• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

He Who Letteth Or Restraineth

• Members

He who letteth or restraineth

John 16:7-11

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Matthew 5:13-16

13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

As salt and light restrain germs, the Holy Spirit in the church restrains evil.

Thessalonians 2:6-8

6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

The Holy Spirit who is in each born again Christian will never leave us nor forsake us. Therefore when He that letteth is taken, we the church will be taken also! Praise God I am ready.

• Moderators

I only find two in the Bible who actually stood against Satan directly: Jesus and Michael the Archangel. Michael withstood Satan in the dispute over Moses' body,and along with Gabriel, stood against the prince of Persia, who is generally believed to either be a powerful demon or Satan, recorded in Daniel.

'Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. '  (Jude 1:9)

"But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia."  (Dan 10:13)

Jesus, of course, dealt directy with Satan when He was tempted in the desert, and regularly as He cast out demons.

Otherwise, the Holy Spirit's job is see as, yes, reproving the world of sin, that is not the same as restraining Satan or His influence. To reprove means to blame, or to charge with guilt. So the Spirit will let the world know its guilt-He shows us our guilty state and encourages us to remedy in Christ. That is not nearly the same thing as restraining Satan from taking over the world.

As well the Spirit indwells, seals, and empowers the believer, and teaches us, and keeps us aware of our sin so we might always seek to be in a good walk with the Lord.

Also, the Spirit will not be taken out of the way-He can't be, because the Bible cearly speaks of at LEAST the 144,000 who wil be sealed, and it is the Spirit's job to seal.

"And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel."      (Rev 7:4)

As well, there will be other saints during that time, so whether one holds to a pre or post trib rapture position, the Bible clearly says there will be saints that Satan will overcome shorlty before Jesus' return.

"And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him? And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months. And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven. And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations." (Rev 13:4-7)

• Members

Paul never says that "he who now letteth" is the Holy Spirit.

No, he doesn't explicitly say it, but I think when 2 Thess 2:1-12 is given thorough exegesis and analysis, the Holy Spirit is most likely what Paul was implying. Though much more could be said, I agree with Eric's point here.

• Moderators

Also, the Spirit will not be taken out of the way-He can't be, because the Bible cearly speaks of at LEAST the 144,000 who wil be sealed, and it is the Spirit's job to seal.

"And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel."      (Rev 7:4)

As well, there will be other saints during that time, so whether one holds to a pre or post trib rapture position, the Bible clearly says there will be saints that Satan will overcome shorlty before Jesus' return.

"And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him? And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months. And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven. And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations." (Rev 13:4-7)

:goodpost:  This. Yes.

• Members

Otherwise, the Holy Spirit's job is see as, yes, reproving the world of sin, that is not the same as restraining Satan or His influence. To reprove means to blame, or to charge with guilt. So the Spirit will let the world know its guilt-He shows us our guilty state and encourages us to remedy in Christ. That is not nearly the same thing as restraining Satan from taking over the world.

As well the Spirit indwells, seals, and empowers the believer, and teaches us, and keeps us aware of our sin so we might always seek to be in a good walk with the Lord.

I don't think a removal, or departure, of the Holy Spirt in context of 2 Thess 2:6-8 precludes His work of sealing and securing salvation of the tribulation saints. He was active and present in the OT before He was poured out on all flesh. I posit that in the tribulation, He will go back to this manner of working, but cease to hold back the sin and evil of the world by reproving it in the way He does now.

• Members

I only find two in the Bible who actually stood against Satan directly: Jesus and Michael the Archangel. Michael withstood Satan in the dispute over Moses' body,and along with Gabriel, stood against the prince of Persia, who is generally believed to either be a powerful demon or Satan, recorded in Daniel.

'Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. '  (Jude 1:9)

"But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia."  (Dan 10:13)

Jesus, of course, dealt directy with Satan when He was tempted in the desert, and regularly as He cast out demons.

You are on track with that quote from Daniel concerning Michael. Notice Paul mentions the archangel in I Thessalonians 4:16? Michael is the one who "witholdeth" in Daniel 10:21 and he is holding back the "prince of Grecia" (i.e. the Antichrist).

• Members

Ephesians 6:12-16

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

19And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

20For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

The body of Christ with the Holy Spirit withstand the mystery of iniquity in the world today.

• Members

Ephesians 6:12-16

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

19And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

20For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

The body of Christ with the Holy Spirit withstand the mystery of iniquity in the world today.

Eric, you realize that the "mystery of iniquity" is the Antichrist himself? Just as Christ is the "mystery of godliness" (incarnate God) the Antichrist is the "mystery of iniquity" (incarnate Satan). He may be in the world right now but we aren't fighting him personally.

• Members

Eric, you realize that the "mystery of iniquity" is the Antichrist himself? Just as Christ is the "mystery of godliness" (incarnate God) the Antichrist is the "mystery of iniquity" (incarnate Satan). He may be in the world right now but we aren't fighting him personally.

Do you believe the church in Paul's day did not need to put on the whole armor of God because the antichrist was not alive back at that time?

• Members

Do you believe the church in Paul's day did not need to put on the whole armor of God because the antichrist was not alive back at that time?

That's not what I'm saying. Just making clear that the "mystery of iniquity" is not the "wiles of the devil". 

Also, the Antichrist could have been alive in his day as the passage in II Thess. 2 suggests. It's just that he's been held back. Apparently, the Antichrist has been on this earth in one person or another since Paul's time but he has been held back.

• Members

That's not what I'm saying. Just making clear that the "mystery of iniquity" is not the "wiles of the devil". 

Also, the Antichrist could have been alive in his day as the passage in II Thess. 2 suggests. It's just that he's been held back. Apparently, the Antichrist has been on this earth in one person or another since Paul's time but he has been held back.

God will choose the antichrist when he makes all the people who heard and rejected the truth of the gospel to believe the lie of the antichrist.

For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

• Members

Revelation 7:

1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,
3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: [and there were] sealed an hundred [and] forty [and] four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

till we have sealed: Sounds like its the five angels that sealed the 144,000. 

• Members

The discussion is complicated by John's assertion :

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. 20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

What did he mean by "last time" ? The date is unknown but significant - before AD 70, the "last time" would be the destruction, which they knew about & expected from Jesus' Olivet prophecy. I think we can all agree that antichrists did not die out with the destruction, but have continued down the ages - & there are plenty today.

I do consider Paul in 2 Thes. 2 is writing about the temple destruction - the temple was still in use but under sentence of destruction before the generation that rejected Jesus passed.

Note that both John & Paul said their readers knew what they were talking about. The fact that we don't indicates a first C event rather than future "end times."

Also I think the Holy Spirit is restraining evil & unbelievers so that believers can live in relative peace & preach the Gospel. We are not in the state of the antediluvians where the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. Happily the general situation is that the unbelievers simply get on with life in a law abiding & peaceful way. But not everywhere, & some organised religions have shown unrestrained wickedness .

Archived