• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Dressing Down To Go To Church: An Audience With The King Of Kings

RSS Robot

• Members

There is also the factor I mentioned in another thread, that of folks not owning suits these days. In this rural area there are many folks who don't own suits. When they dress their best, they put on their best blue jeans and whatever their best shirt happens to be, whether that be a flannel shirt, t-shirt or polo.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is hard to grip the Kangaroo between your legs when you are riding in a suit - jeans have a better "hold" on the fur.
Kangaroos generally don't like saddles so most of us ride bareback.
That is why most of us wear jeans everywhere.
But I do tuck my shirt in when I go to church.

;)

• Members

There is also the factor I mentioned in another thread, that of folks not owning suits these days. In this rural area there are many folks who don't own suits. When they dress their best, they put on their best blue jeans and whatever their best shirt happens to be, whether that be a flannel shirt, t-shirt or polo.

Times have certainly changed.  It wasn't too long ago that a man owned at least one suit. 

I saw your post in the other thread, John.  I thought of my oldest brother.  He didn't wear a suit to my mom's funeral b/c he doesn't own one.  He looked nice, though.  He had a nice ironed pair of Dockers on, a nice buttoned down shirt with a tie, nice shoes and a good coat.

• Members

I've seen people dress from casual to slob for job interviews and then heard them complain that "how I dress shouldn't matter". Of course they didn't get hired either and were upset about it (and I'm not talking about at a construction job-site trailer either).

Many times it's not about "I don't see a requirement concerning...." it's about "I should be able to do what I want to" or "my attitude should be allowed to show and not be interfered with".

It is all about self and not about God attitude.  Reality is it is ALL about Him, amen!

Hebrews 12:2-3 (KJV) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. 

Many faint and weak Christians today who look to others to measure up and not upon God.

• Moderators

Most suits I've owned came from a Thrift Shop. Its not so much of what is shown on the outside; its showing respect by wearing the best you have (or can get) to the church house.

Pretty much all mu suits are from thrift stores-the difficult thing is, being a man of, shall we say, heroic proportions, (heh) it can be difficult to find suits in my size. Us man-sized men tend to keep our stuff until its unwearable anymore. Usually if I find some suits in my size, I figure someone died.

• Members

My Uncle Jaybird and Aunt Willey didn't get indoor plumbing till the 70's (we were WAY back in the hills).

My folks didn't get theirs until after I left home in '65. We lived over the ridge from Mud Hollow!h

• Moderators

Pretty much all mu suits are from thrift stores-the difficult thing is, being a man of, shall we say, heroic proportions, (heh) it can be difficult to find suits in my size. Us man-sized men tend to keep our stuff until its unwearable anymore. Usually if I find some suits in my size, I figure someone died.

Grr-ooaannn.....   :shootme:

• Members

My folks didn't get theirs until after I left home in '65. We lived over the ridge from Mud Hollow!h

Correction: We did have running water to the kitchen sink; which happed around 1955. I hear people talking about the good old days; I'm happy we have what we have!!!

• Members

The funny thing is that airplane passengers have to be dressed a cretain way, golfers have to have certain attire in order to get onto the golf course, nice restraunts have nice dressed people, atheletes have uniforms for crying out loud. Why is it that the only people that gripe and complain about dressing up is Christians.

Archived