• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Should A Christian Correct Another Christian?

Left the Bldg

• Members

Attitude is important.  

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Speak the truth in love.

Ephesians 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Do not have a critical spirit.

Galatians 5:14-15  For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

Keep the spirit of unity.

Ephesians 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Judge rightly.

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Only God judges accurately.

James 4:11-12 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.  12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

Do not be legalistic.  

Colossians 2:20-23  Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;

Do not pass judgment on disputable matters.

Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

Do not judge God's servants.

Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Romans 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it love not to warn and correct? Of course not!

The fact is, I was speaking the truth in love. But your opposition to that truth caused you to see the correction as not being in a spirit of love.

Galatians 2:11 (KJV)
But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

Many might say that since Paul withstood Peter he was not doing so out of love... But he was. Love warns. Love corrects.

• Members

If that Christian is teaching contrary to the Word of God and promoting something that God's Word condemns, that Christian should be corrected. Sadly, you did not receive the correction in the other thread.

Sadly, SFIC you were not correcting me but criticizing and making false accusations.  I am going to prove to you my Christianity and character by not getting sucked into that again. 

• Members

Is it love not to warn and correct? Of course not!

The fact is, I was speaking the truth in love. But your opposition to that truth caused you to see the correction as not being in a spirit of love.

Galatians 2:11 (KJV)
But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

Many might say that since Paul withstood Peter he was not doing so out of love... But he was. Love warns. Love corrects.

Peter was being a hypocrite and trying to gain public approval rather than stand for what he believes.

• Administrators

The Bible tells us to judge righteous judgment and gives principles by which to live. We do have problems when someone puts extra-biblical requirements on things.  We also have problems when someone takes things personally when not intended as personal.  Arguing is a two-way street and both parties are usually at fault at least in a small way (and I'm speaking even about myself, so please don't anyone think I'm pointing fingers [that should'nt even have to be said on a forum, but, again, too often we take disagreement as personal attack], please).

And now I'm going to intervene as a moderator.  This is not going to turn into an argument thread between the two of you.  Either take it private or quit (I mean quit arguing).  SFIC is correct. Love warns and corrects. Laura is correct. Attitude is important.  You both win. 

• Members

For anyone reading this and may have read the thread on alcohol, which is now locked, can honestly say I was promoting alcohol? I said I don't drink nor did I condone getting drunk.  Anyway, this thread is not about alcohol so I will not speak on that anymore. 

• Members

The Bible tells us to judge righteous judgment and gives principles by which to live. We do have problems when someone puts extra-biblical requirements on things.  We also have problems when someone takes things personally when not intended as personal.  Arguing is a two-way street and both parties are usually at fault at least in a small way (and I'm speaking even about myself, so please don't anyone think I'm pointing fingers [that should'nt even have to be said on a forum, but, again, too often we take disagreement as personal attack], please).

And now I'm going to intervene as a moderator.  This is not going to turn into an argument thread between the two of you.  Either take it private or quit (I mean quit arguing).  SFIC is correct. Love warns and corrects. Laura is correct. Attitude is important.  You both win. 

My goal is not to win.  I posted this thread for myself so I can be in the right attitude when discussing topics.  I'm sorry but some people do make personal assaults on others on this forum so how do you not take that personally?

• Administrators

My goal is not to win.  I posted this thread for myself so I can be in the right attitude when discussing topics.  I'm sorry but some people do make personal assaults on others on this forum so how do you not take that personally?

Well, the thing about it is that this looks an awful lot like a public rebuke (and, well, rebuke is biblical...but I think taking it private might resolve things a bit better) to SFIC because of the argument you guys had in the now-locked thread.  You disagreed with him, and then allowed it to become personal. I understand, honestly, how it can be when we believe something strongly and are trying to get our point across but someone disagrees with us.  And SFIC should not have said you were condoning alcohol .  Mayhap stating it something like "it could be construed as" doing such would be less likely to sound like an attack, I don't know. (and post #10 looks pretty much like you're encouraging folks to join the argument  :icon_smile: )

As I said, the Bible tells us to judge righteous judgment - and gives us principles by which to live.  Standing on those principles does not make one a legalist nor does it mean one is judging God's servants. However, the way in which we present things is vital, as you pointed out in your OP.  Something that far too many Christians forget about or completely disregard.

• Members

I want to be clear as to my intentions for posting this thread.  It is not because of what happened in one particular thread or between particular people but multiple threads and multiple people I have been involved with and in and some I have not.  In the short time I've been on this forum, several threads had to be locked.  I think we all need this post as a reminder that we are having discussions with other brothers and sisters and we should treat them as such.

Archived