• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Dressing Down To Go To Church: An Audience With The King Of Kings

RSS Robot

• Members
January 2, 2014 (Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org)

The following is by Pastor Buddy Smith, Grace Baptist Church, Malanda, Queensland, Australia --

zz10418966_s
We almost never hear anything said these days about how we should dress when we go to church. Shorts, muscle shirts, t-shirts, shirt tails hanging out like we used to see lazy louts wearing, see-through dresses, miniskirts, spaghetti strap dresses, bare feet (for grown ups!), scruffy jeans, almost anything goes.

I fear we will soon see pajamas worn to church, just in case the sermon is boring and the wearer decides to catch up on the sleep they missed on Saturday night when the teens had an all night movie blitz!

Most preachers are running scared, and get the shakes whenever God speaks to them about the need for sermons on certain topics, like the way Christians dress.

I have a theory that you can tell how secure a pastor is in his church by whether he is courageous enough to preach on the C4 topics. C4 topics are those explosive subjects that tend to blow pastors clean out of their pulpits. Subjects like Giving, Witnessing to the Lost, Missions, Church Attendance, How to Raise Your Kids, Rock Music, Fasting and Prayer, Why Christians Should Avoid Hollywood Like the Plague, Total Abstinence from Alcohol, Gambling, TV, Addiction to Social Media, Separation in All Its Forms, Why Holiness is Not Legalism, etc.

But the most divisive subject of all is probably How Christians Should Dress When They Come to Church. If pastors want to save money on air conditioning the church during the summer, just let them preach a three-month series on Christian Standards of Dress and the temperature will drop by at least twenty five degrees the first Sunday and stay there till Christmas.

View the full article

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not sure what's funny?

I'm laughing b/c he looks like a total slob, HC.  Is this the kind of dress that IFB's are wearing to church service?  Did you see my post in the "hello" greeting for Jeffrey?  This is exactly what I am talking about.  On Wednesday's we meet in yet another place.  I am biting my tongue on how a lot of men are dressed in blue jeans.  The women look the same, dressed in long skirts or dresses, but some ot the men?  Should I say something to the pastor?

• Administrators

Oh, ok. That's not a pic if the pastor, though. It's a pic of what so many consider appropriate church-wear.

I don't know if you should talk to the pastor about it...what does your hubby say?

Allen - I don't know of anyone who would kick out a little girl for that. But I do know many who have bought clothes for people in need. Yes, there are people who can't dress fancy. But it is a truth that too manyChristians don't even try to dress nicely...or as nicely as they can afford, anyway.

If all someone has is a pair of jeans, by all means wear 'em. But if they can dress up a bit for other things surely they can for church.

• Members

Oh, ok. That's not a pic if the pastor, though. It's a pic of what so many consider appropriate church-wear.

I don't know if you should talk to the pastor about it...what does your hubby say?

Allen - I don't know of anyone who would kick out a little girl for that. But I do know many who have bought clothes for people in need. Yes, there are people who can't dress fancy. But it is a truth that too manyChristians don't even try to dress nicely...or as nicely as they can afford, anyway.

If all someone has is a pair of jeans, by all means wear 'em. But if they can dress up a bit for other things surely they can for church.

Thank God, HC!  I really thought it was a picture of an Australian IFB pastor.  :coverlaugh:

Joe needed to use the computer before he went to work this morning, and saw what I posted.  First, he jokingly called me a "Pharisee."  We agreed that the men coming in blue jeans are coming from work.  I get that.  He said he will run it past his dad, (our deacon) first b/c he has a feeling that this has been talked about before.  It all started with our church property that isn't built yet.  Many men began wearing blue jeans to our property on Wed., because after service, we all worked on the property.  In the colder months, on Wednesday, we are in a Lutheran church that we rent.  Some of us meet in a library room and either sit around the table or sit on couches, while we give prayers and praises and read and study a book of the Bible together.  The other church members are working in Master's Club in the church basement.

HC, is 100% correct, Allen.  I am talking about men who own nice cars, trucks, tools, hobbies, etc.  They have also been saved for years.  I think they should wear some nicer pants, like Dockers, to church for Wednesday service.  They are just gettting slack, for reasons I mentioned above.  And, HC my pastor isn't as strict as his father was.  He is more laid back, which is a good thing... but I believe many people take advantage of that, sometimes.  This is my observation after being under the preaching of his dad, and another strict preacher at the other IFB church we went to for four years.

• Members

i know her dad he. let say he won't help his kids to much. i know we need to dress better but i was making i point jesus help the poor. her dad not poor.

• Administrators

i know her dad he. let say he won't help his kids to much. i know we need to dress better but i was making i point jesus help the poor. her dad not poor.

Your point was spot-on, too.  Too many Christians are too busy to notice the poor who really need help - like that little girl.  Sadly, being poor doesn't always just mean money or things!

• Members

I'm laughing b/c he looks like a total slob, HC.  Is this the kind of dress that IFB's are wearing to church service?  Did you see my post in the "hello" greeting for Jeffrey?  This is exactly what I am talking about.  On Wednesday's we meet in yet another place.  I am biting my tongue on how a lot of men are dressed in blue jeans.  The women look the same, dressed in long skirts or dresses, but some ot the men?  Should I say something to the pastor?

not two many women in are church wear dresses on sunday or wednesday i don't know why the don't it a IFB church

• Administrators

not two many women in are church wear dresses on sunday or wednesday i don't know why the don't it a IFB church

It's becoming more and more acceptable that women don't need to wear dresses because there are ladies pants available.  I told my hubby the other day that a thought struck me: what are we going to do when men start wearing dresses more than they are now (and, believe me, they are).  Then, women will wear both and men will wear both. No gender identity.  But that's okay with most Christians because society changes and the Bible doesn't say "thou shalt" specifically on types of clothes.  :unsure:

• Members

Your point was spot-on, too.  Too many Christians are too busy to notice the poor who really need help - like that little girl.  Sadly, being poor doesn't always just mean money or things!

see look better now she older and dresses better i'm good friend with her sister. her dad i work with so i know him to he not i bad men he just that way 

• Members

I have always felt people first come to church as they are ..... jeans, t-shirts, casual attire.  However, once they know who Jesus is (not a set "time frame" but different walk for all) and study His Word it changes all aspects of their life, including clothing.  Coming to church is coming to God's house and the OT and NT does have some things to day about dress as we are always walking billboards for Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:31 (KJV) Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 

We are the temple of Christ and not our own any longer.  That should change our dress and outward appearance as well.

Romans 12:1-2 (KJV) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 

• Members

The church I attend a lot of us men wears suits on Sundays. However, on Wednesday night I'm the only one who wears a suit. I don't say anything to others about it; however, I've got my gospel shotgun loaded and ready to go!! :boxing: 

• Moderators

I've seen people dress from casual to slob for job interviews and then heard them complain that "how I dress shouldn't matter". Of course they didn't get hired either and were upset about it (and I'm not talking about at a construction job-site trailer either).

Many times it's not about "I don't see a requirement concerning...." it's about "I should be able to do what I want to" or "my attitude should be allowed to show and not be interfered with".

Archived