• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation 12 And Daniel 12

• Members

You are relying on the chronology of a pagan astrologer, who said there were 10 Persian kings before Alexander.

Scripture, Herodotus and Xenophon give only four after Cyrus.

1 ¶  Also I in the first year of Darius the Mede, even I, stood to confirm and to strengthen him.
2  And now will I shew thee the truth. Behold, there shall stand up yet three kings in Persia; and the fourth shall be far richer than they all: and by his strength through his riches he shall stir up all against the realm of Grecia.
3  And a mighty king shall stand up, that shall rule with great dominion, and do according to his will.

Herodotus mentions Artaxerxes only as a co-rex for his father, Xerxes while he was away making war with the Greeks.

The mighty king was Alexander.

No, I'm relying on current history, not some 2,000 year old "historian".  You still have not shown that Cyrus caused the streets and

walls, and gates of Jerusalem to be rebuilt.  You can't because for Daniels Prophecy to even "come close" to Cyrus, he was long dead.

Maybe Cyrus wrote the decree to rebuild the secure independent city-state of Jerusalem from his grave?

The year of Cyrus conquering Babyon is historically well established at 538 BC.  490 years are "determined on the holy city" - Dan 9:25

https://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/me/c/cyrus_cylinder.aspx

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK so you don't believe the scripture that said Cyrus would give the decree.

Ezra 5:9  Then asked we those elders, and said unto them thus, Who commanded you to build this house, and to make up these walls?

The Jews said it was on the command of Cyrus.  Darius searched for the decree and eventually it was found.  It seems that the Persians were not great archivists or interested in keeping records.  That is why there is not a great deal of agreement on the length of the reigns of Persian kings.  There was not much agreement within a few years of Cyrus as Herodotus said there were several accounts of the childhood of Cyrus and he gave the one that he thought most likely.  Zenophon gives a completely different account.  The also give different accounts of his death.  Herodotus says he died a violet death and Zenophon says he died in bed with his sons at his side.  And they lived not much more that 100 years after Cyrus, Herodotus at the time of Xerxes and Artaxerxes, and Xenophon overlapped him, being born during the lifetime of the former. 

As a point of interest I suggest you do a search for the reign of Cyrus, and you will probably find, as I did there are estimates from six year to 31 years

Gen. 3:3.   "Yea, hath God said..?"

• Members

Israel will live in the sight of Jesus in the 1000 year kingdom so how long are the two days before it?

Hosea 5:14-6:3

14 For I will be unto Ephraim as a lion, and as a young lion to the house of Judah: I, even I, will tear and go away; I will take away, and none shall rescue him.

15 I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.

1 Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.

2After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

3 Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

• Members

OK so you don't believe the scripture that said Cyrus would give the decree.

Ezra 5:9  Then asked we those elders, and said unto them thus, Who commanded you to build this house, and to make up these walls?

The Jews said it was on the command of Cyrus.  Darius searched for the decree and eventually it was found.  It seems that the Persians were not great archivists or interested in keeping records.  That is why there is not a great deal of agreement on the length of the reigns of Persian kings.  There was not much agreement within a few years of Cyrus as Herodotus said there were several accounts of the childhood of Cyrus and he gave the one that he thought most likely.  Zenophon gives a completely different account.  The also give different accounts of his death.  Herodotus says he died a violet death and Zenophon says he died in bed with his sons at his side.  And they lived not much more that 100 years after Cyrus, Herodotus at the time of Xerxes and Artaxerxes, and Xenophon overlapped him, being born during the lifetime of the former. 

As a point of interest I suggest you do a search for the reign of Cyrus, and you will probably find, as I did there are estimates from six year to 31 years

Gen. 3:3.   "Yea, hath God said..?"

And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and
Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel,
and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.  Ezra 6:14

"Yea, hath God said...?"

One reason why Artaxerxes I allowed the walls and gates to be completed (and provided WOOD and finances for it)
was because he trusted Nehemiah that Jerusalem and Judea would be strong allys in the region between Babylon
and Egypt.  Egypt had formed an alliance with the Greeks in opposition to the Persian (Babylonian) Empire. 

The commandment of Artaxerxes I, given to Nehemiah, fits perfectly with Daniel's prophecy concerning when the
Messiah would present himself as King by riding into Jerusalem on the back of a donkey.... to the very day.

PS: this information is disavowed by preterists/replacement theologians as it doesn't "fit" with their 4th Century Catholic Theology.

• Members

And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and
Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel,
and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.  Ezra 6:14

"Yea, hath God said...?"

One reason why Artaxerxes I allowed the walls and gates to be completed (and provided WOOD and finances for it)
was because he trusted Nehemiah that Jerusalem and Judea would be strong allys in the region between Babylon
and Egypt.  Egypt had formed an alliance with the Greeks in opposition to the Persian (Babylonian) Empire. 

The commandment of Artaxerxes I, given to Nehemiah, fits perfectly with Daniel's prophecy concerning when the
Messiah would present himself as King by riding into Jerusalem on the back of a donkey.... to the very day.

PS: this information is disavowed by preterists/replacement theologians as it doesn't "fit" with their 4th Century Catholic Theology.

As a preterist/replacement theologian I absolutely disavow your alleged disavowal. What you say fits perfectly with Scripture & the commonly accepted dates. There were a series of commands to rebuild the temple & the city. 

25 Know therefore and understand , that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again , and the wall, even in troublous times.

When Babylon was captured, it was by the Medes & Persians, with two kings, Cyrus & Darius. Daniel prayed

In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans .... (around 538)

Zerubbabel & Jeshua led the return ordered by Cyrus, became discouraged but resumed the work 20 years later in the second year of a later Darius, under the prophets Haggai & Zechariah. That concerns the rebuilding of the temple, not the walls.

Nehemiah had a further commandment to rebuild the walls, & he organised the ongoing administration of the city. That date we can assume, counting back from the baptism & anointing of Jesus to be around 460 BC.

The events are recorded by Ezra & Nehemiah.

• Members

As a preterist/replacement theologian I absolutely disavow your alleged disavowal. What you say fits perfectly with Scripture & the commonly accepted dates. There were a series of commands to rebuild the temple & the city. 

25 Know therefore and understand , that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again , and the wall, even in troublous times.

When Babylon was captured, it was by the Medes & Persians, with two kings, Cyrus & Darius. Daniel prayed

In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans .... (around 538)

Zerubbabel & Jeshua led the return ordered by Cyrus, became discouraged but resumed the work 20 years later in the second year of a later Darius, under the prophets Haggai & Zechariah. That concerns the rebuilding of the temple, not the walls.

Nehemiah had a further commandment to rebuild the walls, & he organised the ongoing administration of the city. That date we can assume, counting back from the baptism & anointing of Jesus to be around 460 BC.

The events are recorded by Ezra & Nehemiah.

Perhaps you can enlighten us on when Daniel 9:24 was totally/completely fulfilled.

Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city,
to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity,
and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

"Seventy weeks" of years = 490 years

• Members

"Yea, hath God said...?"

The first commandment was from God.  The publishing of the commandment was by Cyrus,The enemies appealed to Ahaseurus (Cambeses) but he took no action, they then appealed to Artaxerxes (Pseudo Smerdis)  who stopped the work until the 2nd year of Darius who searched the archives on appeal from the Jews and reinstated the original decree of Cyrus. The walls were to be built in 7 weeks, 49 years of troublous times.

Let us look at it another way.

Nehemiah was one of thge leading Jews who went to Jerusalem with Zerubbabel: Ezra 2:2, which means he was at least 30 years old, but say only 20 to give you the benefit of the doubt. (Mordecai was another so the same thing applies to him.)

20 Plus 9 years for the rule of Cyrus.  8 years Cambeses, (Ahaseurus) 1 year Smerdis aka Bardiya (Artaxerxes) 36 years for Darius, 20 for Xerxes (Not mentioned in scripture, except as the 4th king) to the 20th year of Artaxerxes (If he was the king mentioned, which I doubt.)

20+9+8+1+36+20+20=114, so Nehemiah must have been at least 114, probably more) when he worked on the walls/  Although this website (Taken at random from the web) makes from Cyrus to the 20th year of Artaxerxes 107 years.

Another timeline. 

From the command of Cyrus 9, Cambeses, 8, Smerdis 1, Darius (even Artaxerxes) 31 (32nd year)  = 49 of troublous times.

I am neither preterist or replacement., however you follow the Jesuit futurist theology.

That is my last word on the subject.

• Members

The first commandment was from God.  The publishing of the commandment was by Cyrus,The enemies appealed to Ahaseurus (Cambeses) but he took no action, they then appealed to Artaxerxes (Pseudo Smerdis)  who stopped the work until the 2nd year of Darius who searched the archives on appeal from the Jews and reinstated the original decree of Cyrus. The walls were to be built in 7 weeks, 49 years of troublous times.

I am neither preterist or replacement., however you follow the Jesuit futurist theology.

That is my last word on the subject.

"The original decree of Cyrus".  Shall we read the "original decree of Cyrus"?  [Thus sayeth the Lord]

“Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, All the kingdoms of the earth has Jehovah, the God of heaven, given me;

and he has charged me to build him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whosoever there is among you

of all his people, his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of Jehovah,

the God of Israel he is God, which is in Jerusalem. And whosoever is left, in any place where he sojourns, let the men of his place

help him with silver, and with gold, and with goods, and with beasts, besides the freewill-offering for the house of God which is in Jerusalem” (Ezra 1:2-4; cf. also 6:2-5).

Clearly, there is no mention of a "wall" in Cyrus' decree.  Nehemiah petitioned Artaxerxes (many decades later) to "build the wall".

Catholic doctrine from the very beginning was designed to minimize and "spiritualize" prophetic scripture.  The "Jesuits" were nothing more

than ninjas/assassins for the Pope and had absolutely nothing to do with doctrine.  Obviously, you need to study more on the subject at hand.

The Emperor (at first) and later the Pope wanted all the "faithful" to believe that the "Kingdom of God" was the Catholic Church - and so it goes

to this very day.  Many Protestants (a majority) have adopted this 4th Century Catholic doctrine of "Replacement Theology" as well.

Afterall, how could the "Jews" have a yet unfulfilled prophecy when they have been replaced by "spiritual Israel"?

Archived