• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Would You Take It?

heartstrings

• Members

There have been some very lucrative projects and I have enjoyed the opportunity for creativity which my job affords. The last two years have been better and has paid the bills, but for the past 4 or 5 years, in my area, it seems that my "niche" in the market isn't what it once was. For instance, the doctors, attorneys and other professionals who once bought fancy dimensional signs from us are now going with less expensive products which almost anyone can make. One doctor's office had me cover sandblasted gold leafed signs, we had done in the past, with cheap decals on thin metal. It seems they aren't looking for quality anymore. So, here I am with an office/showroom, and a shop full of thousands of dollars worth of robotic. metalworking and woodworking tools, and expensive software, but little business. It usually picks up in late winter and I look forward to that every year but, after being self employed for over 14 years, I still have no retirement and no health insurance and don't see that ever changing unless a miracle happens. I could pull up stakes and move to another area but my roots seem to be too deep where I am.

I may be looking at an opportunity to make 4 times the money as a graphics designer for an established employer.. I would have full benefits, including excellent health insurance, and would no longer have to wonder where my next paycheck is coming from. I guess you could say we have been living on faith for all these years but, it seems that maybe God wants me to move on to something else?.. Graphics design is what I do now, but this would be more involved with engineering.  I would be learning new 3D design software, dealing with physics and engineering problems and using alot more algebra (ugg). I had Algebra 1, 2. Geometry and Trig back in high school and Algebra in college so maybe it will come back to me? Maybe that won't be as easy for me being almost 53 now. It would also be a big change because I have been 'on my own' for so long, but then, it was a huge change 14 years ago when I clocked out for the last time too. My Wife says I could still run my business on the side and not have to sell all my equipment but, I don't know how that's going to work either. More money seems like a no-brainer but.I wouldn't even know what to do with that much money! My Wife says she can handle that part. I would appreciate any prayers.

Thanks! 

• Administrators

hmm...if you can keep your equipment and perhaps do a private job once in a while, all the while you are working for this other employer, it sounds pretty good to me. At our age (I'm already at 53), it's not common for that kind of offer to come along. I'm sure you'll be able to find God's will in the matter.  Praying for you.

• Members

When I got out of the Air Force and had a similar decision regarding where to go with my career (professionally and geographically), I was consulting my pastor at the time and he asked me one question (this is paraphrasing) "where do you think you will be a better Christian, a better witness, and grow more spiritually?"

I'm not sure how well it applies to your situation, but I found it to be some of the best advice I've ever gotten when faced with a tough choice like that.

• Members

hmm...if you can keep your equipment and perhaps do a private job once in a while, all the while you are working for this other employer, it sounds pretty good to me. At our age (I'm already at 53), it's not common for that kind of offer to come along. I'm sure you'll be able to find God's will in the matter. Praying for you.

As usual, LuAnne offers sage advice. I was thinking the same thing with respect to age--offers get a bit more scarce as time goes by. It may be that this is just where God needs you to be right now, not just for your own benefit but for the benefit of others (like Joseph in Pharaoh's court) . I will be praying for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Members

Well. if I get the new job, I would be with alot more people every day of the week whereas now I'm sometimes alone for days. One customer came in yesterday, and another today. SIt used to be common for someone to come in and order a $1000+, $2000+, $3000+ or even an $8000+ sign; that one has happened a couple of times so you just never know. But those have been few and far between and I can go for a few days and never see anyone. I'm sure I can get more aggressive with my marketing efforts, if the job doesn't pan out, and have plans in the works for doing that. The job isn't an offer but I have a pretty good chance at getting it. If God wants me to have it, that's what I want. If he wants me to stay, I want that too. We'll see.

• Members

If you got someone to make you an impressive sign, that could get you more customers. ;)

It can be hard making those decisions.

I also have some decisions about career right now, but it has been forced upon me. God is good and I waiting to see how he will provide.

• Members

I have job decisions to make too.   Lost my business in 2012.... Did temp work on and off (wasn't enough to make ends meet) and now teaching Christian school.   But the job isn't enough income, so I need to find a new one after the year is up.   I'm considering going back to school for some classes to increase my chances of getting a better paying job, but I have to see what happens as the year goes on.

i say if the job will provide for your family and will not take you out of church.....take it!

• Members

If you got someone to make you an impressive sign, that could get you more customers. ;)

It can be hard making those decisions.

I also have some decisions about career right now, but it has been forced upon me. God is good and I waiting to see how he will provide.

Thanks Dave,

The sign I was planning to build at my location would require a county permit, a DOT permit, fill dirt, tons of concrete, block, stone, lots of mortar, CNC carved elements,  EPS foam parts and hardcoat, sandblasting, spray and hand painting, air brushing, and gold leaf. All I need is about $5000 for the materials....that's all :) I've had the structural drawings designed since 2010 but, at this point, I wonder if it would be like sowing my whole corncrib for seed.

• Members

I have job decisions to make too.   Lost my business in 2012.... Did temp work on and off (wasn't enough to make ends meet) and now teaching Christian school.   But the job isn't enough income, so I need to find a new one after the year is up.   I'm considering going back to school for some classes to increase my chances of getting a better paying job, but I have to see what happens as the year goes on.

i say if the job will provide for your family and will not take you out of church.....take it!

Wow! You were making cakes weren't you? Praying that you find something with better pay.

My Wife is selling Avon and is doing well with it. She just made "President's Club" for the 3rd time now and has only been selling three years.

• Members

Wow! You were making cakes weren't you? Praying that you find something with better pay.

My Wife is selling Avon and is doing well with it. She just made "President's Club" for the 3rd time now and has only been selling three years.

Yep.   Made a big mistake and moved the business into a storefront with another successful home baker.   Partnership killed it, I had to get out in 2012.   She stayed but folded this year.   Unfortunate to lose both a friend and a successful business, but the alternative was to lose my sanity and my family.    It was a terrible choice to have to make, but it was the result of a poor decision.  Eh well.  Thanks!

• Members

I had one sign man who tried to get me to go into a partnership with him. He was a very likeable guy and very knowledgeable, especially in the electrical part of the business. but the main problem was that he was an alcoholic. He would sub out jobs to me and nearly every time he showed up, you could smell liquor on him. He finally ended up in jail, got out and left the state. I hadn't heard from him in a couple years until he showed up one day in front of my shop with this humongous, brand new crane service truck; over  $200k worth I believe. A couple years later he had lost it....sad.

Did you lose any equipment? Would it cost a lot to get more?

• Members

I had one sign man who tried to get me to go into a partnership with him. He was a very likeable guy and very knowledgeable, especially in the electrical part of the business. but the main problem was that he was an alcoholic. He would sub out jobs to me and nearly every time he showed up, you could smell liquor on him. He finally ended up in jail, got out and left the state. I hadn't heard from him in a couple years until he showed up one day in front of my shop with this humongous, brand new crane service truck; over  $200k worth I believe. A couple years later he had lost it....sad.

Did you lose any equipment? Would it cost a lot to get more?

Yes I had to leave all of my equipment behind....roughly $8,000 worth I had collected over 6-7 years.   So I won't be restarting....just looking to open a new chapter.  :-)

Archived