• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Dressing Down To Go To Church: An Audience With The King Of Kings

RSS Robot

• Members

Wow! Everybody at once!?!
Chapter and verse please? What do you call giving God your best? I think I read somewhere that if we trusted God through faith, why do we try an please God with our flesh.
I ask again, is it more important to look a certain way or come
To church with the right attitude,seeking God?
IMHO, society is ever changing, evolving if you will, ( not in a Darwinian sense). We are not the same society we were 70 yrs ago, we're not even the same society we were in the 90's. Technology , commerce everything. We don't have the same styles if clothing music, books etc;
Clothing styles have changed. Do we go back to the 50's? How about we go back to the turn of the century with the overcoat and top hats? Why lets go back to the 1700's with tight pants and powdered wigs? Where do we go?
Look we're changing, But the Gospel transcends everything, no matter what we wear.

The ROOT of the problem!! Hopefully I'll never come to the point that I allow society to dictate how I worship and served God and how I live my daily life. Sadly we can see this creeping in more and more of our churches. Society may change; but God does not. His Word is forever settled in heaven.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really didn't intend for this to sound mean. That's the problem with forums is you can't hear the words. We're all naked before God anyway. The dress issue as well as the alcohol issue is something that an individual who is saved will have to be convicted about from the inside. Our God saves the individual personally. Our responsibility is our own. Conviction and priorities play a huge role in our faith walk. Someone who is convicted about an idea will rarely be persuaded by man. I do believe there is a right and wrong, righteousness and unrighteousness, holy and unholy. I fair better not drinking and dressing up for church....that's my convictions. Sorry to hinder a brothers walk with God if I have done so.

• Members

I really didn't intend for this to sound mean. That's the problem with forums is you can't hear the words. We're all naked before God anyway. The dress issue as well as the alcohol issue is something that an individual who is saved will have to be convicted about from the inside. Our God saves the individual personally. Our responsibility is our own. Conviction and priorities play a huge role in our faith walk. Someone who is convicted about an idea will rarely be persuaded by man. I do believe there is a right and wrong, righteousness and unrighteousness, holy and unholy. I fair better not drinking and dressing up for church....that's my convictions. Sorry to hinder a brothers walk with God if I have done so.

I cannot speak for others; but you are not hindering my walk. This forum should be a place where we can discuss various things; that will help us in our walk. With that said: in all honesty; I must say that some of the things you say are in contrast to what I believe. We should be able to give and take, and do it in exhibiting brotherly love towards each other.

Every once in a while we may get on each others nerves; but usually we end up still being friends. As they say; the water is just fine so just jump on in.

• Members

I was really referring to Jeffery whom I feel I may have hurt. Sorry.

P.S. Lots of people wear jeans to our church as well and we get along great.

Like I said it's an inward conviction.

Mine came when I was studying the old testament and saw how much the priest had to put on just to get close to God to atone for the sins of the whole nation of Israel. That just touched my heart from the aspect of service and dedication. I figured it was the least I could do to dress up a little.

• Members

I was really referring to Jeffery whom I feel I may have hurt. Sorry.
P.S. Lots of people wear jeans to our church as well and we get along great.
Like I said it's an inward conviction.
Mine came when I was studying the old testament and saw how much the priest had to put on just to get close to God to atone for the sins of the whole nation of Israel. That just touched my heart from the aspect of service and dedication. I figured it was the least I could do to dress up a little.

No need for an apology, I'm from the East Coast and this isn't nothing I am offended by, but I do really appreciate your comment. I shows your heart. I do plan on answering all of your post when I get home tonight.
One last question and we'll finish up later( I should have asked this first, my apologies)
In what way does your dress convey the message of the Gospel? How is it lived out? Discuss;)

• Members

Amen, paid4.  "Conviction" is the key word.

• Members
Jeffrey, on 03 Jan 2014 - 8:13 PM, said:

No need for an apology, I'm from the East Coast and this isn't nothing I am offended by, but I do really appreciate your comment. I shows your heart. I do plan on answering all of your post when I get home tonight.
One last question and we'll finish up later( I should have asked this first, my apologies)
In what way does your dress convey the message of the Gospel? How is it lived out? Discuss;)

To me it's all about perception. How do the unsaved see me on Sunday vs.other days of the week. Do they think there's something different. At the same time if I see that same person in public when I'm dressed casual and witness to them, they already have a certain way they see me. If I talk cleanly people know there's a difference. It's the same thing if I smile and am happy all the time. People see that. The key is during the week when I am "discovered" in my casuals am I approachable. I think the hardest thing is to keep from becoming "better" than someone else in your own mind. A humble heart is the key here. After all, Jesus sees the heart. If you're wearing the good stuff on Sunday so someone else can see and approve then don't do it at all, wear your shorts. If you go in jeans and feel guilty the dress up.

• Members

And where are these expectations put us that we have to look nice? What about our brothers in poor third world countries, they are not wearing suits?

Many of them if you look, have very nice native dress costume. Some make their own fabrics. Some dress much nicer than us. in their own non European cultures.

• Members

Many of them if you look, have very nice native dress costume. Some make their own fabrics. Some dress much nicer than us. in their own non European cultures.

In fact, here is an article on women traveling alone particularly in third world countries and the rule seems to be cover up! If not, you are a target for rape.

http://www.pacsafe.com/blog/8-travel-tips-for-the-solo-female-in-third-world-countries/

• Members

I think it's been posted more than once that it's about wearing one's best. I know a great number of missionaries in third world countries, and the people who come to church there (even the lost, btw) dress in their best.  No, not suits. But their best.  Out of respect for the fact that they are coming to worship God together.

Our bodies are God's temple. Somehow, when looking at the instructions God gave for the tabernacle, I'm thinking He wants our bodies to be dressed well.  No, not Armani.  I don't live in a third world country, and my hubby can't afford Armani.  But he always looks neat, clean, and put together (even when he goes to work, in jeans, he's not slobby looking) in his best.  And I guarantee his best is affordable for most people.

Chapter and verse,please? Can I ask at the risk of being sarcastic, was Andre' Agassi right when he said "Image is everything"?

• Members

I just got back from Cameroon. The thing about that particular third-world country is - when adults come to church, they wear their best. It might be a suit. It might be jeans. It might be an African shirt or dress. It might even be an aviator's hat. (Yes, I really saw that. :)) But it is their best. 

Why does someone always bring up third-world countries in questions like this?  That's like your mother saying "Finish up because children in Africa are starving." Whether or not we finish our plate will have no impact on the children in Africa. And what those children in Africa wear to church has nothing to do with what we wear. But if you really want to go by their example, there it is. And sometimes it puts us first-worlders to shame.  (Note: to be completely honest, the children in Sabga wear what they have. That is not always so nice. But if they're at church, it's usually  because they brought themselves - and their siblings - without their parents even being in attendance. Another thing to put us to shame.)

So If a person from France,Spain,Japan , Nigeria or from anywhere come to church in their best clothes, Do you think God is impressed? What if they sit through the sermon and scoff in their hearts, does their dress nullify that attitude?

• Members

You seem to be missing the point that everyone is making.
NO ONE HERE as far as I know has said, nor believes that the outside is more important than the inside.
In fact I don't see anyone here saying the inside is irrelevant.

What has been said is that a right relationship inside will show on the outside.

That DOESN'T mean by wearing suit, but by a will to honour our master as anyone would honour their master.

It doesn't need a scripture verse that says "thou shalt dress you best".

It is about basic respect.

If I were called upon to meet the Prime Minister (or any national leader) I would dress in more than grotty jeans and a torn t shirt, even if I didn't like the guy.

When I go to a job interview I wear a shirt and tie - out of respect for a potential employer.

Any man should dress in a way that shows respect for the Lord if he is going to meet with the Lord in His house.

But the way he dresses does not affect his salvation.

I am wearing jeans right now, but when I put on a shirt, tie, dress pants, and black shoes to go to church I do not somehow become more spiritual because of it.
I do it because I want to show respect for my Lord.
And my church does not tell people what they must wear. Where we live is fairly warm so most men do not wear a tie and none of us regularly wear a jacket.

I have a friend who was a missionary in New Caledonia - there formal dress consist of a tie and whatever you normally wear. At a town meeting the men turn up often with no shirt, a wrap type skirt, and a tie.
My friend does not wear a tie over there, but they all do when they come to church.
He said it is funny to see - bare feet, skirt, no shirt,..... & tie. :lol:

• Members

We dress the way we do because in our American culture,(my husband and I) it says we are different, we are a peculiar people. I dress in a denim dress or a jumper dress with pockets when I am at home even though only the goats and rabbits will see me, and the dogs, and it doesn't matter to them. Then maybe only my husband will be the only human that comes around here for several days. But if some stranger does come by, I am ready for them.

As for church, right now we don't have running water and must go to the local gymn for a 2ce weekly shower. Now in the winter, our system is frozen and in fact I just washed two 5 gallon buckets of dishes outside by the water tank in cold water. In spite of that, we manage to dress clean in our thrift store clothes for church. And I dress in church clothes just to go shopping, because if we want to meet people in public, we smile and present our best to THEM. Because that may be  the only representative of Christ they may have. My husband did a sermon years ago that it isn't God we are trying to impress, but the lost- they need to know you care enough about THEM to dress up to please THEM. I learned this years ago as a nurse's aide- to pick out cheerful colors and patterns and smile to make our patients feel better. And to dress respectfully.

I just finished a 3 day orientation and it is yet another nursing home and we are told to dress respecfully. Not full of tattoos and piercings- with the crack showing, yes believe it or not, the fashions of rear crack showing has come to the nursing uniforms. Thus, i make my own dress jumpers now,

• Members

Yeah, we're ganging up.  :nuts:

I believe I referenced at least that our bodies are God's temple?  I thought for sure it would be recognized as being from scripture, but here it is: 1 Cor. 6:19, 20.  

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I'll keep this in mind if I decide to have sex with temple prostitutes......this has nothing to do with our wardrobe

So - we are to glorify God in our spirit - attitude. Yes, attitude is very important.  And quite often attitude can be seen by the way one dresses. 

Yes and somewhat agree, different dress standards for different cultures. I dont expect a "southern belle' to have the same standards as a girl from New York or a girl from Hawaii to have the same standards as  a girl from Texas. different cultures would dictate taste or style.

your getting warmer,..... they were not showing love for one another is another thing

I also referenced the tabernacle. Those verses will be found in Ex. 25-31.  Very explicit instructions as to how to dress the tabernacle, with gold, the colors purple, blue, and red (the colors of royalty), etc. Specific types of skins, dyed a certain way, etc.  And then we could go on to the temple beginning in 1 Kings 5.  Very elaborately decorated.  

The tabernacle was the precursor to the temple, and the temple was the precursor to the time when the Holy Spirit would begin to indwell believers: whose bodies are the temple of God.  

But those ceremonial laws were done away with at Calvary, Christ is the fulfillment of that now.

What is our best (I don't think giving our best was mentioned, but rather dressing our best)?  That would depend on each individual, wouldn't it?  Some can afford very nice best. Others can't.  But clean and neat. Purposely dressing shabby doesn't bring honor to the Lord.  If all one has (and this would go to the third world comparison) was "shabby", that is their best. Right?  So, for an American Christian to dress shabby when they don't need to it is not their best, but rather a statement on their attitude.  If jeans are all one can afford (and I know for a fact that if someone can afford jeans, they can afford dress slacks - the jeans we bought our son for Christmas, even at half price, cost a bit more than the slacks in the same store...), then that is their best.

can you please show me verse that tells us to give it our best? I keep hearing that but what comes to my mind is

Galatians  O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

I dont see dress standards in there

• Members

The ROOT of the problem!! Hopefully I'll never come to the point that I allow society to dictate how I worship and served God and how I live my daily life. Sadly we can see this creeping in more and more of our churches. Society may change; but God does not. His Word is forever settled in heaven.

so you worship like they did 20 years ago? or 50 yrs ago? 100?  LIFE isnt the same for everybody, unless you are going to pack up and hide from society? The very music in your church was borne out of the culture. the fact that we are having this discussion proves you let society dictate what you do. the question is how does it please God?

Archived