• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ready To Perish? (Proverbs 31:6-7)

• Members

Proverbs 31:6-7 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Many today who profess to be Christians will often run to this verse as proof that alcoholic beverages are permissible to those who are downcast or depressed.  They will say, “See, the Bible says to give alcohol to one who is of a heavy heart.” 

But, the truth is, that is not speaking of the saved.  Rather, it is speaking of the condemned.  Notice the first part of the passage,

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish

Is the child of God “ready to perish”?  Should the child of God be “ready to perish”?  it is my belief that we who are saved should not be “ready to perish”.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

God loved us so much that He wanted us to have eternal life.  He sent His Son so that we would not “perish.”

So who are the “ready to perish” spoken of in Proverbs 31:6?  It is the condemned man.  Give the condemned man strong drink, so he can forget his poverty.

Did not they offer strong drink on a sponge to our Lord and Saviour while He was dying on that cruel cross?  They were practicing exactly what was being spoken to the wise king Lemuel… “Give strong drink to them that are ready to perish”.  The strong drink will help to deaden the pain.

Our Lord refused the strong drink.  Why?  Because though His body was dying on the cross, He was not “ready to perish.”  He is the Resurrection and the Life.  He is the God of the Living, not of the Dead.

Today, we have many other medications that take the place of “strong drink” and “wine” readily administered to the dying.  They don’t need alcohol.

But what of the second part of the verse?

and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts

This is still in the context of the condemned man.  It has nothing to do with Sally-I-Don’t-Get-Any-Respect.  It is not speaking of Joe-I-Can’t-Pay-My-Rent.   And the next verse proves this.

Proverbs 31:7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Let him drink, and forget his poverty

This is not speaking of someone who is poor.  Give alcohol to the poor?  That really doesn’t even make sense.  In Proverbs 23:21, we read:

Proverbs 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Proverbs 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

Drunkenness leads to poverty.  Why would someone give something that can bites like a serpent and stings like an adder to an impoverished person?

Let the unsaved drink their alcohol.  It is not for the saved.  The saved are not condemned.  There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus; who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit.

• Members

You've already chased away LauraJones and Candlelight... Who do you have in your sights now?

Nobody chased anybody off this site.....quit "sowing discord".  Enough is enough.

Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Proverbs 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Proverbs 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Proverbs 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

• Members

Another important fact that is easily seen (unless one has one's mind clouded by deception) in the statement

Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

is the obvious...  this cannot be speaking of drinking in moderation! 

Let him drink, and forget his poverty

Moderate drinking does not cause one to forget one's poverty.  Drinking to the point that one's mind is controlled by alcohol will though.

Fermented beverages were for the condemned.  And obviously, not to be administered in "moderation." Moderation is not even implied in Proverbs 31:6-7.

• Members

If I drink 1 12 ounce can of beer a day every day and no more am I comdemned?

God bless,
Larry

Proverbs 31:4 (KJV) 4 [it is] not for kings, O Lemuel, [it is] not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Proverbs 31:5 (KJV) 5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

Revelation 1:5 (KJV) 5 And from Jesus Christ, [who is] the faithful witness, [and] the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

Revelation 1:6 (KJV) 6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him [be] glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

It is not for kings.

Proverbs 20:1 (KJV) 1 Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise..

Proverbs 23:31 (KJV) 31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, [when] it moveth itself aright.

Proverbs 23:32 (KJV) 32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

It is not for us. It has tHe power to deceive. We are not even to look upon wine that is fermented.

• Members

That hardly answers my question.

God bless,

Larry

Let me ask you,

If you told your son to stay away from prostitutes, would you expect him to visit brothels on occasion?  And if you found that he was visiting brothels after you told him to stay away from prostitutes, would you be pleased with him?

God's Word says not to even look upon the wine when it is in its fermented state.  He said it is not for kings. 

Do you think that wisdom was put in the Bible just to fill empty space but not for man to walk in?

Proverbs 1:8-9 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.

The words in Proverbs are an ornament of grace and should not be forsaken.

• Members

Well, the question asked that SFIC quotes often is this: The list of those who will not inherit the Kingdom is far longer than drunkards. Matter of fact is covers every human born to date whether saved or not  (SFIC and Linda included).

The confusion is coming from whether SFIC believes that NO saved person is included in that list simply because in God's eyes once saved those sinner titles will never again apply to us: whether the saved person falls back into these sins or not.

So, if you ever again covet a possession, person, title or even the admiration of others over your "indepth knowledge" of Scripture, you have never been saved?

OR does the list not apply to any born again person since all their sin is covered?

Herein lies the accusations of heresy levied on you buddy. You sound as if you claim that any sin a believer commits after salvation then nullifies their salvation OR is proof positive that they were never truly saved to begin with.

You may not be a drunk SFIC but you are definitely on that list and I guarantee this. Say you ain't and we got a brand new accusation of heresy to levy on you.

• Members

Still does not answer my question.  However it does show me the purpose of your purpose in this thread.  Some seem to have an overwhelming desire to tear others down so that they can build themselves up in their own eyes.  I am sorry if this is too harsh but it needs to be said.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Proverbs 31:6-7 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Many today who profess to be Christians will often run to this verse as proof that alcoholic beverages are permissible to those who are downcast or depressed.  They will say, “See, the Bible says to give alcohol to one who is of a heavy heart.” 

But, the truth is, that is not speaking of the saved.  Rather, it is speaking of the condemned.  Notice the first part of the passage,.

obviously, taken the verse in it context, this is the same as giving somebody medication to dull the pain and give comfort in the last days, perhaps through a painful death. 

Sir, you have perverted Scripture on this site so much in the short 12 days I have been on here. You have twisted words to make fit your thinking. I have asked you in a private message, now I ask you publicly:

If wine means "grape juice" why the did Paul have to mention it that drinking grape juice in Romans 14 or Colossians 2, would be offensive to people. Or that in Timothy that elders would not be addicted or given to much grape juice?? It doesn't make sense and perverts the Scriptural content! Only Through the lens of alcoholic wine do these verses make sense.

BTW, proper Biblical interpretation would teach you that Proverbs are not book of laws!! it's a book of wisdom. Yes, alcoholism is bad(which those verse you quote are describing falling down drunks, not people enjoying God's gift responsibility) 

And your Leviticus passages are for the priest while on duty were they forbidden to drink. Might I recommend this book to you to aid in your contextualization of the bible? http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Bible-All-Worth/dp/0310246040

and you continue to harass people in an un- Christlike fashion 1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:        you have demonstrated neither

• Members

If I drink 1 12 ounce can of beer a day every day and no more am I comdemned?

God bless,

Larry

My late husband was told he could do that w/o condemnation....he's dead now....from ethanol toxicity (he drank himself to death).  Drinking in "moderation" is a joke.  Nobody knows "how much is too much".  That's why the Bible calls fermented/alcoholic wine a "mocker" and "strong drink" raging...which means it causes the person drinking it to be boisterous.(Proverbs 20:1).  How do you know when a "babe in Christ" sees you drinking that 1 12 oz. can of beer will choose to do the same (in "moderation") and by doing that will stumble and die from ethanol toxicity? 

There are so many warnings about the dangers alcohol consumption in Scripture, why would a born again Christian even "desire" to consume it?  Are we not "new creatures in Christ Jesus" (2 Cor. 5:17).  If one never ever takes that "first" drink, there is no danger of becoming a drunkard....and eventually physically dying from imbibing the stuff.  The "first" drink will not send a person to hell, but it will deceive (Proverbs 20:1; Proverbs 23:31-32) that they can consume alcoholic beverages without consequence...and that includes the lie of "drinking in moderation".

I watched a person destroy his life with alcohol and it was not a pretty sight.  And it all started with the "deceptive" first drink and the "drink in moderation" lie.

Archived