• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Testament Or New Covenant?

candlelight

• Members

This is a continuation of another thread, awhile back that I couldn't find, where the New Covenant was mentioned, as opposed to New Testament.  Someone posted that the New Covenant is a Modern Version (MV) translation.  I agree with that.  I cannot find the New Covenant in my KJV.  Why is it that the New Covenant is mentioned so much instead of the New Testament?  I am confused.  I always believed it was the New Testament.  And, since God isn't done with the Jews, as some would think, following the deceitful doctrine of Replacement Theology, will they receive the New Covenant in the Great Tribulation?  In other words, where does the New Covenant play into factor?  The first I have heard of it was on OB.  Any input on this would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  :)    

• Members

The terms are basically interchangeable. God established the Old Covenant, also known as the Old Testament, and said it was only temporary. Through Christ, God established the New Covenant, also known as the New Testament, just as He promised throughout the books of the OT.

Some use the term covenant in order to be more clear in that it's a covenant relationship as some people better understand that than they do the term testament.

Interestingly, while the KJB uses Testament as introduction to the Old and New, the word testament isn't found within the Old Testament but the word covenant is; and it's found in most of the OT books.

• Members

The terms are basically interchangeable. God established the Old Covenant, also known as the Old Testament, and said it was only temporary. Through Christ, God established the New Covenant, also known as the New Testament, just as He promised throughout the books of the OT.

Some use the term covenant in order to be more clear in that it's a covenant relationship as some people better understand that than they do the term testament.

Interestingly, while the KJB uses Testament as introduction to the Old and New, the word testament isn't found within the Old Testament but the word covenant is; and it's found in most of the OT books.

I see that.  I know about the Old Covenant as being temporary.  Interesting.  Thanks, John.

• Members

Yes and no. We got "Testament" from the Latin attempt to translate the Greek word for "Covenant". English retained the transliteration from Latin because it was the long-held familiar term. διαθήκην (diatheken) > testamentum > testament.

In terms of how we think of them in terms of New/Old Covenant/Testament, it is essentially the same thing. However, testament shouldn't be thought of in modern English terms of a will, some type of lawful bequeathing, or testimony. So mostly yes, slightly no.

• Moderators

Yes and no. We got "Testament" from the Latin attempt to translate the Greek word for "Covenant". English retained the transliteration from Latin because it was the long-held familiar term. διαθήκην (diatheken) > testamentum > testament.

In terms of how we think of them in terms of New/Old Covenant/Testament, it is essentially the same thing. However, testament shouldn't be thought of in modern English terms of a will, some type of lawful bequeathing, or testimony.

However:  Heb 9:16-17  For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. 

• Members

However:  Heb 9:16-17  For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth. 

True, that's a good catch; but the substance of the covenant/testament is still the same. I understand this passage merely to qualify its efficacy in terms of the state of the one who recieved the covenant/testament. The covenenat goes into full force (or effect) once the person is dead. In terms of the New Covenant this makes sense in that the full effect of salvation happens when we arrive in heaven instead of hell. The covenant is then complete.

• Members

True, that's a good catch; but the substance of the covenant/testament is still the same. I understand this passage merely to qualify its efficacy in terms of the state of the one who recieved the covenant/testament. The covenenat goes into full force (or effect) once the person is dead. In terms of the New Covenant this makes sense in that the full effect of salvation happens when we arrive in heaven instead of hell. The covenant is then complete.

a last testament is not in affect until after the death of the one who made the Testament he is called a testator.  These legal terms are still used to day modified when we do say last will and Testament.  the will and the testament are two differnt things.  The writer of Hebrews knew something of the law.  things that are different are not the same.

There is a difference between Covenant and Testament that is why it is different in the English.  Unless some of you have proof that the AV Translators left it trtansliterated from latin instead of translating it from the Greek as to why it is the English word testament your statement is moot and without proof.

Again either you beleive that GOD preserved his word or you don't.  If you have to run to and fro to the Greek and Hebrew to change words in the English it would seem you don't truly believe that God preserved his word.

a testament is also known as a testimony, a testament is the written record of the testamony in old law terms.  These terms are not used much any more seeing they like many Bibles are brought down to modern speech.

• Members

a last testament is not in affect until after the death of the one who made the Testament he is called a testator.  These legal terms are still used to day modified when we do say last will and Testament.  the will and the testament are two differnt things.  The writer of Hebrews knew something of the law.  things that are different are not the same.

There is a difference between Covenant and Testament that is why it is different in the English.  Unless some of you have proof that the AV Translators left it trtansliterated from latin instead of translating it from the Greek as to why it is the English word testament your statement is moot and without proof.

Again either you beleive that GOD preserved his word or you don't.  If you have to run to and fro to the Greek and Hebrew to change words in the English it would seem you don't truly believe that God preserved his word.

a testament is also known as a testimony, a testament is the written record of the testamony in old law terms.  These terms are not used much any more seeing they like many Bibles are brought down to modern speech.

I think you're misunderstading what I'm saying. I fully agree that "testament" fits the meaning of the word accurately, particularly as it was used in the 17th century when the AV was translated. However, in the 400 years since it has taken on additional meanings and usages. I believe you allude to this in you last sentence. My only point was that when considering "testament" in a Biblical context we shouldn't read in some of the modern concepts into it.

• Members

Came across this statement; for what its worth.

"A covenant is an agreement between two living parties, as in a marriage covenant, while a testament concerns the disposition of property and favours after one's death, as, for example, in "last will and testament".

• Members

Came across this statement; for what its worth.

"A covenant is an agreement between two living parties, as in a marriage covenant, while a testament concerns the disposition of property and favours after one's death, as, for example, in "last will and testament".

Thanks, BroK.  I was getting confused.  I can understand this.   :yeah:

Archived