• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revelation 12 And Daniel 12

• Members

Zechariah 14:1-5

1 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

(((At the middle of the tribulation the Lord will come down to help Israel escape the armies of antichrist which are under the control of the devil who has been cast to the earth)))

3Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.

4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.

Revelation 12:13-16

13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

((When the army of antichrist follows Israel down the valley, the mountain will close and swallow the army as the Red Sea swallowed the army of Eygpt))

15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.

16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.

((When the lamb (Lord) comes to Israel she will flee to the river ford on the Arnon River which is 1/3 of the way south on the Jordan side of the Dead Sea.))

Isaiah 16:1-5

1 Send ye the lamb to the ruler of the land from Sela to the wilderness, unto the mount of the daughter of Zion.

2 For it shall be, that, as a wandering bird cast out of the nest, so the daughters of Moab shall be at the fords of Arnon.

3 Take counsel, execute judgment; make thy shadow as the night in the midst of the noonday; hide the outcasts; bewray not him that wandereth.

4Let mine outcasts dwell with thee, Moab; be thou a covert to them from the face of the spoiler: for the extortioner is at an end, the spoiler ceaseth, the oppressors are consumed out of the land.

5 And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nehemiah, cup-bearer to King Artaxerxes, is sad because the walls of Jerusalem lay in ruins. Nehemiah ch 1-2

"the wall of Jerusalem also is broken down, and the gates thereof are burned with fire." Nehemiah 1:3b

"And it came to pass in the month Nisan, in the twentieth year of Artaxerxes the king, that wine was before him: and I took up the wine,

and gave it unto the king. Now I had not been beforetime sad in his presence.

Wherefore the king said unto me, Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou art not sick? this is nothing else but sorrow of heart.

Then I was very sore afraid, And said unto the king, Let the king live for ever: why should not my countenance be sad, when the city,

the place of my fathers' sepulchres, lieth waste, and the gates thereof are consumed with fire?

Then the king said unto me, For what dost thou make request? So I prayed to the God of heaven.

And I said unto the king, If it please the king, and if thy servant have found favour in thy sight, that thou wouldest send me unto Judah,

unto the city of my fathers' sepulchres, that I may build it. And the king said unto me, (the queen also sitting by him,)

For how long shall thy journey be? and when wilt thou return? So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time.

Moreover I said unto the king, If it please the king, let letters be given me to the governors beyond the river, that they may convey
me over till I come into Judah; And a letter unto Asaph the keeper of the king's forest, that he may give me timber to make beams
for the gates of the palace which appertained to the house, and for the wall of the city, and for the house that I shall enter into.
And the king granted me, according to the good hand of my God upon me." Nehemiah 2:1-8 (see Nehemiah ch 1-6)

"in the month Nisan, in the twentieth year of Artaxerxes the king"

"Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment
to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks,
and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times."
Daniel 9:25 (read the "fine print")

• Members

II Chronicles 36:23 23  Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia,  " All the kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God of heaven given me; and he hath charged me to build him an house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah."

Ezra 2  Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, "The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah."

Where is that charge given?  Here 

Is 44:28  That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.

Nehemiah had returned with the first exiles.  He knew at that time full well that the walls were in ruins. They must have been destroyed again after being rebuilt in the troublous times.

The city was rebuilt before the temple.  Haggai 1:1-4.

1 ¶  In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, in the first day of the month, came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet unto Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, saying,
2  Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the LORD’S house should be built.
3  Then came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying,
4  Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste?
5  Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

• Members

You could do worse than read Martin Anstey's Romance of Bible Chronology. 

You can download it here.  http://www.amen.org.uk/anstey/

Anstey says that there is, in the scripture a complete bible chronology from Adam to Christ.  But if we take the command to be that of Artaxerexes, there is a gap in what otherwise is a complete chronology. 

Here is an extract from him regarding the length of the Persian Empire.

In Ptolemy's Table of the Persian Kings, all the Julian years from Xerxes
to Alexander the Great inclusive are connumerary.  Therefore each requires to
be raised a unit higher to give the Julian years in which their reigns began.
Ptolemy reckons by the vague Egyptian year of 365 days.  The Julian year is
exactly 365 1/4 days.  Had Ptolemy never written, profane Chronology must have
remained to this day in a state of ambiguity and confusion, utterly
unintelligible and useless, nor would it have been possible to have
ascertained from the writings of the Greeks or from any other source, except
from Scripture itself, the true connection between sacred Chronology and
profane, in any one single instance, before the dissolution of the Persian
Empire in the [page 20] 1st year of Alexander the Great.  Ptolemy had no means
of accurately determining the Chronology of this period, so he made the best
use of the materials he had, and contrived to <ITALIC>make<ITALIC> a Chronology.  He was a
great astronomer, a great astrologer, a great geographer, and a great
constructor of synthetic systems.  But he did not possess sufficient data to
enable him to fill the gaps, or to fix the dates of the Chronology of this
period, so he had to resort to the calculation of eclipses.  In this way then,
not by historical evidence or testimony, but by the method of astronomical
calculation, and the conjectural identification of recorded with calculated  
eclipses, the Chronology of this period of the world's history has been fixed
by Ptolemy, since when, through Eusebius and Jerome, it has won its way to
universal acceptance.  It is contradicted (1) by the national traditions of
Persia, (2) by the national traditions of the Jews, (3) by the testimony of
Josephus, and (4) by the conflicting evidence of such well-authenticated
events as the Conference of Solon with Croesus, and the flight of Themistocles
to the court of Artaxerxes Longimanus, which make the accepted Chronology
impossible.  But the human mind cannot rest in a state of perpetual doubt.  
There was this one system elaborated by Ptolemy.  There was no other except
that given in the prophecies of Daniel.  Hence, whilst the Ptolemaic astronomy
was overthrown by Copernicus in the 16th Century, the reign of the Ptolemaic
Chronology remains to this day.  There is one, and only one alternative.  The
prophecy of Daniel 9:24-27 fixes the period between the going forth of the
commandment to return and to build Jerusalem (in the first year of Cyrus) to
the cutting off of the Messiah (in the year A.D. 30) as a period of 483 years.
If this be the true Chronology of the period from the 1st year of Cyrus to the
Crucifixion, it leaves only 123 years instead of the 205 given in Ptolemy's
Canon, for the duration of the Persian Empire.

In Ptolemy's Table of the Persian Kings, all the Julian years from Xerxes
to Alexander the Great inclusive are connumerary.  Therefore each requires to
be raised a unit higher to give the Julian years in which their reigns began.
Ptolemy reckons by the vague Egyptian year of 365 days.  The Julian year is
exactly 365 1/4 days.  Had Ptolemy never written, profane Chronology must have
remained to this day in a state of ambiguity and confusion, utterly
unintelligible and useless, nor would it have been possible to have
ascertained from the writings of the Greeks or from any other source, except
from Scripture itself, the true connection between sacred Chronology and
profane, in any one single instance, before the dissolution of the Persian
Empire in the [page 20] 1st year of Alexander the Great.  Ptolemy had no means
of accurately determining the Chronology of this period, so he made the best
use of the materials he had, and contrived to <ITALIC>make<ITALIC> a Chronology.  He was a
great astronomer, a great astrologer, a great geographer, and a great
constructor of synthetic systems.  But he did not possess sufficient data to
enable him to fill the gaps, or to fix the dates of the Chronology of this
period, so he had to resort to the calculation of eclipses.  In this way then,
not by historical evidence or testimony, but by the method of astronomical
calculation, and the conjectural identification of recorded with calculated  
eclipses, the Chronology of this period of the world's history has been fixed
by Ptolemy, since when, through Eusebius and Jerome, it has won its way to
universal acceptance.  It is contradicted (1) by the national traditions of
Persia, (2) by the national traditions of the Jews, (3) by the testimony of
Josephus, and (4) by the conflicting evidence of such well-authenticated
events as the Conference of Solon with Croesus, and the flight of Themistocles
to the court of Artaxerxes Longimanus, which make the accepted Chronology
impossible.  But the human mind cannot rest in a state of perpetual doubt.  
There was this one system elaborated by Ptolemy.  There was no other except
that given in the prophecies of Daniel.  Hence, whilst the Ptolemaic astronomy
was overthrown by Copernicus in the 16th Century, the reign of the Ptolemaic
Chronology remains to this day.  There is one, and only one alternative.  The
prophecy of Daniel 9:24-27 fixes the period between the going forth of the
commandment to return and to build Jerusalem (in the first year of Cyrus) to
the cutting off of the Messiah (in the year A.D. 30) as a period of 483 years.
If this be the true Chronology of the period from the 1st year of Cyrus to the
Crucifixion, it leaves only 123 years instead of the 205 given in Ptolemy's
Canon, for the duration of the Persian Empire.

But the true point of departure for the 70 weeks, and therefore for the
483 years also, is unquestionably the 1st year of Cyrus (Dan. 9, 2 Chron.
36:20-23, Ezra 1:1-4, Isa. 44:28, 45:1-4,13), and no other epoch would ever
have been suggested but for the fact that the count of the years was lost, and
wrongly restored from Ptolemy's conjectural astronomical calculations.

The one great fundamental fact to be remembered is the fact that modern
Chronology rests upon the calculations of Ptolemy as published in his Canon or
List of Reigns.  And since the foundation of Greek Conjectural Computation
Chronology, upon which Ptolemy's Canon rests, is unstable, the superstructure
is likewise insecure.  Ptolemy may be called as a witness.  He cannot be
allowed to arbitrate as a Judge.  He cannot take the place of a Court of Final
Appeal.  He cannot be erected into a standard by which to correct the
Chronology of the text of the Old Testament.

• Members

Lets get back to the simplicity of the Word of God:

Daniel is given the prophecy:

24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

70 weeks - 490 years takes us to the finished saving work of Jesus & the completion of prophecy. 

25 Know therefore and understand , that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again , and the wall, even in troublous times. 26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off , but not for himself:

That places the anointing - baptism & filling of the Holy Spirit on Jesus as the end of the 69th week. After that we see the crucifixion of Messiah. During & after the remaining, 70th week further events take place. The ministry of Jesus, the new covenant made & proclaimed - & destruction for those who reject their Messiah.

and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined . 27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease , and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate , even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate .

Jesus' Olivet prophecy confirms that destruction he & Gabriel (Daniel) prophesied would take place within a generation.

• Members
And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and
Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel,
and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia. Ezra 6:14
1. The Commandment of Cyrus
2. The Commandment of Darius
3. The Commandment of Artaxerxes
As well as the Commandment of God
The WALL of Jerusalem was in ruins and it was Artaxerxes that "commanded" that the wall be rebuilt and also provided the funds and materials.

Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah
the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. Daniel 9:25

Since the Commandment of Artaxerxes was taken to Jerusalem, there remained no excuse for the
religious leaders of Israel not to know the year of the appearance of Messiah.

• Members

As I have already said, the commandment of Artaxerxes was to build the walls, which Nehemiah did in 52 days.  The people carried out the work on the walls outside their houses, so the city was already built.

The WALL of Jerusalem was in ruins and it was Artaxerxes that "commanded" that the wall be rebuilt and also provided the funds and materials.

Agreed

• Members

Lets get back to the simplicity of the Word of God:

Daniel is given the prophecy:

24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

70 weeks - 490 years takes us to the finished saving work of Jesus & the completion of prophecy. 

25 Know therefore and understand , that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again , and the wall, even in troublous times. 26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off , but not for himself:

That places the anointing - baptism & filling of the Holy Spirit on Jesus as the end of the 69th week. After that we see the crucifixion of Messiah. During & after the remaining, 70th week further events take place. The ministry of Jesus, the new covenant made & proclaimed - & destruction for those who reject their Messiah.

and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined . 27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease , and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate , even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate .

Jesus' Olivet prophecy confirms that destruction he & Gabriel (Daniel) prophesied would take place within a generation.

It is true that Jesus pronounced 7 woes on that generation.

Matthew 23:36

36Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

But Daniel's was on a future generation by the future Prince that will come from the linage of the Romans that destroyed Jerusalem.

Daniel 9:26-27

26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

• Members

As I have already said, the commandment of Artaxerxes was to build the walls, which Nehemiah did in 52 days.  The people carried out the work on the walls outside their houses, so the city was already built.

Agreed

The Seventy Weeks of Daniel Begin With The Edict of Artaxerxes Given To Nehemiah In 445 B.C.

The rebuilding of the city's walls and gates restored Jerusalem as a sovereign self-governing city-state.

Sir Isaac Newton calculated the date of the Triumphal Entry, but he made two mistakes: he used a 365.24 day year

and he used the date of the wrong decree (commandment).  Others on this forum make similar mistakes by not reading the details.

Sir Robert Anderson calculated the correct date of the Triumphal Entry in his 1881 book "The Coming Prince" (as I stated before).

The correct decree (commandment) must be used and the 360 day Babylonian year must be used (as well, there is no "0" year). 

So, once again, the Jews in Jerusalem under Herod should have known this.

• Members

You have a bit of a problem here for your understanding.
12  And the God that hath caused his name to dwell there destroy all kings and people, that shall put to their hand to alter and to destroy this house of God which is at Jerusalem. I Darius have made a decree; let it be done with speed.
13 ¶  Then Tatnai, governor on this side the river, Shetharboznai, and their companions, according to that which Darius the king had sent, so they did speedily.
14  And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel, and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.
15  And this house was finished on the third day of the month Adar, which was in the sixth year of the reign of Darius the king.

The temple was finished in the 6th year of Darius, so why would the command of Artaxerxes Longimanus be relevant as he was over 50 years later?

Quite simply because Artaxerxes was a title, not a name, and most Persian kings bore the title including Darius.

Herodotus tells us that Xerxes meant warrior, Artaxerxes meant Great Warrior, and Darius meant Merchant.

Josephus tells us that the king who married Esther was named Cyrus, but the Greeks called him Artaxerxes.  As this king could only be Darius, he must have also have had the title Artaxerxes.

Ezra mentions two kings called Artaxerxes.

Here is a list of the Persian kings mentioned by Ezra.

Cyrus,

Ahasuerus  Ezra 4:6  It seems this king did not act on the complaints of the enemies of the Jews

Artaxerxes. Ezra 4:7-24  This king ordered the work on the work to cease, after the complaint that the walls were "set up."  7:12   v24  Then ceased the work of the house of God which is at Jerusalem. So it ceased unto the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia.
Darius  In his 2nd year the work restarted and was completed in his 6th year.

Artaxerxes. Ezra 6:14 - 8:1.  Ezra returned under this king.

All the Persian kings seemed favourable to the Jews.

If we put this list against the names of the kings known to us from history we find.

Cyrus - Cyrus

Cambeses - Ahasuerus

The Magi (Psuedo Sermis) - Artaxerxes.  These kings were Median imposters.

Darius - Darius

Xerxes - Artaxerxes.

Artaxerxes - XXXXXXXX

Strange, Xerxes is not mentioned in scripture.

• Members

You have a bit of a problem here for your understanding.
12  And the God that hath caused his name to dwell there destroy all kings and people, that shall put to their hand to alter and to destroy this house of God which is at Jerusalem. I Darius have made a decree; let it be done with speed.
13 ¶  Then Tatnai, governor on this side the river, Shetharboznai, and their companions, according to that which Darius the king had sent, so they did speedily.
14  And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel, and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.
15  And this house was finished on the third day of the month Adar, which was in the sixth year of the reign of Darius the king.

The temple was finished in the 6th year of Darius, so why would the command of Artaxerxes Longimanus be relevant as he was over 50 years later?

Quite simply because Artaxerxes was a title, not a name, and most Persian kings bore the title including Darius.

Herodotus tells us that Xerxes meant warrior, Artaxerxes meant Great Warrior, and Darius meant Merchant.

Josephus tells us that the king who married Esther was named Cyrus, but the Greeks called him Artaxerxes.  As this king could only be Darius, he must have also have had the title Artaxerxes.

Ezra mentions two kings called Artaxerxes.

Here is a list of the Persian kings mentioned by Ezra.

Cyrus,

Ahasuerus  Ezra 4:6  It seems this king did not act on the complaints of the enemies of the Jews

Artaxerxes. Ezra 4:7-24  This king ordered the work on the work to cease, after the complaint that the walls were "set up."  7:12   v24  Then ceased the work of the house of God which is at Jerusalem. So it ceased unto the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia.
Darius  In his 2nd year the work restarted and was completed in his 6th year.

Artaxerxes. Ezra 6:14 - 8:1.  Ezra returned under this king.

All the Persian kings seemed favourable to the Jews.

If we put this list against the names of the kings known to us from history we find.

Cyrus - Cyrus

Cambeses - Ahasuerus

The Magi (Psuedo Sermis) - Artaxerxes.  These kings were Median imposters.

Darius - Darius

Xerxes - Artaxerxes.

Artaxerxes - XXXXXXXX

Strange, Xerxes is not mentioned in scripture.

And the elders of the Jews builded, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and
Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they builded, and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel,
and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.                 Ezra 6:14

God clearly identifies three Kings in this scripture.  Have you not read the scripture?
Cyrus did NOT "build the wall" of Jerusalem, it was Artaxerxes (Longimanus - "long hand") .

BTW, you can also use the dates of Tiberius in the N.T. to calculate backward in time.

• Members

and according to the commandment of Cyrus, and Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.                 Ezra 6:14

God clearly identifies three Kings in this scripture.  Have you not read the scripture?
Cyrus did NOT "build the wall" of Jerusalem, it was Artaxerxes (Longimanus - "long hand") .

BTW, you can also use the dates of Tiberius in the N.T. to calculate backward in time.

Exra 4:1 ¶  Now when the adversaries of Judah and Benjamin heard that the children of the captivity builded the temple unto the LORD God of Israel;
2  Then they came to Zerubbabel, and to the chief of the fathers, and said unto them, Let us build with you: for we seek your God, as ye do; and we do sacrifice unto him since the days of Esarhaddon king of Assur, which brought us up hither.
3  But Zerubbabel, and Jeshua, and the rest of the chief of the fathers of Israel, said unto them, Ye have nothing to do with us to build an house unto our God; but we ourselves together will build unto the LORD God of Israel, as king Cyrus the king of Persia hath commanded us.
4  Then the people of the land weakened the hands of the people of Judah, and troubled them in building,
5  And hired counsellors against them, to frustrate their purpose, all the days of Cyrus king of Persia, even until the reign of Darius king of Persia.
6 ¶  And in the reign of Ahasuerus, in the beginning of his reign, wrote they unto him an accusation against the inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem.
7  And in the days of Artaxerxes wrote Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel, and the rest of their companions, unto Artaxerxes king of Persia; and the writing of the letter was written in the Syrian tongue, and interpreted in the Syrian tongue.
8  Rehum the chancellor and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the king in this sort:
9  Then wrote Rehum the chancellor, and Shimshai the scribe, and the rest of their companions; the Dinaites, the Apharsathchites, the Tarpelites, the Apharsites, the Archevites, the Babylonians, the Susanchites, the Dehavites, and the Elamites,
10  And the rest of the nations whom the great and noble Asnappar brought over, and set in the cities of Samaria, and the rest that are on this side the river, and at such a time.
11  This is the copy of the letter that they sent unto him, even unto Artaxerxes the king; Thy servants the men on this side the river, and at such a time.
12  Be it known unto the king, that the Jews which came up from thee to us are come unto Jerusalem, building the rebellious and the bad city, and have set up the walls thereof, and joined the foundations.

The walls were set up at this time.

• Members

Of course you can.  That was the beginning of the ministry of John the Baptist just before the baptism of Jesus.  As that was the time the 483 years ran out from the decree of Cyrus, then we know when Cyrus made his decree.

• Members

Of course you can.  That was the beginning of the ministry of John the Baptist just before the baptism of Jesus.  As that was the time the 483 years ran out from the decree of Cyrus, then we know when Cyrus made his decree.

The decree of Cyrus was issued in the same year that Cyrus conquered Babylon, which was 538 BC.

That would place the fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy of the coming Messiah at 62 BC.

Perhaps you can elaborate.

• Members

You are relying on the chronology of a pagan astrologer, who said there were 10 Persian kings before Alexander.

Scripture, Herodotus and Xenophon give only four after Cyrus.

1 ¶  Also I in the first year of Darius the Mede, even I, stood to confirm and to strengthen him.
2  And now will I shew thee the truth. Behold, there shall stand up yet three kings in Persia; and the fourth shall be far richer than they all: and by his strength through his riches he shall stir up all against the realm of Grecia.
3  And a mighty king shall stand up, that shall rule with great dominion, and do according to his will.

Herodotus mentions Artaxerxes only as a co-rex for his father, Xerxes while he was away making war with the Greeks.

The mighty king was Alexander.

Archived