• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Nouthetic Counseling

Arbo

• Members

This has been enlightening.

This past weekend I learned of the suicide of a gentleman who frequented another Baptist-oriented website that I used to be involved with.  Though he had a genuine mental illness, he was badgered by one or two individuals who were of the nouthetic persuasion.   It was shameful.

Probably the same website I hung around for a while. Didn't take me long to find out they held their PHDs above the Word. I tried to convince them that my PHD (Post Hole Digger) did more good than theirs. :biggrin:  If we are not careful; topics of this nature will overshadow what we really should be centered on...The Word. My :twocents: !!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, Salyan. Sodomy is a choice.
God did not make us sodomites. Nor can pumping a females hormones into a male body make one a sodomite. The choice to become a sodomite is that of the individual.
Some people want to accept anything and everything that the world teaches to justify something that is ungodly. Sodomites do this often.
"I was born this way." No, you weren't. You made a choice.
"It's not my fault, my mother raised me like this." "My father molested me when I was young." It's still your choice to rise above your past or live in your past.
Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

If you read anything from ministries that deal with people with deep sexual sin issues, a good majority have had been molested as children.
Some people deal with it better than others, but you can't dismiss what somebody has had done to them somehow doesn't somehow shape their perspective in life issues. God heals! But it may take time with some people.

• Members

Sin is the choice of the individual, Jeffrey.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Matthew 15:18-20 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

• Members

Right, but if it is a result of their physiological makeup, then they are indeed 'born that way', as they like to contend. Bad genetics may cause a lot of problems, but they cannot cause someone to sin. The sin nature is neither better nor worse than it was at the beginning of time.

I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Ukelelemike.  I said,  "psychologically speaking, Homosexuality in young men and adult men, is caused by a distant dad and an overbearing mom. Add, poor life choices to the equation and you have a sure result."

A dad who is absent in a young man's life, along with an overbearing mother, can cause him to be a Homosexual.  His poor choice in lifestyles dictate this, as well.  Hanging out in all male clubs, etc.

• Administrators

Sodomy is indeed a choice - but pumping estrogen (via soy) into boys does damage to theur systems, causing some things that can make some males believe they are actually supposed to be females. Testosterone overload in females would do the same to females. Does that mean soy causes sodomy? No...but coupled with all the lies put out, it most certainly can contribute to convincing guys that they are gay.

Back to topic, I think nouthetic counseling definitely has its place. And I believe there are times meds are needed. Per my life experience and observation. :-)

• Moderators

Some people deal with it better than others, but you can't dismiss what somebody has had done to them somehow doesn't somehow shape their perspective in life issues.

This statement is good. Abuse doesn't force someone to a sodomite lifestyle, but it can definitely shape their perspective as to what is acceptable or encourage sinful tendencies

I wasn't necessarily agreeing with Ukelelemike.  I said,  "psychologically speaking, Homosexuality in young men and adult men, is caused by a distant dad and an overbearing mom. Add, poor life choices to the equation and you have a sure result."

A dad who is absent in a young man's life, along with an overbearing mother, can cause him to be a Homosexual.  His poor choice in lifestyles dictate this, as well.  Hanging out in all male clubs, etc.

I guess it's the word 'cause' I'm disagreeing with. These things don't cause someone to sin - that would mean he had no choice in the matter. They might encourage or create a tendency toward sin.  SWIM?

• Members

Sin is the choice of the individual, Jeffrey.
Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Matthew 15:18-20 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Yes I agree sin is a choice, but we are still shaped by what happened to us. If you have a child that is constantly beaten by his parents, you are going to have someone who will lean towards violence and probably deal with rage issues during his lifetime.

• Members

This statement is good. Abuse doesn't force someone to a sodomite lifestyle, but it can definitely shape their perspective as to what is acceptable or encourage sinful tendencies

I guess it's the word 'cause' I'm disagreeing with. These things don't cause someone to sin - that would mean he had no choice in the matter. They might encourage or create a tendency toward sin.  SWIM?

Yes.  Exactly, Saylan.  Life choices are the biggest thing as to why a man or woman chose Sodomy.  There are clubs all over the world that suck in people, then they chose this sinful behavior, because of the world's evil temptations.

• Members

Yes I agree sin is a choice, but we are still shaped by what happened to us. If you have a child that is constantly beaten by his parents, you are going to have someone who will lean towards violence and probably deal with rage issues during his lifetime.

I disagree.  As a child, I was constantly beat by my mother and by my teachers when they felt it necessary.

I don't have "rage issues."  My siblings, and my wife, can attest to that fact.

It all stems from the heart.  It's a choice of the individual. 

Am I denying that an abused child might have "rage issues"?  Not at all.  But those "rage issues" are his choice. 

• Members

In Jeremiah the word wicked is defined as being sick:

a primitive root; to be frail, feeble, or (figuratively) melancholy:--desperate(-ly wicked), incurable, sick, woeful.
This tells me that our hearts have a disease of sin, which we all suffer from, even saved, we still have sin in our lives

• Members

Wow! What an unintentionally funny, yet also tragic thread.

We live in a fallen world where sin has corrupted everything.

Amen John.  

Using scripture as a basis I believe in biblical counseling.  I do not even believe in medicating one who is having mental issues.  To believe that a spirit of the devil cannot be removed through Christ limits His power which is unlimited.  According to His will, way, and timing He can heal anything.  It is man that is the problem: being disobedient and sinful and not willing to be submissive to a holy God.  God does leave man to His unbelief and sin which can deteriorate man physically and mentally.  

Medical tests are based upon science and man's reasoning.  They do wonders in the medical field with testing, however what is the basis for a "normal" brain and a chemical imbalance from man, science, or the Bible?  All tests are based upon given parameters and my opinion in the area of mental disorders God's power is able to heal these.  Think of the man in Luke chapter 8 who Christ healed.

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (emphasis mine)

Luke 8:35 (KJV) Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. 

I know some of you will not fully agree with my opinion but consider the scripture I have also included and some of us may have to agree to disagree in the love and spirit of Christ, giving Him honor and glory.

S.F.I.C. I agree somewhat with your thinking on tests but we may not agree on this in full.

• Members

I guarantee I'm not possessed by a demon just because of mental health issues! Thinking of that basis is what causes a stigma and people who truly need medical help don't get it. I was saved when I began having depression, therefore I am not possessed. I am sealed with Holy Spirit. God's word is my instruction book for life. God also gave the specific knowledge of medication for mental illness to doctors to help those of us with mental illness. While I would have chosen a life without it, it has helped me immensely in helping to understand other people's problems and be a witness to what God has done in my life through him AND medicine. As a  nurse and someone who does a lot of research and has read many books over the years I've also helped people get the right kind of treatment for mental illness.

Sometimes a person's view of mental illness does more harm than good!

Think about it, if I was in a serious depression right now and someone is telling me it's because I'm possessed but I know I'm a Christian. With twisted thoughts already how big of a help would you be?

• Administrators

God gave us doctors for a reason. He gave mankind the brains to devise medicine. As a user and proponent of natural meds, I would be the first to say that people are often too quick to go to doctors and take medicine just cuz doc said to. But I would also say that there are times meds are necessary...even in the case of some mental issues.

We cannot dismiss the power of God's Word Iin dealing with sin issues. But neither can we blithely dismiss the possible need for doctoral care and medicine-even for mental issues. Not all menral issues are demon.possession and we do a disservice when we claim it so.

Archived