• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cops Bloody Old Man — For Jaywalking

ThePilgrim

• Members

I remember argueing 50 years ago that the police could shoot you for no reason at all and get away with it because of their escalation of an event.  Here is an example of how that can happen.  Although this example did not end in a shooting it didn't stop far short of it.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/19/cops-beat-elderly-man-after-he-jaywalked/

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Such is actually rather common and seems to be getting worse.

I think it was St. Louis where five big cops claimed they couldn't arrest a 90-some pound teen without using force that led to the teens death.

Raids are conducted around the country where innocent families are terrorized, often brutalized and sometimes killed, all because of false tips, bad information and mistakes in addresses.

Meanwhile, many people are severely injured or killed each year by cops who are quick to zap folks with stun guns when those weapons are supposedly only to be used in cases where lethal force would otherwise be needed.

Elderly folks are slammed to the ground by cops in the same manner the cops use on hardened gang members.

The general public seems blind to these things, thanks in part to an often complicit media, and the false idea that just because someone is wearing a uniform that means they are better than others.

• Members

Meanwhile, many people are severely injured or killed each year by cops who are quick to zap folks with stun guns when those weapons are supposedly only to be used in cases where lethal force would otherwise be needed.

Elderly folks are slammed to the ground by cops in the same manner the cops use on hardened gang members.

YES I agree but want to add that crimes are getting worse in magnitude and frequency in a lot of areas.  I would not want to be part of a police force that has to decide in a split second what kind of criminal is before them, what weapon(s) they have and if the person will attempt to hurt or kill them or others in the vicinity.  

The press's slanted TV coverage, often of mishaps of policemen or criminal situations gone bad, does not help either.

• Members

I think it was St. Louis where five big cops claimed they couldn't arrest a 90-some pound teen without using force that led to the teens death.

Raids are conducted around the country where innocent families are terrorized, often brutalized and sometimes killed, all because of false tips, bad information and mistakes in addresses.

The general public seems blind to these things, thanks in part to an often complicit media, and the false idea that just because someone is wearing a uniform that means they are better than others.

Did you see those cops that got off after beating to death that homeless man who suffered from schizophrenia? They all got fired (along with most of the city council for covering it up) but the jury let them walk. If you've seen the video the cop tells him that he was going to beat the blank out of him while putting on his gloves. 

• Members

No doubt there are cases where it might be difficult for a cop to quickly and accurately access a threat level, but if a cop can't recognize the threat level of an 80 year old man jaywalking as being less than a street thug, and can't tell the difference between a language barrier and willful disobedience, and can't restrain an 80 year old man without harmful violence, they shouldn't be a cop.

• Members

No doubt there are cases where it might be difficult for a cop to quickly and accurately access a threat level, but if a cop can't recognize the threat level of an 80 year old man jaywalking as being less than a street thug, and can't tell the difference between a language barrier and willful disobedience, and can't restrain an 80 year old man without harmful violence, they shouldn't be a cop.

The influence of alcohol and drugs (many and plenty today) make this assessment much worse.  I have been on squad calls and seen first hand the strength and mind-frame one could have when intoxicated with something which alters mood and conscience.  Yes willful disobedience is very strong today as well.  The drug users and abusers of yesterday are now older citizens as well.  Older age does not always indicate who is doing what.  I have seen/experienced enough to know I would not want the job of a policeman, especially in a large metropolitan area that has high crimes and gangs.

But yes, there can be bad apples in the bunch who use extreme force in police-work as well as any other profession.

Archived