• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ergun Caner

John B. Carpenter

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually saw Ergun Caner preached at Jerry Falwell's church when visiting my mother. I really liked him. Not sure about his doctrinal stance on things but he sounded good to me.

Not saying this means much but I knew nothing of the man prior but as soon as he stood up there to preached I could almost "feel" that he was a former Muslim. I don't think a phony could pull that off.

• Members

In Caner's case, he embraced, emphasized and exaggerated his Muslim back-ground because he wasn't really from a devout Muslim back-ground or from an Islamic community that would have been out for revenge. He apparently saw an opportunity to make some money and get some prime jobs among Christians. It worked. And some gullible fundamentalists (like Dr.James Ach) are still trying to cover for him. I guess they thought his story was too good not to be true.

How was it exaggerated? He was raised Islam his father even getting a court order for it to be so. Sounds like you have an ax to grind.

• Members

Hi SFIC,

In the yearbook pictures, Butch is dressed and has the hair-styles of a typical American kid of the time. There is no Islamic garb, etc, such as he claims. I don't see how Caner can be called a "man of God" when he's told so many proven lies.

Maybe you should look up what "taqiyya" is. Many Muslims don't wear traditional garb at all times. 

• Members

Hi Candlelight,

You're right that some ex-Muslims converted to Christianity change their names or otherwise try to make it difficult for militants to find them. According to James White, one such converted ex-Muslim took on a pseudonym and Ergun Caner claimed that he had debated him, Caner assuming that he was a Muslim, apparently not knowing that the Arabic name showed him to be a Christian. 

In Caner's case, he embraced, emphasized and exaggerated his Muslim back-ground because he wasn't really from a devout Muslim back-ground or from an Islamic community that would have been out for revenge. He apparently saw an opportunity to make some money and get some prime jobs among Christians. It worked. And some gullible fundamentalists (like Dr.James Ach) are still trying to cover for him. I guess they thought his story was too good not to be true.

This "gullable fundamentalist" just saw your comment on my website thanking me for agreeing with the issues about Caner. So I expect your full apology for sticking your foot in your mouth, especially since you have already replied on my website once and with just a modicum of diligence you would have seen the title of our article on Caner right below the one you responded to.

This is precisely why I impose the pressure I do on Calvinists because pressure busts pipes and rivers of hypocrisy flow from them when you turn the wrench the right way.

• Members

Hi James Ach,

Yes, you're right. I was wrong. I assumed, with the unfounded attacks on James White, the use of the "Calvinism" red herring -- common with the Canerites like Peter Lumpkins -- that you too were a Canerite. I should have checked first before jumping to conclusions. I'm sorry about that. 

I'll try to edit my comment to remove the reference to you. 

• Members

This "gullable fundamentalist" just saw your comment on my website thanking me for agreeing with the issues about Caner. So I expect your full apology for sticking your foot in your mouth, especially since you have already replied on my website once and with just a modicum of diligence you would have seen the title of our article on Caner right below the one you responded to.

This is precisely why I impose the pressure I do on Calvinists because pressure busts pipes and rivers of hypocrisy flow from them when you turn the wrench the right way.

JohnB, I don't see any reason to call Ergun Caner a liar.  I enjoyed the book written by both him and his brother, Emir.  All three brothers were saved out of Islam.  This passionate book has also helped me witness to many Muslims, as I live in an area full of Muslims.  I go to the stores, around me town, and other surrounding towns, and I have a burden to share the gospel with them.  The women, especially, as I can approach them better than a Muslim man.  I am also witnessing to an 24 year old Arab young man, who wants out of Islam, on Facebook. 

I think you have brought false accusations against Ergun Caner.  I have no reason to doubt that his testimony is real.  Maybe, you should seek out accurate sources and not follow such slander.  This slander happens quite often to Arab Christians.  Wild phoney accusations were made against Birgitte Gabriel, as well.  They proved to be false.

• Members

Hey, ASongofDegrees: Caner made the following claims, as anyone can still hear on the internet. Can you verify them:

1. he was born in Istanbul, Turkey

2. as a boy growing up in Turkey he only knew American culture through what he had seen on TV there

3. he was educated in a Madrasah (a Islamic religious school) in Beirut, Lebanon

4. he came to the USA in 1978 at age 14

5. his father immigrated with his several wives (using the “Abraham lie” to claim his plural wives were really his sisters)

6. they came here to be Islamic missionaries to America

7. he took his prayer rug to school and prayed toward Mecca in his high school bathroom

8. he came into a Baptist church in full Islamic garb, carrying  a Koran

9. he speaks what he implies is Arabic,

10. he claims he's engaged in debates in Mosques with Muslims.

• Members

Hi Candlelight,

My source is Caner himself. Go on-line and listen to him claim:

Caner made the following claims, as anyone can still hear on the internet:

2. as a boy growing up in Turkey he only knew American culture through what he had seen on TV there

3. he was educated in a Madrasah (a Islamic religious school) in Beirut, Lebanon

5. his father immigrated with his several wives (using the “Abraham lie” to claim his plural wives were really his sisters)

7. he took his prayer rug to school and prayed toward Mecca in his high school bathroom

All of those statements are lies. What do you call someone who lies?

As for his book on Islam, people who really know Islam, say that it's bogus, that he can't even refer to Muslim writings correctly or use common Islamic words correctly, that he has as much knowledge of Islam as someone who spoke of "Bible 3:16" would of Christianity.

• Members

ASOD,

As above, Caner shows little real knowledge of Islam. He speaks gibberish he claims is Arabic; he doesn't even know how to properly refer to Islamic scripture, like someone who didn't even know how to cite a chapter and verse of the Bible. He was raised by his mother after the age of 8 and his mother appealed the instruction that he be raised as a Muslim; his mother wasn't Muslim and Caner never went to a Madrasa in Beirut as he claimed.

• Members

JohnB, I don't see any reason to call Ergun Caner a liar.  I enjoyed the book written by both him and his brother, Emir.  All three brothers were saved out of Islam.  This passionate book has also helped me witness to many Muslims, as I live in an area full of Muslims.  I go to the stores, around me town, and other surrounding towns, and I have a burden to share the gospel with them.  The women, especially, as I can approach them better than a Muslim man.  I am also witnessing to an 24 year old Arab young man, who wants out of Islam, on Facebook. 

I think you have brought false accusations against Ergun Caner.  I have no reason to doubt that his testimony is real.  Maybe, you should seek out accurate sources and not follow such slander.  This slander happens quite often to Arab Christians.  Wild phoney accusations were made against Birgitte Gabriel, as well.  They proved to be false.

Candlelight, usually the last stand of someone who is a liar himself is claiming his opponent is not saved. Once they open this door you pretty much have to walk away from them. It's pretty much a variation of Godwin's Law.

• Members

Hi Candlelight,

My source is Caner himself. Go on-line and listen to him claim:

Caner made the following claims, as anyone can still hear on the internet:

All of those statements are lies. What do you call someone who lies?

As for his book on Islam, people who really know Islam, say that it's bogus, that he can't even refer to Muslim writings correctly or use common Islamic words correctly, that he has as much knowledge of Islam as someone who spoke of "Bible 3:16" would of Christianity.

Where's the link for these claims?

Archived