• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Nouthetic Counseling

Arbo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first wife was prescribed those little white pills many years ago due to her depression. 

The last few years of her life, (she died at the young age of 46) she was like a mad woman.  Things had to be hidden from her or she would use them for things that they were not meant to be used for. 

One example, one day, her mother caught her using scissors to cut up slats on brand new venetian blinds.   

There are countless stories all over the internet of people who were put on those pills who later went "crazy" and committed suicide or attempted suicide.

By the way, my first wife attempted suicide several times.  Once, shooting herself in the head. 

There are many psychiatrists that question the dispensing of medications for depression.  They admit that the pills are dangerous. 

Sadly, the public doesn't seem to care.

• Members

HERE is a video in which many psychiatrists admit that they invent many so-called "mental illnesses" just so they can prescribe medications that the pharmaceutical companies are pushing.

They also admit in the video that there are no tests that reveal the so-called "chemical imbalance" that they claim people have.  ROFL.

It is a 3-hour video, but well worth the watch.  Very informative.  And they are real psychiatrist's.  A search on the internet can give one their office phone numbers and their credentials.

• Administrators

All too often, people tend to forget that sometimes God uses doctors to be that help which comes from the Lord. He does use people at times rather than direct intervention. We need to remember that.

SFIC, I'm sorry you and your wife had to go through that. To be honest, it sounds like she had more than depression going on.

• Members

I wish to ask what will certainly be a controversial question -- Can sinful behavior (in either the thoughts of one's mind, or the feelings of one's heart, or the communications of one's mouth, or the actions of one's walk) ever truly be solved through human doctors or through human medications?

• Members

I wish to ask what will certainly be a controversial question -- Can sinful behavior (in either the thoughts of one's mind, or the feelings of one's heart, or the communications of one's mouth, or the actions of one's walk) ever truly be solved through human doctors or through human medications?

Excellent question, PSM!

And the answer is a resounding NO!

It can be masked, but pills will never solve the problem. 

• Members

In my opinion, those who take medications to solve such problems have no right to sing songs such as

Sometimes when misgivings darken my way,
And faith's light I just can not see;
Then I asked the dear Lord,
"Please brighten my way",
He whispers sweet peace to me.

He whispers sweet peace to me,
When I am cast down in spirit and soul,

I could not go on without Him I know,
The world would o'erwhelm my soul;
For I could not see the right way to go,
When temptations o'er me roll.

Verse 3
I trust Him through faith, by faith hold His hand,
And sometimes my faith is weak,
And then when I ask Him to take command,
It seems that I hear Him speak,

Chorus
He whispers sweet peace to me

Verse 4
He speaks in a still, small voice we are told,
A voice that dispels all fear;
And when I'm in doubt, or troubled in soul,
That still small voice I can hear.

Chorus
He whispers sweet peace to me

They are not looking to Him for that peace when they are cast down.  They look to doctors and pills.

• Members

Depression is not always from sinful behaviour. Opression and depression are two different things. Sometimes medicine is needed. Other times it's not. Not every illness is a result of sin.

Creation (including man) was made perfect and pleasing to God.  Then sin came into the Garden.  Sin made things not perfect anymore until Heaven.  Sin is the cause of spiritual and physical death.  That does not mean everyone who becomes ill has become ill as a result of their personal sin.  It all stems from Adam.

Romans 5:12 (KJV) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: 

Oppression can happen only to a saved person because their spirit has been sealed at salvation- not allowing unclean spirits to reside within their soul.  They can be bothered outwardly by dark spirits.

Possession can happen only to unsaved individuals- it is an unclean spirit living within their soul and in control of their spirit.

1 John 4:1-4 (KJV) Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 

• Members

The biblical answer to that question is NO!

From Dave Hunt's excellent book "An Urgent Call To A Serious Faith", chapter 22, "Understanding the Incarnation", pg. 203:

There are more cells in the brain than stars in the universe, and these cells make up hundreds of billions of neurons and trillions of synapses in perfect balance.  Moreover, the mysterious link between the spirit of man, made in God's image, and his brain and body is forever beyond the grasp of science.  Yet that connection is being tampered with by drugs in order to adjust man's behavior--behavior which was meant to reflect God's perfect purity, but instead reflects man's rebellion and sin as a child of Satan: "Ye are of your father the devil" (John 8:44).  There are no chemical solutions to spiritual problems.  Yet millions take drugs such as Prozac, Effexor, Valium, Ritalin, Zoloft, Paxil, and so on to deal with spiritual problems.

The Bible declares that man's inner turmoil, insecurity, lust, anger, conflict with himself and others, and any other "emotional problems" which beset him are spiritual at their root (2 Corinthians 7:1; Galatians 5:16; Colossians 1:21).  They result from man's rebellion against God and the wrenching separation from God which that rebellion effected in the depths of his being.  Therefore, the solution to man's emotional and spiritual problems is reconciliation to God.  Tragically, that solution is being set aside in favor of correcting a "chemical imbalance" in the brain with drugs.

• Members

Depression is not always from sinful behavior.

Sister "HappyChristian,"

Your opening statement as quoted above actually raises yet another spiritually serious and very controversial question.  That question is not if the attitude of depression in one's heart is from some sinful behavior.  That question is if the attitude of depression in one's heart is itself a sinful behavior.  Indeed, since I have already been bold (or, maybe brash) enough to ask the previous controversial question, I will proceed to present this one also --

Is the attitude of depression itself a sinful attitude?

Now, I shall not in this post present an answer to the question directly.  Yet I would state that an answer is not legitimately possible until we first define what is meant by "an attitude of depression."  Once we have defined our meaning, then we shall be able to examine this attitude of heart in accord with the principles and standard of God's Holy Word; for it is the only by the standard of God's principles as revealed in His Word that we can determine if any given behavior (whether it be a thought of the mind, an attitude of the heart, a communication of the mouth, or an action of the walk) is righteousness or unrighteousness.

Might I also add yet another basic question for this discussion -- Are there any other categories by which to classify human behavior (whether it be a thought of the mind, an attitude of the heart, a communication of the mouth, or an action of the walk) than that of the following two:

(1)  It is a righteous behavior.

(2)  It is an unrighteous behavior.

Is there a third, more neutral classification for some human behaviors?

• Members

1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

We are to cast all our cares on the Lord.  If something tragic happens that causes our minds to fear, or to become burdened, we are to cast our cares upon Him. 

If, instead of casting those cares upon Him, we dwell upon them and allow them to burden us even more... even to the point that we take a mind altering drug in order to assuage our emotions, then we have sinned.  We have allowed the situation become the controlling factor in our lives.

Archived