• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

If All The Republicans Have Is Rubio And Christie...

The Glory Land

• Members

God also didn't call us to be bricklayers, and lawyers, and schoolteachers. ...

The other things of life are to be done with the Great Commission in mind, but life goes on and we must live it.
When these other pursuits - whatever they may be - begin to affect our love for the Lord, they become wrong, but many are not wrong in themselves. ( there are plenty of things that we are to avoid of course).
Even getting upset because others are interested in politics can draw us away from loving the Lord, just as being wrapped up in politics can draw us away.

I personally think we need more real saved people involved in politics - but they need to be focussed on the Lord first and foremost.

Be the best politician they can be for the Lord.
Of course that kind of person rarely lasts long in the corrupt world of politics.........

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Our country was not founded as a theocracy, nor do laws that abide by scripture make it so. Our founding documents were written for a moral and religious people, but were written in such a way that would, if followed, protect people from an overreaching government...and this would include religious liberty (which, by the way was encouraged by the Baptists of the day).

Back when the people of this country were more moral - even the lost - they knew certain things were wrong. State laws regarding things like sodomy, abortion, incest, pedophilia, etc. were a protection to the individual of that state and were approved by most people. Again, even the lost. There was no outcry that anyone was trying to force others to abide by the Bible. It was common knowledge that a moral society was a flourishing society.

Enter the idea that there should be no constraints...and chaos has grown. Sadly, churches have contributed to this by changing with the culture, rather than changing the culture.

Yes, we are to win souls and disciple people. But our responsibility does not end there. Sadly, too many people have bought the lie that it does. And we can see all around us the results. Less Christianity, more world. Less liberty, more chains.

Good laws keep crime in check. Good citizens make sure good laws are passed....and in this country, keep the lawmakers in check.

We aren't doing our job - as soulwinners or as citizens.

• Members

The other things of life are to be done with the Great Commission in mind, but life goes on and we must live it.
When these other pursuits - whatever they may be - begin to affect our love for the Lord, they become wrong, but many are not wrong in themselves. ( there are plenty of things that we are to avoid of course).
Even getting upset because others are interested in politics can draw us away from loving the Lord, just as being wrapped up in politics can draw us away.

I personally think we need more real saved people involved in politics - but they need to be focussed on the Lord first and foremost.

Be the best politician they can be for the Lord.
Of course that kind of person rarely lasts long in the corrupt world of politics.........

But you know they will still govern unsaved people right?

• Members

My point is that politics is just as relevant for Christians as any other part of life - but as with every other part of life, it must be done to God's glory.

Those who say politics is evil and should be avoided by Christians are just wrong.
But involvement (as with every aspect of life) should be in a Godly fashion.

• Members

Back when the people of this country were more moral - even the lost - they knew certain things were wrong. State laws regarding things like sodomy, abortion, incest, pedophilia, etc. were a protection to the individual of that state and were approved by most people. Again, even the lost. There was no outcry that anyone was trying to force others to abide by the Bible. It was common knowledge that a moral society was a flourishing society.

Wow, must have been a great time to be alive, no sin everybody walking around so high minded and moral, let's see.....

Slavery and racism, No interracial marriage if one so chose......( I have found severe racism in the IFB)

No woman's rights, you cant vote, if your husband beat you you had no recourse or protection from an abusive husband,...

You could not vote if you were not; white, a land owner or a male,....

Child labour laws were not existent, you could work kids for little or no money,......

Yep, really morale people back then

• Members

Wow, must have been a great time to be alive, no sin everybody walking around so high minded and moral, let's see.....
Slavery and racism, No interracial marriage if one so chose......( I have found severe racism in the IFB)
No woman's rights, you cant vote, if your husband beat you you had no recourse or protection from an abusive husband,...
Child labour laws were not existent, you could work kids for little or no money,......

Don't forget the gays, they were locked in the closets. They are free now.

• Members

Those who say politics is evil and should be avoided by Christians are just wrong.

Perhaps it is my background that causes me to have the opinion that I do about Christians who are too spiritual to be concerned about their country, but I do not believe that they have any idea what it is like to live under a government that is antagonistic and oppressive to religious freedom. If they did, they would not be so eager to forfeit, through laziness disguised as righteousness, the blessing of the level of freedom that is here in the U.S.

They want the freedom without the effort to preserve it.

• Administrators

Yeah, that's what I said, wasn't it. No one sinned back then. Baruther. You certainly have a knack for turning what someone says into something totally different.

Yes, even with the problems that existed back then, the majority - including the lost - were more moral. Your sarcasm doesn't change that.

FWIW, I agree with the idea of only landholders being allowed to vote - at least on property tax issues. Folks that dont own property have no business voting on whether or not those who do should pay taxes on it. And I believed that before I owned any property.

I have no problem with the fact that women didnt have the vote back then. There was less pandering to emotions by politicians then, too. I do vote - and not from emotional appeal, either - because the Constitution was amended to allow it and so I should, as a citizen, participate. However, we vote as a team. I will not vote differently from my hubby because we are one. Its nice that we agree, though. :-D

As to slavery, many of the founders had them - and abhorred the culture that created slavery (in existence before America was founded, and continuing around the world today). It was not an issue to be handled by the federal government, but rightly by the states. And it was happening. But there are always troublemakers and bigots who love stirring up strife. That was manifest in much of the issue. And then Lincoln overrode the Constitution to impose federal power on the states. The feds had constitutional authority to stop the import of slaves into the country or from state to state. But not anything else. But that is another whole thread.

Oh- and racism is not confined to IFB. I've met people from all stripes who are racist - all over this country, lost and saved, black, white, and yellow. That comment was not necessary to make, in all honesty. Let's not turn a discussion into an attack.

There is no denying that some things have improved (like child labor laws and domestic violence laws, etc), but it is a fact that the people of our founding time were, on average, more moral. Sarcasm notwithstanding.

I don't mind having a discussion wherein we disagree. But don't misrepresent what I say. Thanks.

• Members

It appears to me that you are trying find things to be offended over.

I see no reason for your sarcastic response to Happy.....

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was just pointing out her flawed logic, she actually said "Back when the people of this country were more moral - even the lost - they knew certain things were wrong."  but yet the things I pointed out, then I'm the bad guy?Sin is sin, and trying to look back on the good ole' days and say we need to get back there is wrong. Things weren't better, just different. There were gays then and even before that, there are other things, as the body of Christ we should be worried about, Love, grace community, these were the things Jesus commanded us to do. When did Jesus command us to take over governments or establish laws?

• Members

Yeah, that's what I said, wasn't it. No one sinned back then. Baruther. You certainly have a knack for turning what someone says into something totally different.

see post above, your words, not mine

FWIW, I agree with the idea of only landholders being allowed to vote - at least on property tax issues. Folks that dont own property have no business voting on whether or not those who do should pay taxes on it. And I believed that before I owned any property.

you do realize that non property owners still pay taxes too right? (sales tax, vehicle, etc)

As to slavery, many of the founders had them - and abhorred the culture that created slavery (in existence before America was founded, and continuing around the world today). It was not an issue to be handled by the federal government, but rightly by the states. And it was happening. But there are always troublemakers and bigots who love stirring up strife. That was manifest in much of the issue. And then Lincoln overrode the Constitution to impose federal power on the states. The feds had constitutional authority to stop the import of slaves into the country or from state to state. But not anything else. But that is another whole thread.

Oh- and racism is not confined to IFB. I've met people from all stripes who are racist - all over this country, lost and saved, black, white, and yellow. That comment was not necessary to make, in all honesty. Let's not turn a discussion into an attack.

Actually, racism is actually pretty relevant in IFB circles, Why don't you see any preachers of color evangelizing in IFB churches. Do you know a number of IFB preachers wont marry an interracial couple? How come black preachers don"t have white wives? John Hamblin still refers to blacks as Hammites

• Administrators

No, my words did not say no one sinned back then. You wrongly extrapoared that to turn the discussion in a different direction. Don't try to claim my words said what you tried to make them.

You do realize that sales tax, et al, are not property tax, don't you?

Well, I see preachers of color evangelizing...a number of all stripes of preachers won't marry an interracial couple...I could name a whole bunch of nonIFB preachers whose wives are the same skin color...whoever John Hamblin is, he isn't the IFB spokesman.

Stop throwing up strawmen.

• Members

No, my words did not say no one sinned back then. You wrongly extrapoared that to turn the discussion in a different direction. Don't try to claim my words said what you tried to make them.

Happy Christian "  Back when the people of this country were more moral - even the lost - they knew certain things were wrong'"

I just pointed out the sins that they committed and how things are better now

You do realize that sales tax, et al, are not property tax, don't you?

but that's how it is, Should Hispanics not vote on things that effect mostly whites, or whites vote on things that effect blacks?

Archived