• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Balancing The Christian Life

GraceSaved

• Members

If you meet with a friend and you know that your friend has a standard different to yours, you should abide by his standard for that time.
That doesn't mean you change your standard - you just love him enough not to offend.
I used the example of wearing shorts earlier.
My friend has a conviction that wearing shorts is wrong - if I am meeting with him I will wear jeans or other long pants as appropriate.
If he was to knock on the door right now, he would find me in shorts, and hopefully he would love me enough to accept my standards on shorts.
That doesn't mean that I throw a pair of shorts at him and say "My house, my rules", but hopefully he would accept my shorts wearing at that time.
Next time I knew we were going to meet, I would make sure I was wearing long pants, as usual.

I have my standards, he has his standards.
They are not the same, but we honour each other's convictions and allow each other to hold our standards.
See 1 Cor 10.

Now, if he walks in, sees my shorts, proclaims me to be a wicked backslider and demands I immediately cover my legs or he will never associate with me again..... I would suggest that he is straying somewhat into legalism.

I dont know, if you have ugly legs, he might have a point    

:nuts:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is in line with the Christian life and not a argument against drinking alcoholic beverages.

The only Christians I have known that bring up the issues of Legalism almost always are the ones who have a conviction that it is ok to drink alcoholic beverages.

This now brings my survey to 100% of those who think it is ok to drink alcohol as a Christian bring up issues of legalism.

Most of the verse come from the OT concerning Israel not one of the Christians that feel it is ok to drink alcohol are Jewish.  But I will remind anyone as a Christian if they want to use the OT to justify their alcohol drinking. 

We are told (Duet 29:6) that when Israel was in the wilderness 40 years they did not drink wine or strong drink.  We too as Christians, with the sacrifice of Christ upon us daily, and we have been brought out of Egypt (a type of world), and are in a wandering place not of this world but waiting for God to bring us into our new home in heaven.  Should we not like Israel in her wanderings not drink wine or strong drink?

And we are told no longer to walk as the unsaved (the Gentiles) walk (Eph 4:17).  Even the unsaved doctors say it is ok to drink one glass of beer or wine daily for ones heart or health.  But again that is a way of the Gentiles we are not to walk in.

While I agree that drunkenness is sin and not the drinking of alcohol but where does one draw the line?  For one a glass is already made them drunk and to another it may take five or six.  So where is the line drawn?

I will give some examples as I am sure many here have witnessed.

A Christian brother (a Baptist) who names the Lord walks into a restaurant that has a bar walked up to the bar and ordered a beer.  He believes he has the liberty to drink beer or wine.  He turns and sees another brother eating dinner with his family they don't exercise this same liberty as he.  He walks over to this other brother and his family and starts up a conversation about ministry and how it is going.  This brother and his family are deeply offended at this.  Not to mention the looks from the people who were not saved listening to this supposed born of the Spirit Christian drinking beer and bragging about his ministry.  His excuse was the day was tough and he was waiting for some repair on his vehicle and decided to relax and have a beer.  You see he needed the beer to help him with his tough day and attitude not God.

Another Christian brother (a Baptist) who was teaching pastors in theology who felt we have the liberty to drink beer and string drink.  During his course of teaching these men also taught them it was ok and that they have the liberty to drink beer and strong drink as long as they did not get drunk.  One day he invited them (just the men) over to his home for dinner and gave them all a beer to drink.  He opened his and drank and soon after all of them were drinking beer.  Many of these pastors later backslid into drunkenness and their testimony and ministry was ruined.  All because of Christian Liberty.  BTW, this supposed Baptist came from a Roman Catholic Priesthood.

And lastly,

A Young girl under the drinking age limit was living in another Christian's home (a Baptist) and they drank wine sometimes three times a day with meals and before bed.  One time at the dinner table they mixed wine for them all to drink with dinner. This young girl refused to drink the wine mixture and they began to chide her.  Out of embarrassment she took a sip and immediately she was convicted it was wrong by the Holy Ghost and felt she lost her spirituality she had previously.  She left that very evening and went to her pastor and told her what took place and he helped her through her spiritual dilemma.  However once contacted the Brother who gave the wine to this under aged girl refused to come to talk to the pastor and left the church and went to attend another church.   the young girl and the pastor were both offended.

I choose not to drink for I have the Holy Ghost and do not want to replace Him with another spirit.  why do you think they call alcoholic beverages spirits?

Jesus warned those whom through offences come and that there need be of offences.

Matt 18:7 ¶ Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

Lu 17:1-3 ¶ Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!   It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.  Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

Rom 14:21 [it is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
 Rom 16:17 ¶ Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

The whole church is to mark these that cause offences whether to the saved or unsaved but so much more to the saved, and remove them from fellowship and avoid them and their offensive liberties.

Moreover we do not see Paul ever drinking wine in the Bible and he should be our ensample/example we are told to mark and follow.

Php 3:17 ¶ Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
 2Th 3:9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

Being an ensample to others on chaste and charitable living is our duty that others may follow after our good ensamples.

Go ahead use your liberty but if it offend your brother then it is no longer a liberty but a stumblingblock.

1Cor 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
 Gal 5:13 ¶ For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

• Members

Thanks, I will read it and study it.

Jeffrey, I am in the process of re-reading some material based on the different types of wine in the Bible.  I will be gone all day, and be at church tonight, but I will post my findings tomorrow.  It is a very interesting study that I did many years ago.

• Members

We are told (Duet 29:6) that when Israel was in the wilderness 40 years they did not drink wine or strong drink.  We too as Christians with the sacrifice of Christ upon us daily are in a wandering place not of this world waiting for God to bring us into heaven should like Israel in her wanderings not drink wine or strong drink.

Are you serious?? Their wondering in the desert was a judgment against them, God took away their alcohol because of their hard hearts. You think if they didn't drink for 40 years, God would have gave them an "atta boy"?

Look, Im going to start a thread here soon, when I have time, and I will lay out my view on this and we can stop hijacking GS thread. Sorry bro!, again!

• Members

Are you serious?? Their wondering in the desert was a judgment against them, God took away their alcohol because of their hard hearts. You think if they didn't drink for 40 years, God would have gave them an "atta boy"?

Look, Im going to start a thread here soon, when I have time, and I will lay out my view on this and we can stop hijacking GS thread. Sorry bro!, again!

My friend I am not against you exercising your Liberty to drink. 

And regardless if they were in wandering for their unbelief the example of scripture types can be applied to our lives. 

And my post was about Christian lifestyle or living in and amongst the unsaved and the saved and in this area we should be an ensample to them and not give offences or an occasion to stumble.  If you want your life style to reflect the world than ok but we are told not to be like the world.

• Members

Jeffrey, I am in the process of re-reading some material based on the different types of wine in the Bible.  I will be gone all day, and be at church tonight, but I will post my findings tomorrow.  It is a very interesting study that I did many years ago.

Ok, remember, read the Bible says, not what you were taught or what you think. When I was still in the IFB community, and I held my previous position, I remember somebody told me "You are more influenced over your culture than the Word of God", He was right.

• Members

Ok, remember, read the Bible says, not what you were taught or what you think. When I was still in the IFB community, and I held my previous position, I remember somebody told me "You are more influenced over your culture than the Word of God", He was right.

This study has nothing to do with culture, Jeffrey.  It is a Biblical study that I did years ago, that talks about the different types of wine in scripture.  Not all wine was alcoholic.

I will look for your thread tomorrow on this topic.  :)

• Members

The Biblical standard is not to get drunk.  To abstain or not abstain is an individual's choice.  For me, I leave it alone, but I'm not going to tell someone who chooses to have a glass of wine with their dinner or have a dose of it in cough medicine that they're going to descend into the gutter.

This is where we simply disagree on the interpretation of the standard, likely due to the scope of Biblical material in consideration in this case (we can discuss the interpretation elsewhere as you've repeatedly asked). That you do not agree with my interpretation does not make it legalistic to tell people that Christians should not do X when the subject arises. I agree that we shouldn't be hasseling people who fail to meet the standard and tell them that they'll "descend into the gutter," as you put it. That would be rather unkind and unloving. Certainly failing to meet one standard or another does not negate a person's saving faith and security of salvation because no one will ever live up to all standards in this age. However,it is equally unkind and unloving not to tell a Christian they should or should not do something if they understand the Bible to say the same. In fact, I think it's rather selfish and unloving not to tell someone how to emulate and best represent Christ according to Biblical principles because it says a person values someone else's opinion of them more than he/she value's the other person's relationship with God.

It's incumbent upon all Christians to exhort one another to righteousness (Heb 10:25), which is the essence of a standard. If we can't or don't exhort Christians to God's standards according to Biblical principles then we are essentially saying that everyone's interpretation is fine and they should behave according to their own conscience. However, this is how the Israelites lived in the time of the Judges and that didn't go so well for them (Judges 17:6, 21:25).

To repeat what I said earlier in another way; a Biblical standard is a guide post for a Christ-honoring life, not a stick to beat people into submission.

• Members

This is in line with the Christian life and not a argument against drinking alcoholic beverages.  Your whole post here is an argument about alcohol. 

The only Christians I have known that bring up the issues of Legalism almost always are the ones who have a conviction that it is ok to drink alcoholic beverages.  I initiated this topic with no intentions of discussing alcohol and respectfully asked that the topic be brought up on another thread.

This now brings my survey to 100% of those who think it is ok to drink alcohol as a Christian bring up issues of legalism.  Alcohol.

Most of the verse come from the OT concerning Israel not one of the Christians that feel it is ok to drink alcohol are Jewish.  But I will remind anyone as a Christian if they want to use the OT to justify their alcohol drinking.  Alcohol.

We are told (Duet 29:6) that when Israel was in the wilderness 40 years they did not drink wine or strong drink.  We too as Christians, with the sacrifice of Christ upon us daily, and we have been brought out of Egypt (a type of world), and are in a wandering place not of this world but waiting for God to bring us into our new home in heaven.  Should we not like Israel in her wanderings not drink wine or strong drink?  Again, alcohol.

And we are told no longer to walk as the unsaved (the Gentiles) walk (Eph 4:17).  Even the unsaved doctors say it is ok to drink one glass of beer or wine daily for ones heart or health.  But again that is a way of the Gentiles we are not to walk in.  More alcohol.

While I agree that drunkenness is sin and not the drinking of alcohol but where does one draw the line?  For one a glass is already made them drunk and to another it may take five or six.  So where is the line drawn?  Alcohol.

I will give some examples as I am sure many here have witnessed.

A Christian brother (a Baptist) who names the Lord walks into a restaurant that has a bar walked up to the bar and ordered a beer.  (Alcohol) He believes he has the liberty to drink beer or wine.  He turns and sees another brother eating dinner with his family they don't exercise this same liberty as he.  He walks over to this other brother and his family and starts up a conversation about ministry and how it is going.  This brother and his family are deeply offended at this.  Not to mention the looks from the people who were not saved listening to this supposed born of the Spirit Christian drinking beer and bragging about his ministry.  His excuse was the day was tough and he was waiting for some repair on his vehicle and decided to relax and have a beer.  You see he needed the beer to help him with his tough day and attitude not God.

Another Christian brother (a Baptist) who was teaching pastors in theology who felt we have the liberty to drink beer and string drink.  During his course of teaching these men also taught them it was ok and that they have the liberty to drink beer and strong drink as long as they did not get drunk.  One day he invited them (just the men) over to his home for dinner and gave them all a beer to drink.  He opened his and drank and soon after all of them were drinking beer.  Many of these pastors later backslid into drunkenness and their testimony and ministry was ruined.  All because of Christian Liberty.  BTW, this supposed Baptist came from a Roman Catholic Priesthood. Alcohol

And lastly,

A Young girl under the drinking age limit was living in another Christian's home (a Baptist) and they drank wine sometimes three times a day with meals and before bed.  One time at the dinner table they mixed wine for them all to drink with dinner. This young girl refused to drink the wine mixture and they began to chide her.  Out of embarrassment she took a sip and immediately she was convicted it was wrong by the Holy Ghost and felt she lost her spirituality she had previously.  She left that very evening and went to her pastor and told her what took place and he helped her through her spiritual dilemma.  However once contacted the Brother who gave the wine to this under aged girl refused to come to talk to the pastor and left the church and went to attend another church.   the young girl and the pastor were both offended. Alcohol

I choose not to drink for I have the Holy Ghost and do not want to replace Him with another spirit.  why do you think they call alcoholic beverages spirits?  Alcohol

Jesus warned those whom through offences come and that there need be of offences.

Matt 18:7 ¶ Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

Lu 17:1-3 ¶ Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!   It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.  Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

Rom 14:21 [it is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
 Rom 16:17 ¶ Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

The whole church is to mark these that cause offences whether to the saved or unsaved but so much more to the saved, and remove them from fellowship and avoid them and their offensive liberties.

Moreover we do not see Paul ever drinking wine in the Bible and he should be our ensample/example we are told to mark and follow.  Alcohol

Php 3:17 ¶ Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
 2Th 3:9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

Being an ensample to others on chaste and charitable living is our duty that others may follow after our good ensamples.

Go ahead use your liberty but if it offend your brother then it is no longer a liberty but a stumblingblock.

1Cor 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
 Gal 5:13 ¶ For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Please discuss in another thread.

• Administrators

Okay - it's been asked, and asked again...and again...I realize that alcohol would fall under the topic of balance in the Christian life.  But. The originator of the this thread has asked more than once to not turn this thread into a discussion on alcohol.  As he stated, many people are very passionate about whichever way they lean, and so the very thought behind this thread will be lost if it continues in this direction.  Jeffery has said he will start a thread detailing his thoughts about it. Now we need to wait til he does (if he hasn't already - this is the first thread I've seen this morning).  And then respond.  Keep alcohol out of this thread from here on. Thank you (although I just couldn't resist this: see how much trouble alcohol causes. :smug: ).

• Moderators

Happy Christian beat me to the punch!  :boxing:

I'd like to add that some of the attitudes displayed on this thread are neither kind nor Christ-like. Disagreements are fine, but the personal and ad hominem attacks need to stop. Just because someone gets a different interpretation than yourself from the Scriptures do not mean that they do not read the Scriptures.

• Members

This is where we simply disagree on the interpretation of the standard, likely due to the scope of Biblical material in consideration in this case (we can discuss the interpretation elsewhere as you've repeatedly asked). That you do not agree with my interpretation does not make it legalistic to tell people that Christians should not do X when the subject arises. I agree that we shouldn't be hasseling people who fail to meet the standard and tell them that they'll "descend into the gutter," as you put it. That would be rather unkind and unloving. Certainly failing to meet one standard or another does not negate a person's saving faith and security of salvation because no one will ever live up to all standards in this age. However,it is equally unkind and unloving not to tell a Christian they should or should not do something if they understand the Bible to say the same. In fact, I think it's rather selfish and unloving not to tell someone how to emulate and best represent Christ according to Biblical principles because it says a person values someone else's opinion of them more than he/she value's the other person's relationship with God.

It's incumbent upon all Christians to exhort one another to righteousness (Heb 10:25), which is the essence of a standard. If we can't or don't exhort Christians to God's standards according to Biblical principles then we are essentially saying that everyone's interpretation is fine and they should behave according to their own conscience. However, this is how the Israelites lived in the time of the Judges and that didn't go so well for them (Judges 17:6, 21:25).

To repeat what I said earlier in another way; a Biblical standard is a guide post for a Christ-honoring life, not a stick to beat people into submission.

It's not legalism to disagree.  I don't drink so it's not really an issue for me and don't feel it necessary to discuss in length.  For those who want to can.  How far do we go on a forum to exhort without truly knowing one another or having a personal relationship and not knowing each other's histories and backgrounds before it really ends up becoming who's right and who's wrong?

• Members

I look forward to your explanation brother Carl.

Hi AVBB, very sorry for not attending to this yet. I've been getting back so late from work I've just been going to bed! It's definitely something I would like to do, though, as I think there's a good discussion to be had about it and so I will as soon as I can. If the thread gets locked in the meantime because of excessive alcohol-related discussion, I'll start a new one!

Archived