• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Just Having A Bud With A Friend?

• Members

1 Peter 4:1-4 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

"The Bible tells us not to get drunk, but never says we cannot drink in moderation." 

This is an argument that is used often among professing Christians who want to

a ) justify their own fleshly desire to consume alcohol
b ) justify a family member or friend who consumes alcohol
c ) avoid offending people they don't even know who drink alcohol

In light of the Apostle Peter's words written above, the three main reasons that people argue for "moderation" are totally bogus.

As we examine the verses above, we can come to no other conclusion than that "Christians are to abstain from drinking alcoholic beverage."

1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

In verse 1, we are simply told that because Christ suffered for us in the flesh, we should also suffer in the flesh.  This is not speaking of persecutions from outside sources.  It is speaking of the Christian giving up fleshly lusts.  The next verse affirms that is what the Apostle was trying to convey to the reader.

1 Peter 4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

We are not to seek to fulfill our own desires, but like Christ, we should have the attitude, "Not my will, but Thine."

John the Baptist preached the same message when he said, "
He must increase, but I must decrease.

We are to yield our bodies and our will to His will for us instead of seeking our own.

1 Peter 4:3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

In verse 3, the Apostle Peter makes it clear that the the consumption of alcoholic beverage was not a Christian practice.  It was named among the Gentiles.  Peter said that in his past,  (that is, before he was converted) he, and others participated in getting drunk, had pleasure in sinful immorality, drank at social gatherings, fought, and yes, even was guilty of idolatry.

The word translated "lasciviousness" is defined as unbridled lust
.  If some of those Jews of whom Peter was speaking desired something that was sinful, they did not hold back.  They went for it.  We are not told exactly what those "unbridled lusts were, only that they had such rebellious spirits that they gave in to those lusts.

"Excess of wine" refers to drinking alcohol in great quantities.  In other words, prior to their conversion some were drunkards.  They walked in excess of wine... it was like a lifestyle for them.

"Revellings" refers to riot.  Some of these people loved to fight, possibly because of their drunken spells

Proverbs 23:34-35 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

And yet, even though drunken stupors caused them to riot, they continued to walk in revellings... until their conversion.

"Banquetings" refers to social drinking; i.e., having a glass of wine or a bottle of beer with some friends.  Some of these men chose social drinking as a way of life. 

Proverbs 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

The wise king Solomon warned his son not to be among winebibbers.  And for good reason, "Evil communication corrupt good manners."  So many today see no problem with having a Bud with a friend.  Yet, in reality, they are sending a message to their friend that it is OK to drink alcohol when the Bible clearly tells the Christian to abstain. 

Albert Barnes says of the phrase "excess of wine":

The word here used (oinophlugia) occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. It properly means overflowing of wine, (oinos, wine, and phluo, to overflow;) then wine-drinking; drunkenness. That this was a common vice need not be proved. Multitudes of those who became Christians had been drunkards, for intemperance abounded in all the heathen world. It should not be inferred here from the English translation, ^excess of wine,' that wine is improper only when used to excess, or that the moderate use of wine is proper. Whatever may be true on that point, nothing can be determined in regard to it from the use of this word. The apostle had his eye on one thing-on such a use of wine as led to intoxication; such as they had indulged in before their conversion. About the impropriety of that, there could be no doubt. Whether any use of wine, by Christians or other persons, was lawful, was another question. It should be added, moreover, that the phrase ^excess of wine' does not precisely convey the meaning of the origi­nal. The word excess would naturally imply something more than was needful; or something beyond the proper limit or measure; but no such idea is in the original word.

Robinson's Lexicon of the New Testament defines the phrase "excess of wine" as:

wine-drinking, drunkenness, vinolency.

Again, we look to Albert Barnes' commentary for his comments on the word "banquetings.":  

The word here used (potos) occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. It means properly drinking; an act of drinking; then a drinking bout; drinking together. The thing forbidden by it is an assembling together for the purpose of drinking. There is nothing in this word refer­ring to eating, or to banqueting, as the term is now commonly employed. The idea in the passage is, that it is improper for Christians to meet together for the pur­pose of drinking-as wine, toasts, &c. The prohibition would apply to all those assemblages where this is understood to be the main object. It would forbid, there­fore, an attendance on all those celebrations in which drinking toasts is understood to be an essential part of the festivities, and all those where hilarity and joy fullness are sought to be produced by the intoxicating bowl. Such are not proper places for Christians.

1 Peter 4:3 clearly speaks for itself. By the very definition of the word "banquetings", it is impossible for Christians to justify the use of alcoholic beverages, a practice which the Word of God associates with those who know not Christ.

But after coming to faith in Christ, there ought to be a noticeable change.  We are in the world, but not of the world.  We are now to Walk in the Spirit; let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, etc..  And those Peter was addressing in the first few verses of his first epistle, chapter four clearly show that "those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh and the affections thereof."  Peter included himself when he declared "For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles,"... but that was in the past.

In conclusion, we see that the man who does not know God seeks to satisfy his own sinful appetites. But the Christian who has the mind of Christ seeks to walk contrary to the lusts of the flesh. The Christian does not live to gratify fleshly desires, but to accomplish the will of his Father in heaven.

Since the Apostle Peter reveals in verse 3 that we just examined that alcoholic beverages are condemned, no one can deny that this is one of the lusts of the flesh referred to here. Therefore when Peter earlier stated in 1 Peter 2:11, "abstain from fleshy lusts, which war against the soul," alcoholic beverages was one of the things that Peter told his readers to abstain from.

• Members

It's legal in Colorado now for anyone 21 and older two have two different kinds of Bud at the same time.

Ain't that something? They restrict law abiding firearms choices one day and legalize a gateway drug the next. That is liberal politics in a nutshell

• Members

SFIC, you don't need to carry on with your rebuttal post to Laura Jones, anymore.  She sent some of us private messages last night.  She left Online Baptist.  You were the "last straw" for her.  I hope you are proud of yourself.  *sarcasm*  And, BTW... please read your Bible more carefully.  The only thing that sends a person to hell is not believing on the Lord Jesus Christ.  That is it!  Our works don't matter to God.  Adding works to salvation is a very dangerous game.

• Members

One cannot be a drunkard and a Christian at the same time, candlelight.

The Bible says

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven.

1 Corinthians 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

If you think one can be a drunkard and at the same time be a Christian, it is you who needs to "read your Bible more closely."

• Members

One cannot be a drunkard and a Christian at the same time, candlelight.

The Bible says

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of Heaven.

1 Corinthians 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

If you think one can be a drunkard and at the same time be a Christian, it is you who needs to "read your Bible more closely."

You need to read and study your Bible more, SFIC.  You are a charismatic.  This is the same garbage I get from Pentacostals on Facebook.  I "rightly divide the word of truth."  You should do the same.  You are promoting heresy on OB.  Again, the only sin that puts a man/woman in hell is NOT believing on the Lord Jesus Christ as Personal Saviour.  You are adding "works" to that.  You are walking a deadly tightrope.

• Members

You need to read and study your Bible more, SFIC.  You are a charismatic.  This is the same garbage I get from Pentacostals on Facebook.  I "rightly divide the word of truth."  You should do the same.  You are promoting heresy on OB.  Again, the only sin that puts a man/woman in hell is NOT believing on the Lord Jesus Christ as Personal Saviour.  You are adding "works" to that.  You are walking a deadly tightrope.

I'm a charismatic because I quote Scripture that clearly says the unrighteous (which includes drunkards, by the way) will not inherit the kingdom of God?

IF I am a heritic for teaching that drunkards will not enter heaven, I am in good company.  The Apostle Paul was of the same mind as me.
ROFL.

• Members

Did you ignore DaveW's post?  Let me repeat it for you.  Please give all of us an answer, as your brilliant brain is aligned with those of the Angel Gabriel, as seen in Galations 2:20's sermon.  Now, you are also aligning yourself with the Apostle Paul.  What next, SFIC?  Are you also "The Great I Am" now?

"Is drunkenness a special sin distinct from normal sins, or does one have to be free from all sin to gain entry to the kingdom of God?"

• Members

Let's stop with the personal remarks and sarcastic comments, shall we? If you want to debate the OP, do it with Scripture.

I am not being sarcastic, Salyan.  He told Galations 2:20 that she needed to repent and that he was doing so with the Angel Gabriel.  He is now saying he is like the Apostle Paul.  I am just asking where he is going next in his journey through Biblical people?  I really would like to know.

• Members

One only misses everlasting life with Christ if one rejects Christ.

If one chooses to live in sexual immorality, one is rejecting Christ.
If one chooses to have idols, one is rejecting Christ.
If one is unfaithful to ones spouse, one is rejecting Christ.

If one is a sodomite, one is rejecting Christ.
If one is a thief, one is rejecting Christ.
If one is covetous, one is rejecting Christ.
If one is a drunkard, one is rejecting Christ.
If one is abusive, one is rejecting Christ.
If one is an extortioner, (there are a lot of these who profess to be Christians today) one is rejecting Christ.

If one chooses the cup of devils... that one is rejecting Christ.

• Members

I am not being sarcastic, Salyan.  He told Galations 2:20 that she needed to repent and that he was doing so with the Angel Gabriel.  He is now saying he is like the Apostle Paul.  I am just asking where he is going next in his journey through Biblical people?  I really would like to know.

I've been reading through your posts candlelight and all you have been doing is being sarcastic and bearing false witness against SFIC.  If you don't like what he says, put him on ignore.  If you would like, you can put me on ignore also.

• Members

I never compared myself to Gabriel either.  As a matter of fact, I never even mentioned Gabriel in my posts to Galations.  I quoted Jude 9 and then told Galations that I uttered the  same words that Michael uttered... "The Lord rebuke thee."

That is not comparing myself to Gabriel, nor is it comparing myself to Michael.

Galations was wrong, I rebuked her.  End of story.

Archived