• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Balancing The Christian Life

GraceSaved

• Members

That's a rather unkind thing to say, not to mention wholly inaccurate. KJV is written at a 12th-grade level, NASB at a 10th-grade level, and NIV at a 7th-grade level according to current academic standards.

I think you have your stats wrong about the AV being 12th grade.  Gale Riplinger already did a study on it and proved it is 6th grade.  most of the words are no more that two syllables and they are very simple wording.  NASB was proven to be second year college most the words are two and three syllables and the use of more complicated English words were used.  The NIV well you would have to tell us which one seeing there are now 5 different translations. the NIV is not a word for word but a dynamic equivalent using a uper high school level wording.

Most of this study can be found by Riplinger and others, and Brandplucked did some studies on it as well that can be found on his site.

And My statement was not unkiind he either didn't read the text or was being disingenuous in his statements. It is one of the easest chapters to read and understand.  some of the hardest words would have been beholding, steadfastness, and rudiments and if anyone reading this post would say these are hard to understand or read is a not being truthful.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Legalism should not be confused with standards.  Christians are to have standards to live by.  Legalism and standards mean two different things.

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people (God's own); that ye should shew (show) forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:  10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God:  which had not obtained mercy, but have obtained mercy.  11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts (desires), which war against the soul." ~ I Peter 2:9-11

• Members

I think you have your stats wrong about the AV being 12th grade.  Gale Riplinger already did a study on it and proved it is 6th grade.  most of the words are no more that two syllables and they are very simple wording.  NASB was proven to be second year college most the words are two and three syllables and the use of more complicated English words were used.  The NIV well you would have to tell us which one seeing there are now 5 different translations. the NIV is not a word for word but a dynamic equivalent using a uper high school level wording.

Most of this study can be found by Riplinger and others, and Brandplucked did some studies on it as well that can be found on his site.

And My statement was not unkiind he either didn't read the text or was being disingenuous in his statements. It is one of the easest chapters to read and understand.  some of the hardest words would have been beholding, steadfastness, and rudiments and if anyone reading this post would say these are hard to understand or read is a not being truthful.

Well...I suppose the other 99% of people who have done similar studies on reading level must be wrong then. There's much more to reading levels than the number of syllables like word choice, sentence structure, syntax. I'm familiar with Riplinger's work and find it to be academically lacking and could list several people of equal or greater scholastic standing who disagree with her conclusions. I flatly disagree with you on this particular issue.

Additionally, ease of understanding is entirely subjective. What's clear to you may not be clear to someone else. Who are you to tell someone what is and is not easy for them to understand? That kind of arrogance is what shuts people off to KJVO advocates. It's one thing to help people grasp the language use in the KJV so that it becomes easier for them but it's entirely different and presumptuous to declare someone stupid or a liar because they struggle with reading something rather than give them the benefit of the doubt. That's why I say it was unkind.

• Moderators

Not necessarily so (the phrase I highlighted in red), let me give you the case of 3 high school graduates I've known personally who would fit this category.

1) From Nevada: female, electrician's helper, around 2002. She thought the 'E' in Queen Anne furniture or in Wilde Lake Rd. was to be pronounced. She did not know what "asine", "protracted" or "definitive" meant.

2) From Texas: male, active duty Navy, around 1993. He spelled "the" thu, He didn't know what "delegate" or "archaic" meant.

3) From Massachusetts: male, during the 1980's. He and the girl he was with (now his wife) got saved and in the next week's sermon heard the word "fornication" for the first time in his life. As the message progress he realized what it was (he had wondered if it was some kind of skin disease) and turns to her and says, "What, that's us!" (yes, in the middle of the message -- gotta love new Christians). 

Yes, all high school grads -- all possessing a vocabulary (at that time) which barely exceeded profanity, "dude", "like rad", "hater", and other primarily monosyllabic words of 1-5 (on rare occasion 6) letters

• Members

Legalism is adding rules to the gospel in an attempt to stay in God's saving grace or perfect your salvation. This is what the Judaizers were doing to the Galatians.  It has nothing to do with standards, rules, church by-laws, statement of faiths, etc. That's a modern manipulation of the term  by Christians who don't want anyone telling them what to do at all.

I believe that is stated in the first sentence of original post.  :-)

• Administrators

I dont know, do you look around here? Some people are more concerned with Bible translations more than justice, mercy and more important seeing people come to Christ which is our mission

I have noticed that a few people do seem to have a problem understanding that, upon joining the forum, the Bible we quote here is the KJV. But, no , I havent noticed a lack of concern for the other things you mentioned - and I've been here a good while...Seeing people come to Christ isn't all we are to do.

• Members

Many years ago the KJB was considered 8th grade level, but that was back when they still actually educated children and expected them to learn. By todays standards the KJB has been moved to the 12th grade level with some now beginning to say it's college level; along with the works of Shakespeare and some others.

I graduated high school in 1981 and at least a half dozen students could read between the barely functional and about a 5th or 6th grade level.

Many times today it's much worse; which is why most colleges have remedial reading programs (along with many other classes to try and catch students up to the high school level).

Many high school graduates today can barely read, write and spell; have little mathematical skills and are almost totally ignorant of history or even current affairs.

That's a problem of failure to educate students (and in some cases of students failure to put any effort into learning), not a problem with the KJB.

Other than people with cognitive impairments, I've not known anyone who really tried to learn to read and understand the KJB who couldn't do so.

An important point we should keep in mind is the necessity of help from the Holy Ghost to truly understand the Word of God. If one doesn't have the Holy Ghost or simply ignores the Holy Ghost and tries to do it all on their own, they will fail.

• Members

Can you be more specific, Jeffrey?  

How is the Gospel effecting you and your neighbors? is it making a difference? I know Christians who don't know their neighbors, don't interact with their community and rather hide from community/culture rather than engage it. You can do that with the KJV, NIV ESV 

• Members

I always say if your culture agrees with the Bible keep your culture but if it doesn't then you have to get rid of your culture.  Sad thing many throw away the Bible and get a new version that allows them wrongly join the word of truth with their culture

Culture is what it is, a culture have their own nuances. some may or not be sinful compared to other cultures, alcohol for one. most cultures, it's just alcohol. In Muslim and IFB circles, its sin.

• Members

I live in a small town so everyone knows everyone else and knows their "religious" standing.

One of my neighbors attends the same church we do, another attends a different church, three other neighbors have their own religious ideas and are not interested in hearing from others about it. Out of all my neighbors, two and possibly three are saved.

As James said we should be, we are doers of the Word, not hearers only. Our faith isn't confined to the internet or the inside of our church.

• Members

er

How is the Gospel effecting you and your neighbors? is it making a difference? I know Christians who don't know their neighbors, don't interact with their community and rather hide from community/culture rather than engage it. You can do that with the KJV, NIV ESV 

I take the Word of God to people in my area.  I have witnessed to my neighbors, so I am pretty sure that they know I am a Bible believing Christian.  We have lived in my home for four years.  One of my next door neighbors, might be convicted, b/c she hides from me.  The first year I moved in, she was very friendly, however, I shared the Word of God with her and she ignores me now.  I have shared God's Word with the other next door neighbor and she speaks with me.  Actually, she is quite open to hearing God's Word.  When I go about town, I witness every chance I get.  I leave gospel tracts, but the Lord also gives me many opportunities to share God's Word and my testimony with other people.  As a church, we went door knocking, in my town last summer.  My pastor got a call from the city saying that a neighbor complained.  We are working to get that resolved by an IFB attorney, as we believe it is Satan that doesn't want us in the community.  People in my town are hungry for the Word of God.  I see it everyday.

• Members

I believe in the preserved word but not in the KJVO.  However, if I post scriptures, I will use KJ out of respect for the forum rules.  I usually paraphrase.

Paraphrase: Is that what God says: along with what man says; that God meant to say??

• Members

It hasn't been proven in any other post that the KJV is the only Bible we should use.

Post #14:

GraceSaved, just a note from the Online Baptist rules: 3) Feel free to quote the Bible, if you do we ask that you use the KJV. This is done to avoid confusion.

The Administrators and Moderators of this site believe that the KJV is Gods preserved Word for the English speaking people, and we ask that you respect that and use the KJV when quoting scripture.

Archived