• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

The Glory Land

A Church Closes Then Sold Who Gets The Money?

Yes,  we have tried to help her as much as possible also because our Pastor was paid very little when he was there.  Myself and another member (on the board, Usher, Secretary and Treasurer) handled just about all function not once but twice in the last 10 yrs we were without a pastor for over a year at a time.  It is God's will that it stayed open and he provided what we need to stay a float.  We were still able to keep open our Food Pantry and a few other sacrifices of love for others.  We tried but this season is over and it make us very sad.  Now if we can just get help to figured out how to go about all this selling stuff that would be a big relief.  Thanks for the comments!

Salyan,  you are correct,  It is very much a process and can be expensive.  We were never able to do it.  I guess we were just non -profit. 

39 minutes ago, Carol Concerns said:

Salyan, you are correct,  It is very much a process and can be expensive.  We were never able to do it.  I guess we were just non -profit. 

In most places, even non-profits have to be incorporated.  If you can find an incorporation certificate, that might confirm it. Otherwise, you could try calling your state/county office responsible for non-profit/society/church registrations, and see if you can find out exactly what kind of organization your church is registered as. They would probably be able to direct you to appropriate Acts or statutes that govern what to do in this situation. Combining that with Jim's suggestion of finding out who holds the mortgage should give you a pretty good start!  

If you're closing down, and the widow needs support, are you considering giving her some of the proceeds (if you're legally allowed to sell them)?

32 minutes ago, Shoostie said:

You old hag,  you're wrong.   And, it looks like all the regular hateful IBF morons are as ignorant as you are, as none of them have corrected you.  I'm not going to correct you because 1) You love being ignorant.  2) You're pig who has disinvited me from sharing any knowledge with you.

Oh dear...

The countdown has begun...

14 minutes ago, Shoostie said:

The countdown was already started.

I think that may very well be the closest you've come to saying something that is founded upon truth.

...but then again...what do I know? Usn's elderly folks' minds tend to not be very sound'n stuff...

19 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I think that may very well be the closest you've come to saying something that is founded upon truth.

...but then again...what do I know? Usn's elderly folks' minds tend to not be very sound'n stuff...

Your mama told me that she regrets not throwing you back into the toilet when you were little.

And  another one bites the dust. It just amazes m that there  are people like this that will continually register on forums that they know will not put up with their foolishness. Life for a contrarian such as this fellow must be extremely stressful and depressing. 

As for the 501c3, no, a church is not 501c3 unless they apply and pay for it, and it always comes with government strings. However, the IRS has a code, 508c1a, which states essentially that a church/religious organization is recognized as tax excepted; no need to ask or apply for it, and it comes without strings. The main difference is that the IRS can refuse to give a reimbursement on giving to it, but I always wondered why we give to God's work, then expect Uncle Sam to give us some back.