Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Praying In The Holy Spirit

Rate this topic

Left the Bldg

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

John is correct.  Sometimes, when I pray, I don't know exactly how to pray for the burden I have in my heart.  The Holy Spirit already knows my heart, and already knows what my prayer is, even before I ask it.  That doesn't mean that we shouldn't do what the Book of James tells us, though.  The scripture in James says, "We have not because we ask not."  We are to do that, as well.  As long, as the asking isn't for something that is material, like a new car or something.

The "groanings" refer to the believer not knowing how to put their prayer into words.  That is done by the interceding of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit takes my prayers and gives them to God, even though I might not know the words to say.

Well it is often said that "groanings which cannot be uttered" can't be speaking in tongues because these groanings "cannot be uttered".
They are by definition not speaking anything vocally.

But it also is not talking about praying in the Spirit, but the Spirit interceding for us.

I went to "like" this but I filled my quota for today.  Exactly.  My Interent searches are written by charismatics.  LOL

I should continue with I Corinthians 13:9-10

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." ~ I Corinthians 13:9-10

However, maybe you are not speaking of tongues, Laura.  As I read Dave W's post, and it was not a post about tongues.  All I know is that, Charismatics talk about "praying in the Holy Spirit" and they are talking about praying in tongues.

Isn't praying IN the Holy Spirit is different than OF the Holy Spirit?  We are to worship in the the Holy Spirit, wouldn't praying by a saved person be "in the Spirit?"

John 4:23-24 (KJV) But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 

Isn't praying IN the Holy Spirit is different than OF the Holy Spirit?  We are to worship in the the Holy Spirit, wouldn't praying by a saved person be "in the Spirit?"

John 4:23-24 (KJV) But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 

I  thought so, Galations.  My pastor has preached on charismatics "praying in the Holy Spirit" and how it is not Biblical.  I believe "in the Spirit" is the correct Biblical term.  I would "like" your post, but my quota on likes is up for the day.  :)

"For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you." ~ Matthew 10:20

Edited by candlelight

Concerning Romans 8:26 -- "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

The main statement of this verse is that the indwelling Holy Spirit of God helps us in the realm of our infirmities.  Grammatically, the phrase "the Spirit" serves as the subject of the statement, indicating the One who is engaging in the action of the statement; the word "helpeth" serves as the action verb of the statement, indicating the action and work in which the Holy Spirit engages; and the phrase "our infirmities" serves as the object of the statement, indicating the problem for which the Holy Spirit provides His help.

Then the statement of this verse proceeds with an explanation for this main statement, indicated by the explanatory conjunction "for" with which the remainder of the verse begins.  Grammatically, this explanation is presented through a compound statement of contrast, as indicated by the contrasting conjunction "but" later in the verse.  Even so:

On the one hand, "we know not what we should pray for as we ought." -- This provides the explanation for "our infirmities" in this context.

But

On the other hand, "the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." -- This provides the explanation for the Spirit's  

helping in this context.

So then, the arena of "our infirmities" in this context is that we believers so very often do not actually know "what we should pray for as we ought" to pray.  It is important to recognize that this explanation concerning "our infirmities" does not indicate that we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that we do not know what to pray as we ought.  In so many cases, we should be praying; but we do not even correctly know the right request for which we ought to be praying.  Yea, in so many cases, because we do not correctly know the right request for which to pray, we actually make the wrong request in our praying.  (Now, is that not a spiritually sobering thought.)  It is also worthy of notice that there actually is a correct "what" (that is -- a correct request) for which we ought to be praying.  In every given case of pray, there is a specific prayer request that is correct, that ought to be prayed.  Yet in our infirmity we so often do not know what it is, and therefore do not pray what ought to be prayed.

Therefore, the indwelling Holy Spirit of God "helpeth our infirmities" in this realm of prayer.  How then does the Holy Spirit provides this help?  He Himself "maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."  Now, in order to understand this explanation correctly, it is important for us to recognize who is the grammatical subject of this statement.  Indeed, the phrase "the Spirit itself" serves to reveal this subject; thus we must understand that it is Holy Spirit Himself who is doing the action of this statement.  What then is the action of this explanatory statement?  The word "maketh" serves as the verb of the statement.  Furthermore, the word "intercessions" serves as the object of this verb, revealing that which the Holy Spirit is making.  He is making intercessions.  He is the One doing the interceding. 

Finally, this explanatory statement adds three modifying phrases to grant further understanding of the Holy Spirit's interceding work.  First, the prepositional phrase "for us" reveals the individuals for whom the Holy Spirit is making these intercessions.  He is making them for us believers, specifically within this context -- when we are engaging in our "infirmity" praying.  Second, the prepositional phrase "with groanings" reveals the manner by which the Holy Spirit is making these interecessions.  He is making them with a manner of groaning.  Now, it is important to recognize that according to the grammar of the statement, the Holy Spirit Himself is the One doing the "groanings," not us.  The "groanings" is the manner in which He, the Holy Spirit, makes intercession for us.  Third, the noun clause, "which cannot be uttered," serves as an adjectival clause to modify and describe the noun "groaning."  These groaning with which the Holy Spirit makes His intercession for us are a type of groanings "which cannot be uttered."  Now, this phrase cannot be indicating that these groanings "cannot be uttered" by the Holy Spirit Himself; for the statement is revealing that He is the very One making intercessions for us with these very groanings.  Rather, this phrase must be understood to indicate that the groaning "cannot be uttered" by us humans.  Indeed, we are not even capable to utter these groanings.  Whatever form these groaning of the Holy Spirit might take, it is impossible for us humans to make them.

Now, this grammatical understanding of this verse serves as a wonderful encouragement for us weak, faulty, unwise believers in our prayer lives.  Yet this grammatical understanding of this verse also serves to defeat the false Charismatic doctrine of praying in some spiritual prayer language of groanings and babblings. 

I pray that this explanation of Romans 6:26 will be found to be helpful and good unto the use of edifying.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, I saw that with Dave W's post and NN above.  There posts are what you are looking for with your question.

People who believe the gifts ceased have to go through all sorts of contortions to prove it.  The bible doesn't say that tongues have ceased.  Just simply believe what the bible says and you won't have to waste mental energy to make it say what it doesn't.

People who believe the gifts ceased have to go through all sorts of contortions to prove it.  The bible doesn't say that tongues have ceased.  Just simply believe what the bible says and you won't have to waste mental energy to make it say what it doesn't.

Yes, the Bible says that tongues have ceased, Donillo.

Praying in tongues was for a sign for those who didn't believe.

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away." ~ I Corinthians 13:8

"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophecing serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe." ~ I Corinthians 14:22

Yes, the Bible says that tongues have ceased, Donillo.

Praying in tongues was for a sign for those who didn't believe.

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away." ~ I Corinthians 13:8

"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophecing serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe." ~ I Corinthians 14:22

Donillo is set in his ways candlelight...

Just simply believe what the bible says and you won't have to waste mental energy to make it say what it doesn't.

Donillo, in my response to you in the "Gift of Tongues" thread, I showed what the Bible says in reference to your assertions about tongues; however, it obviously didn't change your belief to see what the Bible says.  You made several assertions which were false according to the clear reading of God's word.

I'm not trying to be unkind or rude, but it's obvious that your belief is in a teaching rather than God's word.  

Donillo is set in his ways candlelight...

Donillo, in my response to you in the "Gift of Tongues" thread, I showed what the Bible says in reference to your assertions about tongues; however, it obviously didn't change your belief to see what the Bible says.  You made several assertions which were false according to the clear reading of God's word.

I'm not trying to be unkind or rude, but it's obvious that your belief is in a teaching rather than God's word.  

Yes, I am aware of that No Nicolaitans.  He isn't the only member on OB who doesn't follow the Bible, though.

Sadly,there are times we all fall short of that...

Not when people preach "sinless perfection".  I have never fallen short of that, and I am sure you haven't either, HC.  I am just surprised that nothing has been done about a person promoting false doctrine on Online Baptist.  The numbres are down in membership from last year, and I understand why now.  I am going back to Facebook, b/c I can get that on there.  I thought OB would be different.  I was sadly mistaken.

• Lady Administrators

Candle, stop bringing that into so many threads. For starters, that's not what he was saying. And rest assured BroMatt has things well iin hand.

If you must leave, we will miss you. But know this:BriMatt explained why he believes the numbers were slightly down. And it had nothing to do with any members.

People aren't perfect. Not even Baptist Christians. We need to remember that and also remembet that Christ said we are to do unto others as we would they do to us. Not do to others what we think they did to us or someone else.

"Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Wise words it would behoove all of us to heed.

Candle, stop bringing that into so many threads. For starters, that's not what he was saying. And rest assured BroMatt has things well iin hand.

If you must leave, we will miss you. But know this:BriMatt explained why he believes the numbers were slightly down. And it had nothing to do with any members.

People aren't perfect. Not even Baptist Christians. We need to remember that and also remembet that Christ said we are to do unto others as we would they do to us. Not do to others what we think they did to us or someone else.

"Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Wise words it would behoove all of us to heed.

I couldn't agree with you more, HC.  I have posted that scripture twice in one week.  Obviously, it feel on his deaf ears.  The Bible tells us to mark false prophets.  I am not talking about perfection.  We are all far from that.  I am talking about a man who brings down this site with his angry posts to Christians.  I am tired of dealing with someone who "thinks" he is above everyone.  And, no one will do anything?  That is the problem I have.

• Lady Administrators

You are not aware of all that goes on, candle, so you can't rightly say noone does anything.

Continually bringing this up in threads which have nothing to do with it makes it look like you are on a vendetta. I know you dont want that. Lets get back on topic, my sweet friend And let BroMatt take care of problems instead of letting them get to us.

You are not aware of all that goes on, candle, so you can't rightly say noone does anything.

Continually bringing this up in threads which have nothing to do with it makes it look like you are on a vendetta. I know you dont want that. Lets get back on topic, my sweet friend And let BroMatt take care of problems instead of letting them get to us.

I have sent BroMatt a couple of private messages, and he assured me he will get on top of it.  Saylan asked me to post scripture, and I did.  It was also posted for the SDA man on the last thread.  I thought it was a perfect opportunity to clarify grace verses works.  It is not a vendetta.  I mark false prophets.  I have been told to do that, according to the Bible.  People look on OB and see false doctrine, such as what he posted about a person taking a "sip of alcohol" and going to hell.  I posted Proverbs 31:6-7, as well.  I even agreed with him, that a "sip of alcohol" can make someone intoxicated.  I have taken several courses on alcohol and drug abuse counseling.  However, Eternal Security of the believer, is correct Biblical doctrine.  LindaR said something to me in the last thread, and I asked for SFIC to clarify what he said.  I am waiting on a reply. 

I have sent BroMatt a couple of private messages, and he assured me he will get on top of it.  Saylan asked me to post scripture, and I did.  It was also posted for the SDA man on the last thread.  I thought it was a perfect opportunity to clarify grace verses works.  It is not a vendetta.  I mark false prophets.  I have been told to do that, according to the Bible.  People look on OB and see false doctrine, such as what he posted about a person taking a "sip of alcohol" and going to hell.  I posted Proverbs 31:6-7, as well.  I even agreed with him, that a "sip of alcohol" can make someone intoxicated.  I have taken several courses on alcohol and drug abuse counseling.  However, Eternal Security of the believer, is correct Biblical doctrine.  LindaR said something to me in the last thread, and I asked for SFIC to clarify what he said.  I am waiting on a reply. 

If you want to discuss Proverbs 31:6-7, open another thread on Proverbs 31:6-7.  Quit trying to hijack threads that have nothing to do with alcohol.  A response will not be forthcoming on this thread.

BTW, instead of this incessant "bashing" on all these threads, you could have asked SFIC to clarify what he meant a long time ago.  You may say that this is not a vendetta, but to me, SFIC and some others who have PMed me, it is a vendetta.

So, please open the thread and SFIC will respond there.

Edited by LindaR

If you want to discuss Proverbs 31:6-7, open another thread on Proverbs 31:6-7.  Quit trying to hijack threads that have nothing to do with alcohol.  A response will not be forthcoming on this thread.

BTW, instead of this incessant "bashing" on all these threads, you could have asked SFIC to clarify what he meant a long time ago.  You may say that this is not a vendetta, but to me, SFIC and some others who have PMed me, it is a vendetta.

So, please open the thread and SFIC will respond there.

After SFIC, said to the OP that what he posted is "SDA cultish trash"... I responded with the scipture that HC posted above.  Your husband opened the conversation with this LindaR.

One cannot mix the Law and Grace, which the SDA attempt to do.

And, of course, they judge the saved to be lost because the saved worship on Sunday (which the SDA sees as "the Mark of the Beast."
The SDA is a cult.

Please have SFIC respond to me on how a saved person "who takes a sip of alcohol" will end up in hell.  He opened the discussion with the law, not me.