• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Should A Christian Correct Another Christian?

Left the Bldg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Understand. The only difference is that I would have told her "Go talk to the Pastor" or "Maybe the Pastor can help you understand". I would want her to feel that she is in control of what she should do or not do. When an individual is placed in a situation where they along must make the decision; they are more apt to react instead of withdrawing into their pity party.

Ah, but in this case, I had already counseled her to do so - several times. She always had an excuse, and felt the pastor favored her hubby and wouldn't listen to her. So, I offered to go with her, kind of as moral support. She wasn't interested in that, though.  I never told her what she had to do. Just scripture. I had hoped that she would indeed act on it and was willing to silently stand by in support of her.

• Members

1 Corinthians 13

1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

This is the beginning of the chapter on love.

This verse begins with a picture that shows the importance of love in our speaking.

The sounding brass was a harsh bell type sound which was used in the markets to get attention.
The tinkling cymbal was a similar type thing.
The analogy is that of someone tyring to get attention for their "special deal".
It is like in a Public mall when a shop has a loudspeaker set up and a guy calling out trying to get people to come into the shop - for the majority of people it actually drives them to the other side of the mall.
It doesn't matter if it is a good deal - most people don't like the clashing sound of the messenger and so the information becomes useless.

It actually doesn't matter if the information is good - if it is not given in a spirit of love it sounds like a sounding brass to the hearer.

• Moderators

All depends on HOW the scriptures is point out!! I still believe that the Pastor is in the best position to do this.

There are several factors one must consider: How well do you know the individual: How grounded are they in the Word: Are they easy influenced: Are they easy offended: What is their opinion of you?:  Does the Pastor have guidelines in place on how to handle different situations? etc

Pointing out scripture and correcting at the same time can easily cause resentment.

There is also the factor of whether the one seeking to correct is really trying to help or just voicing their own frustrations.  :verymad:

• Members

Busybody's motivation.

I really wanted to "like" this post, Arbo.  I don't like when I reach my "like" quota for the day.  You are correct.  Some people have to put their :twocents: in a comment, for the sake of doing it, when they know it might cause hard feelings.  Many people love to cause division.  BTW, I am not speaking of anyone in particular, in this forum, just a general observation about people in life.

• Members

Or displaying their 'Holier than Thou' attitude.

Are you now saying that to speak out against sin is "displaying a Holier than Thou attitude"?  Therefore you "label" such a person a "legalist" and/or a "Pharisee"?

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2 Timothy 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Do you not warn someone who is about to walk off the edge of a cliff?

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

• Members

Are you now saying that to speak out against sin is "displaying a Holier than Thou attitude"?  Therefore you "label" such a person a "legalist" and/or a "Pharisee"?

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2 Timothy 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

This topic is not to say one should not rebuke, reprove and exhort.  It is the manner in which one goes about doing it whether tears someone down or lifts them up.  

• Members

No.

• Members

Or displaying their 'Holier than Thou' attitude.

Hmmmm - I'm not certain, but I think he is saying that some people display a "holier than thou attitude".

It can sometimes be hard to tell exactly what someone means, but it can help if you read what they actually write.

Archived