It has nothing to do with standards, rules, church by-laws, statement of faiths, etc. That's a modern manipulation of the term  by Christians who don't want anyone telling them what to do at all.

You mean Jesus was wrong for attacking the Pharisees?

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 2 Saying , The scribes and thePharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe , that observe anddo ; but do not ye after their works: for they say , and do not. 4 For they bind heavy burdens andgrievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move themwith one of their fingers.#rl 5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men : they make broadtheir phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 6 And love the uppermost rooms atfeasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called ofmen, Rabbi, Rabbi. 8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all yeare brethren. 9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is inheaven. 10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. 11 But he that isgreatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased ;and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted . 13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees,hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves,neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in . 14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees,hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer : therefore ye shallreceive the greater damnation.#rl 15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for yecompass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made , ye make him twofold morethe child of hell than yourselves.

• Members

Actually the verse you stated is a command for the priest not to drink on duty and a deep study in the KJV will reveal that alcohol is a sign of blessing from the Lord; but we have discussed that to death here

The question I would like to ask is, If you are using the KJ or another translation, how is that effecting your walk with Christ?, which will effect your community. I think we miss this sometimes when we get into these debates. 

Can you be more specific, Jeffrey?  

• Members

Hi AVBibleBeliever. Since you worded that question in such a leading way, I think I'll be the first (perhaps only) on this thread to say that yes, I cannot read and understand the AV text as it stands. I admit that I have always struggled with the AV's sentence constructions and words, and I often have to use a dictionary. Perhaps part of this is owing to unfamiliarity, because I think and write in a different style of English to the AV.

Are you seriously saying you cannot understand Collosians chapter two as written? 

There is no odd sentence structure or words in it.

your reading comprehension must be very low then when you read the NASB it is college level reading while the AV is sixth grade level.

• Members

I have never said it is the only Bible to use or should be used.

• Members

Let me ask this.

Are Christian's to abstain from certain things?

I remember a letter that was sent around that said, Acts 15:28, 29 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;  That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Now is it legalism to abstain from fornication? 

This one of those taste not, touch not, handle not type of instructions and if so the OP would feel that it is and he can go around fornicating with whomever and if he was rebuked he would be quick to call a person a legalist or being legalistic.

Maybe they felt that the person who had his fathers wife was unjustly put out of fellowship because of doing that that was not named even amongst the Gentiles.

I agree above that legalism is adding something to the work of Christ for your salvation and that is what Paul taught.

The context of Collosians has to do with the admixture of the Religious culture of the day to their Christian walk.  Such things were eating meats sacrificed to Idols which included strangled animals, Fornication was part of the religious culture of that day among the heathen, as well as drinking blood.

I always say if your culture agrees with the Bible keep your culture but if it doesn't then you have to get rid of your culture.  Sad thing many throw away the Bible and get a new version that allows them wrongly join the word of truth with their culture

• Members

Are you seriously saying you cannot understand Collosians chapter two as written? 

There is no odd sentence structure or words in it.

your reading comprehension must be very low then when you read the NASB it is college level reading while the AV is sixth grade level.

That's a rather unkind thing to say, not to mention wholly inaccurate. KJV is written at a 12th-grade level, NASB at a 10th-grade level, and NIV at a 7th-grade level according to current academic standards.

Archived